Help ! Advice needed following recent unexpected problem at Don Muang Immigration

Just now, OJAS said:

But the OP could obtain a non-O in Vientiane based on being aged over 50. This strikes me as his best course of action.

Not as easy as you imply to get a non-o visa there.

Vientiane wants a police clearance and a medical certificate plus financial proof.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The extension would still be renewable in May and the OP would be in the UK.

Read the OP's opening thread and give it some thought.

An extension of stay (not an entry stamp) is for one year, if the op got an extension of stay either through an agent, or via I/O, it would still expire in one year. Agents skip the O visa step, you walk in with an visa exempt and walk out with an extension of stay.

Yes its corrupt etc, but widely used, I only mentioned it because the OP says he will use the agent route when he comes back in the future, I was pointing out that he can use the agent route now and solve all his problems.

48 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Had a friend go down that route, cost him 40,000 baht, then his local Immigration office refused to do his 90 day reports.

Told him to go back to Bangkok, the agent, or whoever issued the extension.

He ended up having to do border runs every 90 days for a year.

Have several friends who do this no problems at all

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But the OP could obtain a non-O in Vientiane based on being aged over 50. This strikes me as his best course of action.

I think the OP has already found the solution to his problem.

Not sure which Thai Embassies/Consulates will issue a single Non Imm O based on being 50 and single anymore.

More and more seem to be dropping that option.

If anyone knows it's our man UJ.  :smile:

Edited by Tanoshi

34 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

He already filed a TM28 and TM30, no problems.

What they didn't like was the fact his Extension was dated one day after the Non Imm was issued.

That was a dead give away it was obtained through corrupt methods.

The correct procedure and you don't need to use corrupt agents,

You must have at least 15 days permission to stay from your Visa exempt or TV. Apply for a change of Visa status, or a Visa. (Non Imm O)

14 days later return to obtain the Non Imm O. (90 days)

Within the last 30 days of that 90 days apply for the extension.

For the conversion to a Non Imm O funds must be shown to have come from abroad.

By the time the extension comes around, funds have been seasoned in a Thai bank for the required 2 months.

.first time I got extension I did it in jontiem got the non o the same day as the extension 15months on first one normal most get non o and ext on same day

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

An extension of stay (not an entry stamp) is for one year, if the op got an extension of stay either through an agent, or via I/O, it would still expire in one year. Agents skip the O visa step, you walk in with an visa exempt and walk out with an extension of stay.

Yes its corrupt etc, but widely used, I only mentioned it because the OP says he will use the agent route when he comes back in the future, I was pointing out that he can use the agent route now and solve all his problems.

No they don't.

The Non O and extension are issued within a day, or days of each other giving permission to stay for 15 months in total.

Without the Non O stamp they couldn't get further extensions in the future.

6 minutes ago, Ditto said:

.first time I got extension I did it in jontiem got the non o the same day as the extension 15months on first one normal most get non o and ext on same day

And you paid an exorbitant fee for something you could have done the legal route for only 3,900 baht.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Agents can do all sorts of clever solutions, conversion to retire extension etc in a couple of days.

i like to see the passport stamps that show a conversion and a years extension done in a few days. a conversion takes at least 2 weeks, then 2 months to wait before doing the yearly extension, even if the yearly extension is done immediately after the non 'O' is issued, it would all take longer than a few days.

from Pattaya the conversion non 'O' has to go to Bangkok to be approved, which takes 2 weeks or more.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

i like to see the passport stamps that show a conversion and a years extension done in a few days. a conversion takes at least 2 weeks, then 2 months to wait before doing the yearly extension, even if the yearly extension is done immediately after the non 'O' is issued, it would all take longer than a few days.

Those same rules obviously dont apply to agents, the same as driving schools can skip a couple of the steps involved in getting a license, transferring a car etc. A bank manager can skip a couple of requirements for opening an account etc.

The agents are just offering a pay extra service for options not available to the public, You can pay Thai elite extra money to get a visa not available through normal channels 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Agents can do all sorts of clever solutions, conversion to retire extension etc in a couple of days.

They can do a lot, but it depends on your situation,  The ones I contacted needed approximately 3-4 weeks, during which time they would be in possession of my passport and I couldn't travel outside the country.  I may still do that, but that will require some advance planning to be stuck for 3-4 weeks without going on overstay.  Otherwise, they say I have to go to my home country (60+ hour round trip) to start with a different visa. 

Since they only get paid if they get the work, I'm assuming they're being straight with me...

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Those same rules obviously dont apply to agents,

The rules are the same, you just pay to have them ignored.

Not only are you condoning corruption, your actively encouraging it.

For someone who was overjoyed at getting the Thai price for admission to Pattaya's floating Market

I know its only 200 baht, but more the principle. Made me happy.

Your principles appear to diminish when it suits your needs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i'm not sure about this one but what if the OP gets an extension on the visa exempt entry (that carries him through to his departure date in april).  then when he goes to vietnam, get a reentry permit to keep his current permit to stay 'alive'.  that way, when he comes back, he's already got an approved permit to stay.  maybe the I/O won't be too tough.  not sure they offer reentry permits to 30 day ext of visa exempt (and i'm not sure on the travel dates, is the vietnam trip after the window opens on obtaining the extension).

could also pay 1,200thb for the meet and greet service at don mueang which might help when going through immigration.  definitely avoid female I/O's at don mueang.  don't get in their line if you can help it.

i've used agents in the past when i've had a 'problem'.  sometimes it is worth the money to resolve the issue short term.  then, get back on the 'normal' track later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

i like to see the passport stamps that show a conversion and a years extension done in a few days

They do exist Steve, seen plenty of them.

