How do you show money at Savanakhet for a tourist visa?

@torrow

I used a screen shot of my UK TSB account.

About 500 m down from the consulate, that's downhill, back into town, there is a shop selling school stuff that has an internet connection and a photocopy service. You can log in to your internet banking and print it off there. But it would be easier to prepare everything at home before you set off for Laos if possible.

The shop is somewhere near this Google Map reference

16.576414, 104.755220

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xyznot said:

Are there people who actually travel internationally on an airplane with less than $600 (20,000 baht)? 

Is there a rule that you have to? The OP is asking what is required at Savanakhet to obtain a Tourist Visa where FYI they do not accept cash as proof

2 hours ago, xyznot said:

Are there people who actually travel internationally on an airplane with less than $600 (20,000 baht)? 

Some people, especially those from countries that have mostly ceased using cash, assume that they are safe relying on electronic transactions and credit cards. When they are entering Thailand, that may not be precisely true, but they should easily be able to get the cash they need with credit cards or good bank cards. Even in Thailand, those who exist in high class hotels and restaurants, take organized tours, and otherwise travel in hotel limos will only need a little cash for tips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Is there a rule that you have to? The OP is asking what is required at Savanakhet to obtain a Tourist Visa where FYI they do not accept cash as proof

Yes, since Jan 2017, you need to show funds in a bank a/c in your name to get a tourist visa at Savannakhet.

3 hours ago, xyznot said:

Almost all visa runners enter Laos via a land border. There is a flight from Bangkok but most fliers chose to fly domestically to Nakhon Phanom.

Cash counts for nothing when attempting to gain a tourist visa. You must show funds in a bank account.

Your points are not relevant to this useful thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to show a bank statement (print or a screenshot will be accepted) or a bank book. I have not heard of any rule for how up to date it should be.

Are you saying they don't actually require a printed copy and just seeing a screen shot on your phone is sufficient.?

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

@torrow

I used a screen shot of my UK TSB account.

About 500 m down from the consulate, that's downhill, back into town, there is a shop selling school stuff that has an internet connection and a photocopy service. You can log in to your internet banking and print it off there. But it would be easier to prepare everything at home before you set off for Laos if possible.

The shop is somewhere near this Google Map reference

16.576414, 104.755220

Thanks for the info. Yes, I can print this before I leave but that will be a couple of days before I arrive at the consulate. Wasn't sure if that was acceptable.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, since Jan 2017, you need to show funds in a bank a/c in your name to get a tourist visa at Savannakhet.

Yes I am aware of that I was replying to the poster who made some stupid comment on people  who travel on a plane with less than 20k which is nothing to do with what the OP is asking

• Like 2

I met a few western friends last month, the consulate told them that they need to show money in the latest bank statement or latest ATM slip with balance. Then they went to opposite and pay to the shop to do everything for them. Just pay 1,000 baht for service charge. 

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not that I want to hijack the topic, but how does one get from Nakhon Phanom airport to Savannakhet?

If use the fly/ride service offered by Nok Air or Air Asia to Mukdahan the transport is included.

Info for Nok Air service via 3 regional airports. https://content.nokair.com/en/Booking/Where-we-fly/Flight-Service/Fly-n-Ride/Sakon-Nakhon-Mukdahan

16 hours ago, xyznot said:

What a hipster.

I don’t go anywhere without gold bars, plus a few nuggets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP,

I have them:

A photocopy of my passbook from Bangkok Bank.

A print out of my UK ISA from April (this was December)

I can’t guarantee these will be accepted, but if you have a chunk of money in foreign account I’m guessing they won’t care too much.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What's wrong with the cash in the pocket?.....can't better that.

At they consulate, they want something for their paper files. If you want to leave the cash with them as part of your application, perhaps that would be accepted.

• Haha 1

7 months ago it was either a bank account (proof) with 20,000 baht or a plane ticket out of Thailand at the end of the trip.  The standard is a recently updated book (which may have some different interpretations) -- but my guess is that if it is updated more than a week ago you could have issues (depending on the size of the cash in the account - the closer to the minimum - the less wiggle room [IMHO]).  They typically like a photocopy and to see the original on submission. I typically update my bank book just before leaving Thailand so my last transaction was the 2nd and the application was submitted on the 6th (with a balance more than 10 times the minimum). [will get my passport today]

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What's wrong with the cash in the pocket?.....can't better that.

Cash is not acceptable for application - does not provide the warm fuzzy feeling of being on the up-and-up.   Thai Embassy in Canada no longer even accepts cash for the fee - must be a money order or bank draft.

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Almost all visa runners enter Laos via a land border. There is a flight from Bangkok but most fliers chose to fly domestically to Nakhon Phanom.

Cash counts for nothing when attempting to gain a tourist visa. You must show funds in a bank account.

Your points are not relevant to this useful thread.

Thanks for saying that.  I didn't know that and missed the significance of Ubon Joe's post about it.