Chanote

Batstuff

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a chanote for land in a village? Where we are we own about 4 rai but have no chanote, in this village the village headman holds all the paper, records... Is there a process that anyone has done to get a chanote?

yes, the wifes village is off the beaten track and has been surveyed, paper titles of different type for many many years. 20 plus years?  around 25 years ago they split some large land lots up in too smaller lots,  the wife has been in and out of court trying to sort some old family claims out on split land....in the past 2/3 or so years the land survey team were out re surveying land that was due an upgrade of status, mostly to chanote, this upgrade has to be held for ten years before "legal" sales can take place by named owner/s. there has/was talk about this upgrade for some years before it happened, type of que me thinks. 

at different times the wife has had the local land office survey team out (payed) to re survey land she was selling/buying, the head guy said to me 6 or 7 years ago that the "plan" was to get all of thailand surveyed and registered... but when? from what i heard some land in/around large market towns has yet to receive classification, so its just a waiting game...

begin with talking to the village head man, he will know whats happening or should? then if no joy a trip to the nearest land registry office, if i were you i would let your partner/family sort it all out....

the land that you have, do you/have you been paying tax on it? tax payment time is about now, its payed yearly and will only be a small amount, this payment will be logged somewhere at the local amper and can be used to show claim on said land, when the need arises.

all above is just what i have witnessed in the wifes area, other  areas can/will be different/law to themselves as im sure you are aware....

7 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

yes, the wifes village is off the beaten track and has been surveyed, paper titles of different type for many many years. 20 plus years?  around 25 years ago they split some large land lots up in too smaller lots,  the wife has been in and out of court trying to sort some old family claims out on split land....in the past 2/3 or so years the land survey team were out re surveying land that was due an upgrade of status, mostly to chanote, this upgrade has to be held for ten years before "legal" sales can take place by named owner/s. there has/was talk about this upgrade for some years before it happened, type of que me thinks. 

at different times the wife has had the local land office survey team out (payed) to re survey land she was selling/buying, the head guy said to me 6 or 7 years ago that the "plan" was to get all of thailand surveyed and registered... but when? from what i heard some land in/around large market towns has yet to receive classification, so its just a waiting game...

begin with talking to the village head man, he will know whats happening or should? then if no joy a trip to the nearest land registry office, if i were you i would let your partner/family sort it all out....

the land that you have, do you/have you been paying tax on it? tax payment time is about now, its payed yearly and will only be a small amount, this payment will be logged somewhere at the local amper and can be used to show claim on said land, when the need arises.

all above is just what i have witnessed in the wifes area, other  areas can/will be different/law to themselves as im sure you are aware....

You are right about land tax  I think I payed  13 baht ,but I paid it at our local  Or-Bor-Tor ,not the Amper ,and we could not remember if we paid it  the year before, thay had all our past  records ,and we where late in paying last year ,they even sent us a reminder about paying .

Weather your area is diffent from ours ,and you do pay land tax at your local  Amper ,as this is Thailand who knows .

It's a messy situation in the boonies.

Our land comes under Forestry land not Land office.

So basically the way our set up functions is we hold the 4 title papers in original owners name.

We pay the land rates for one paper in the wife's name and the other 3 we give a copy of the title and money for them to pay the rates(yearly at Tambon).

Although our land is all joined together in one parcel and same Tambon,1 title belongs to one sub village and the other 3 to another.

Also every few years we are required to give the original document back to the previous owner(for a day) to take to the government and say the land is still being used for agricultural purposes.

Our area has been upgraded now to a new village in the Tambon about 3 years ago.

Surveyors have been here twice to map our house land but haven't heard anything since.

No doubt it's done differently in different Amphurs depending on how the Village head at the time interprets it.

There is land in our Amphur's Tambons(9 villages in our Tambon) that have chanote status closer to the Amphur,ours is basically the furtherest away. 

Clear as mud.:smile:

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

You are right about land tax  I think I payed  13 baht ,but I paid it at our local  Or-Bor-Tor ,not the Amper ,and we could not remember if we paid it  the year before, thay had all our past  records ,and we where late in paying last year ,they even sent us a reminder about paying .

Weather your area is diffent from ours ,and you do pay land tax at your local  Amper ,as this is Thailand who knows .

to be 'onest i do get the names of things wrong, all the time, (even our children) so i tend to re name things or people as i see fit.555 or bor tor does sound right.... yes the wife had a reminder sent in the post just before christmas about some back enviromental tax (pays tax on covered area of pig farm and also enviromental tax at same office) total for the year is around 10,000 baht but this bill was under 100 baht.... we are only 3km from the office.... they can hand deliver the "cards" of invite/cash donations for this and but have to send the "red" bill via the post system, surprised they did EMS it.555

if you have idle land it is best to use it or look like it is being used, as when they do survey the lands your neighbours could have encroached by some and you will struggle to get this back. have friend, thai, who does not live in this area but has lands, he was saying the other month that he had lost around10 rai because of this,  the origanal plot was 45/50 rai on old paper work but when they re measured and issued red chanote the title was for 35 rai. wife also has "lost"  land like this over the years but it was on new buys.... and also gained... im sure they have arial photos of most land going back many many 10's of year at the main city land offices, but  general access to this is not easy...