Non O stamp on a Tuesday, extension stamped on Wednesday.

With a good agent you don't even have to attend Immigration.

You've got to either not have the available proof of income/funds, be totally lazy, or just stupid enough to believe the extra 36,100 baht above the actual cost is for ''express service''. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, capo 5 said:

If i had posted this i would be completely at a loss because apart from a few replies which did address what he is asking the rest has been hijacked.He wants advice on what he can do in the short term!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He's been given it.

Option 1. Forget the Vietnam trip and get a 30 day extension at Jomtien.

Option 2. Apply for a TV in Vietnam and re-enter at land border crossing. (Avoid DM).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My advice would be to either get a visa exempt by crossing a land border and then extend this for an extra 30 days.Or get a new tourist visa and enter by land border.A new tourist visa in my opinion would be the best option for now.I hope all goes well for you and next time you will be able to sort out a different visa.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, pks555 said:

Thank you for the prompt replies and advice . Yes , I realise I had bad luck and also that I'm now on the radar .  In the longer term I know what to do later this year . I know how to arrive on a Tourist Visa , convert to a longer visa following by obtaining a Retirement Visa . I meet the criteria . I could also get a multi entry Tourist Visa from the Hull consulate as I meet  the criteria -I dont get a state pension for another four years but I do receive an employment pension which the consulate  have said they will accept .

The advice I need is about my SHORT TERM situation and how to stay until April 3 . Thats why I asked for views about the wisdom of taking the one week trip to Vietnam - would it be risky on return ?

Alternatively , if I applied  at Jomtien Immigration for a 30 day extension from 6 March  would they be likely to grant this as per previous years ?  From a practical perspective thats an easy option but would it work and what are there any implications if it were rejected.

And the other options are a land border visa run for another 30 days ( risky ? ) or a trip to Laos for a new Tourist Visa and return by land at Nong Khai.

I would appreciate advice about my short term situation as thats whats worrying me now

Thanks

1) the extension will almost certainly be given, AFIK no problem if refused. Go a little early so you can arrange a flight/border run if turned down.

2) do not fly in to DMK. use BKK if you have to fly in.

3) do a fly ride to savanakhet or fly to Vientiane for a visa then come in over land.

either of these are unlikely to be any difficulty 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not as easy as you imply to get a non-o visa there.

Vientiane wants a police clearance and a medical certificate plus financial proof.

And it is 

1. Certificate of income of not less than 65,000 baht per month from the embassy / consulate of the country of residence or a letter from a bank in Thailand showing financial status of not less than 800,000 baht and in the bank account no less. Over 3 months
  1. Evidence of criminal background checks from the country of residence.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Agents are probably reliable when having them do something straight-forward that you could have done on your own. As the amount of "magic" required to get something done increases, the likelihood  that what they do will come back to bite you in the derriere also increases considerably.

If any I/O notices that he arrived on a visa exempt entry, was flagged & questioned at DM and then completed the conversion to a non-imm O entry and  obtained an extension based on retirement and a re-entry permit almost immediately thereafter, bells, whistles and red flags could explode when he next arrives.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capo 5 said:

My advice would be to either get a visa exempt by crossing a land border and then extend this for an extra 30 days.Or get a new tourist visa and enter by land border.A new tourist visa in my opinion would be the best option for now.I hope all goes well for you and next time you will be able to sort out a different visa

That's pretty much what he's been doing.

6 hours ago, pks555 said:

For several years I have travelled to Thailand early/mid November returning to UK mid /late March . I have done this by purchasing a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa , extending it by 30 days at Immigration , and then either doing a land border  visa run for a further 30 days followed by a 30 day extension or travelling to another country & returning to get 30 days plus the extension .

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

They do exist Steve, seen plenty of them.

Non O stamp on a Tuesday, extension stamped on Wednesday.

With a good agent you don't even have to attend Immigration.

You've got to either not have the available proof of income/funds, be totally lazy, or just stupid enough to believe the extra 36,100 baht above the actual cost is for ''express service''. 

yes but not the conversion can not done in a few days, i did post ''even if the yearly extension is done immediately after the non 'O' is issued, it would all take longer than a few days. it was the few days for everything when i would like to see the stamps

7 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

short term for this ear, fly to anywhere nearby an apply for a Tourist visa, come back by land.

NEXT time:
ur going to need be here for at LEAST 3 months.

apply for a non immigrant O visa (reason ..over 50) valid for 90 days, open a bank account ( or u might have one already) put 800,000 in it , after 2 months apply for a 1 year Retirement extension.   quite easy, you dont need an agent.

Makes sure before u leave u apply for and have a re-entry permit.  wont ever have any more problems at immigration and u will be 100% legal.

You can never tell anyone they won't ever have problems with Thai Immigration, a lot can depend on what side of the bed they get out of, and each immigration office makes up their own rules.

I have never done a 90 day report personally since I had a very nasty experience a few years ago, and I have never put a foot wrong since I came to this country.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Had a friend go down that route, cost him 40,000 baht, then his local Immigration office refused to do his 90 day reports.

Told him to go back to Bangkok, the agent, or whoever issued the extension.

He ended up having to do border runs every 90 days for a year.

Why would your friend pay 40,000 baht for a service that's widely available for 15,000?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

From personal experience, agents do not 'skip the O visa step': they apply for a conversion, obtain it, then apply for an extension of stay for that O visa.

Edited by Mark1066