UK: Armed forces paralysis due to Brexit, Rusi warns

webfact

Armed forces paralysis due to Brexit, Rusi warns

A government preoccupation with Brexit has led to "policy paralysis" over the armed forces, a think tank is warning.

The Royal United Services Institute said delays over implementing planned military reductions, including the axing of some warships, aircraft and regiments, had created uncertainty.

Rusi said the UK was risking its reputation as an international partner.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42956296

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-02-06

I'm calling dust of the bull on this. They made a huge mistake with 2 new carriers and the wrong planes and are now trying to cover their butts.

Time for Britain to admit they can't afford a proper military because they wasted all the money, and concentrate on a few coast guard patrol boats and a really good Marine force. They could probably have built 2 new Marine ships with lots of helicopters for cost of one carrier and F35 lemons to sit on it. The stated purpose of the carriers is "the carriers would have an expected service life of up to 50 years and be used for both humanitarian relief and war-fighting, representing "tremendous" value for money." That could be done as well by Marine ships as 2 white elephants with not enough planes.

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Rusi said the UK was risking its reputation as an international partner.

Only people causing that ( and it's already happened ) are the government, though I haven't heard that Labour would care any more than the Tories.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More scaremongering from project fear.

I guess you don't actually know anything about the:

Royal United Services Institute - Wikipedia

"RUSI was founded in 1831 – making it the oldest defence and security think tank in the world – at the initiative of the Duke of Wellington. Its original mission was to study naval and military science."

When the RUSI says something it is invariably correct and invariably irritating for UK governments of all persuasions.

Project Fearmongers? :

Patron

President

Chairman

Senior Vice President

Vice Chairman

Edited by Enoon

18 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"RUSI was founded in 1831 – making it the oldest defence and security think tank in the world – at the initiative of the Duke of Wellington. Its original mission was to study naval and military science."

When the RUSI says something it is invariably correct and invariably irritating for UK governments of all persuasions.

Project Fearmongers? :

Patron

President

Chairman

Senior Vice President

Vice Chairman

So, where have they been while the past several governments have gutted and ruined the British military? Lizzie hasn't used her pulpit to say boo about it.

If all they can come up with is "The Royal United Services Institute said delays over implementing planned military reductions.............had created uncertainty.", IMO not worth listening to.

They should have been shouting from the rooftops for decades.

I can't imagine how Lizzie keeps her mush closed as she oversees the biggest retreat by the British military in centuries.

39 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Project Fearmongers? :

Patron

President

Chairman

Senior Vice President

Vice Chairman

Splendid retort!

Maybe the think tank (and that is what it is despite the list of high placed members) was criticising the remaoners for continuing to interfere with the exit process with there efforts to overturn the democratic decision.

1 hour ago, alant said:

Maybe the think tank (and that is what it is despite the list of high placed members) was criticising the remaoners for continuing to interfere with the exit process with there efforts to overturn the democratic decision.

Show me where in the legislation that created the advisory Brexit Referendum it stated it was a "one off decision never to be challenged, reversed or voted on again" please.

Democracy - where inept politicians can be voted out and where the public can reverse bad decisions when they wish.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

More scaremongering from project fear. Brexit hasn't even happened. Have a look who actually fulfills their NATO contributions. More claptrap.

BTW I have just read its snowing in the UK. Brexit is to blame for that too!

Why don't you read what is being said instead of yet another rant about Brexit.  It is obvious to everyone and their dog that there is going to be uncertainty about military reductions until the government has agreed future collaboration with Europe.  All this non news article is doing is stating the bleeding obvious!

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

It will be a better day, when the Brexit is done and the islands are out of the EU.

Then they can think on their own again, and not have to lieten tonthenother members

whine and carry on.

Geezer

I do agree with you that we need to get Brexit over with.  At the moment it is like being in a dentists waiting room waiting for an extraction, knowing that pretty soon you will have to go through some pain and will be leaving the surgery with less than you arrived with. :smile:

On 2/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, Baerboxer said:

Show me where in the legislation that created the advisory Brexit Referendum it stated it was a "one off decision never to be challenged, reversed or voted on again" please.

Democracy - where inept politicians can be voted out and where the public can reverse bad decisions when they wish.

Your argument on if a referendum is binding is one thing especially when it is often said another referendum may be held, how valid therefore is that. The last PM for better or worse said the british people would decide and made a referendum the procedure for the electorate to express their wishes. It has been argues that Heaths decision to take the UK into the EU without a general election or referendum was against UK law but we went in. There was a referendum in 1975 I believe that was probably to make good the illegal membership (if that was the case) but according to you that was also non binding.

I was shocked that Brexit voters won the referendum, I expected a Remain win and should that have happened I would have been thankful for the opportunity to express my view. I would not have thrown a tantrum and claimed it' not fair.

26 minutes ago, alant said:

Your argument on if a referendum is binding is one thing especially when it is often said another referendum may be held, how valid therefore is that. The last PM for better or worse said the british people would decide and made a referendum the procedure for the electorate to express their wishes. It has been argues that Heaths decision to take the UK into the EU without a general election or referendum was against UK law but we went in. There was a referendum in 1975 I believe that was probably to make good the illegal membership (if that was the case) but according to you that was also non binding.

I was shocked that Brexit voters won the referendum, I expected a Remain win and should that have happened I would have been thankful for the opportunity to express my view. I would not have thrown a tantrum and claimed it' not fair.

Heath!

Seems to me the only thing the UK has had too much of since WW2 is bad PMs.