Driver's License

SOTIRIOS

It won't be legit unless you provide an international permit or a current licence from your own country, do a colour, reaction and perception test, or failing that you sit for a Thai licence answering the questionaire and doing a practical test. I'm unaware of any shortcuts that are legal. I think I'm telling you the obvious.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....thanks for that....

...license expired long ago....

...I guess I should investigate the process you mention....

...it may actually cost a lot less too....???

Around 500 baht.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, giddyup said:

Around 500 baht.

In terms of money, yes. In terms of your time? That's entirely another matter. Even if things go without a hitch, it will take a full day (and possibly a day and a half) to get your Thai driver's licence.  

Just now, Fat Prophet said:

In terms of money, yes. In terms of your time? That's entirely another matter. Even if things go without a hitch, it will take a full day (and possibly a day and a half) to get your Thai driver's licence.  

Maybe, if you actually have to sit for a practical driving test, but to renew a 5 year licence took around 2 hours. Obviously the time will differ from location to location. Anyway, if you have retired here, as most have, time is of little consequence.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, SOTIRIOS said:

....thanks for that....

...license expired long ago....

...I guess I should investigate the process you mention....

...it may actually cost a lot less too....???

Do you mean that your Thai licence expired long ago or your home country licence?

If you're in Bangkok and you haven't got a current foreign licence you'll have to do the full test, if you have a current foreign licence then you only need do the reaction, depth perception and colour tests then sit through a 1 hour video that you don't even need to watch.

I used an agent, Fatboy's, for B1,900 (https://www.facebook.com/pg/Fatboysmotorbikerentals/services/?ref=page_internal) only because my Thai is not good enough to guarantee that the procedure would run smoothly.  They assist in guiding you through the application until you walk out of the LTD with your new licence, they do not assist in any dodgy manoeuvers or get you a licence that you couldn't get yourself.  No officials are paid anything except the normal fee for the licence  They make it very easy...if you're in Bangkok.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Maybe, if you actually have to sit for a practical driving test, but to renew a 5 year licence took around 2 hours. Obviously the time will differ from location to location. Anyway, if you have retired here, as most have, time is of little consequence.

The OP clearly is looking to get his first Thai driving licence, which requires the written test (with a 1 hour movie before the test), and then the color blindness, depth perception and brake reaction tests, followed by the road test, all with waiting periods in between. Only a full day if you are lucky (if you do not pass the written test and need to retake it, the driving test will certainly be the next day; as is the case if you want both the car and motorcycle licences). And retired or not, your time is valuable and should not be wasted. And if "time is of little consequence" you really do need to get a life/hobby -- perhaps bridge or darts. I am in no way suggesting that the OP takes "a short cut" to getting a Thai driver's licence, but strictly from a cost (and boredom) perspective, the price (in money) quoted by the OP is "cheap". There are few things (the dentist being the only one that comes to mind) more painful than spending (wasting) a day+ at the DLT offices. But YMMV. :wai: 

1 hour ago, Fat Prophet said:

And retired or not, your time is valuable and should not be wasted. And if "time is of little consequence" you really do need to get a life/hobby -- perhaps bridge or darts. I am in no way suggesting that the OP takes "a short cut" to getting a Thai driver's licence, but strictly from a cost (and boredom) perspective, the price (in money) quoted by the OP is "cheap". There are few things (the dentist being the only one that comes to mind) more painful than spending (wasting) a day+ at the DLT offices. But YMMV. :wai: 

You have to "waste time" at immigration don't you, or waiting to see a doctor or at the airport, or perhaps stuck in traffic, or does throwing money at them also shortcut those waits?. A day spent getting a Thai licence that will last, at least initially,  for 2 years, then 5 years, in my book is inconsequential, but perhaps you are  discovering a cure for cancer, and I can see where your time would be more valuable.

Edited by giddyup

A lot of retirees have time so just do it yourself for 500 baht, get the brain in gear
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Obtaining a Thai Licence (Car or Bike) is one of the simplest things you can do yourself in within the realm of Thai officialdom... 

You need a License from your home country, if this is in English you may not need an IDP (a most DLT offices - i.e. DLT Area 3 Sukhumvit 99/1)

You need a few other documents too...  

1) home country licence 

2) Passport

3) Affirmation of Residence (or work permit)

4) Medical Certificate

Depending only your current status (license) you will either have to do a couple of tests (color, proximity, reaction tests) and sit a video, or take the full test. 

All very easy to do yourself - no handholding required... 

• Like 1

Obtaining a Thai Licence (Car or Bike) is one of the simplest things you can do yourself in within the realm of Thai officialdom... 

You need a License from your home country, if this is in English you may not need an IDP (a most DLT offices - i.e. DLT Area 3 Sukhumvit 99/1)

You need a few other documents too...  
1) home country licence 
2) Passport
3) Affirmation of Residence (or work permit)
4) Medical Certificate

Depending only your current status (license) you will either have to do a couple of tests (color, proximity, reaction tests) and sit a video, or take the full test. 

All very easy to do yourself - no handholding required... 

Yes its easy, why people pay 2000+ baht for someone to hold their hand is a mystery

If you don't have a licence from your home country....its a bit more difficult.
If you speak/understand not a word of Thai...its quite difficult.
In Pattaya its easy with no Thai, the people serving you speak a little English, and you just watch what is going on. It truly is easy but people are a bit apprehensive about doing it

1 hour ago, johng said:

If you don't have a licence from your home country....its a bit more difficult.
If you speak/understand not a word of Thai...its quite difficult.

Agreed, it can be a little more challenging if you don't speak any Thai at all... but its not difficult... It's just applying for a driving license - if you have the correct documents the process is a simple one. 

Besides, there are always very helpful people at these places... and for the most part there is always someone who speaks English to point you in the right direction.

If someone needs their hand holding for something as simple as this I wonder what other difficulties they face in every day life.

As someone else mentioned - it just takes a little patience... hardly worth paying someone else to do unless you can avoid the queues all together... 

I don't wish to side track op thread. Just one question if possible. I wish to obtain thai licence. I have an au licence and was thinking of going to au embassy to obtain "affirmation of residence" I believe its costly at USA embassy (for USA passport holders). Has anyone done this at au embassy, cost etc?

BTW the above discussion about using an agent, I would do that in a blink. As it seems I need part of one day to au embassy and another for the licence. Thankyou

Edited by DrJack54
Error

On 12/1/2018 at 2:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

I have an au licence and was thinking of going to au embassy to obtain "affirmation of residence" I believe its costly at USA embassy (for USA passport holders). Has anyone done this at au embassy, cost etc?

Don't know how much AU embassy charges.. but it would almost certainly be cheaper to get a "residence certificate" from your local immigration office.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Don't know how much AU embassy charges.. but it would almost certainly be cheaper to get a "residence certificate" from your local immigration office.

Johng. Could you advise what I need to take. I have lease of condo. As for tm30 (think that's the one) I sent my tm30 to imm by mail several years ago and haven't change address in that time. Thanks for your advice in post above.

It depends where you live...some offices are more "requiring" than others  where do you live ???

but  you'll need for sure passport,condo lease documents, couple of passport size photos

(copies of everything)

maybe/probably copies signed by them of condo owners ID and or House book  ..maybe some small payment to get the certificate ( yes it should be free)  and fill in a form at the immigration.