Maid Question

islitsa

Expat Friends,

I interviewed a part time maid today : excellent english, 10+ of experience of being a maid/babysitter/cook. I need her to cook dinner and do very small chores ( about 3 hrs a day) Monday through Friday. She is asking 2,500 Baht a week for basically 15 hrs of work - is that too much? She also seemed very hesitant about doing our small laundry (socks and underware). But her English is excellent and she certainly seemed professional. Please give me your opinion.

Expat Friends,

I interviewed a part time maid today : excellent english, 10+ of experience of being a maid/babysitter/cook. I need her to cook dinner and do very small chores ( about 3 hrs a day) Monday through Friday. She is asking 2,500 Baht a week for basically 15 hrs of work - is that too much? She also seemed very hesitant about doing our small laundry (socks and underware). But her English is excellent and she certainly seemed professional. Please give me your opinion.

Way too much.

If she is just doing household chores and some cooking then that is over the top.

I pay my maid 8K per month for 6 days, approx 6 hrs per day, and that is a decent wage !!

Expat Friends,

I would think that her having to attend to you 3 hours per day would prevent her from effective employment elsewhere....because of travel, mealtimes, etc.

Perhaps this is her daily rate? Will she work longer hours for the same wage?

If it is worth it to you.....hire her.

Expat Friends,

Way too much.

If she is just doing household chores and some cooking then that is over the top.

I pay my maid 8K per month for 6 days, approx 6 hrs per day, and that is a decent wage !!

does your maid have any friends who are looking for the employment i am describing? :o

Expat Friends,

Way too much.

does your maid have any friends who are looking for the employment i am describing? :o

I will check around.

Where in Bangkok are you?

Do you live in Condo or house?

Expat Friends,

Way too much.

I will check around.

We live at a condo Sukhumvit Soi 24

Thank you :D

Expat Friends,

Way too much.

I will check around.

We live at a condo Sukhumvit Soi 24

Thank you :D

I live the other side of Bangkok, but I will ask around. Maybe also have a look at www. bambiweb.org, that is a website run by mothers and can normally put you in touch with maids and nannies

Expat Friends,

While the cost is a bit steep, good maids that stick around are hard to find. If she is perfect for the job you want, don't be too concerned with whether you pay a bit more than someone else. That person's great maid maybe gone tomorrow.

2,500 for a maid who comes 5 days a week and speaks English is a decent price unless you live in a studio. You can hire someone for less, but you may also get less. What seems like 15 hours to you will probably be 20 hours for her. Also, if ironing is involved, it will take longer. Think about how much it would cost to launder all your clothes using an outside service and then compare. Also, how big is your place and how many people will she have to take care of?

Some Thais feel a woman should not wash a mans under garments and vice-versa. You need to be clear with her if she is expected to do this. Also, if this is your first maid, be prepared for some serious trial and error. You need to be firm, yet patient. You may even have to teach her to separate whites from darks in the laundry.

Don't forget to get a copy of her id. Also, be prepared that if she finds full-time employment, she will leave - I lost two maids this way. You can keep her longer if you find someone else in your building to split her with - she goes there when not working for you.

Other issues: Determine if she will get a New Year's bonus, or a Thai New Years bonus, and make it clear which one she will get. Since we are close to Songkran, I would go with Thai New Years, and give her a minimal bonus this year. Also, explain the salary, expectation, what to do if she is sick, etc. up front.

JacknDanny: 5,500 baht per week (6 days) is what I paid a full-time, live-in maid; so your 8,000 would be ok if she did not live with you - but part-time is different.

Expat Friends,

I also think it is too much, but as others have said it might actually be her rate is if she is working full-time. I have had four maids over the years and none were reluctant to wash anything of mine...

why not do it yourself,or do you desperately require status.

Actually, it has absolutely zero to do with status. both my husband and i work long hours and he goes to school at night. most of the time i come home absolutely wasted - not enough energy to cook. i like thai food but maybe a few times a week (i eat it about every day at lunch) so i would like some homemade western food for dinner - also something healthy as my health is not the best.

the price goes up with the quality of english and the head aches go down but 300 baht a day is a good price. my suggestion is take her on for a week trial and watch how she mops the floor, does she change the water and keep the mop clean or just use the same mop and water the entire cleaning, does she do windows and most importantly how is she with the kids. If she is mindful of the childrens needs, keeps them clean and fed, can keep the house clean and neat, stays pro active and cooks pay her a bonus.

Actually, it has absolutely zero to do with status. both my husband and i work long hours and he goes to school at night. most of the time i come home absolutely wasted - not enough energy to cook. i like thai food but maybe a few times a week (i eat it about every day at lunch) so i would like some homemade western food for dinner - also something healthy as my health is not the best.

Great level answer to a stupid, provocative statement that your post doesn't deserve.

Hope you post more often on TV.

Edited by OlRedEyes

Great level answer to a stupid, provocative statement that your post doesn't deserve.

Hope you post more often on TV.

peel me a grape :o

I want to find a live in aswell , but where do i get one. No idea

A live?

You need a dictionary first. Then you need to get a 'life'.

I want to find "a live in" aswell

AND, you should read the posts before writing your sarcastic comments ( and then you perhaps can get that "life" (whatever that is) that you are advising others to get. :o:D

Edited by john b good

good lord, been thailand long, still fighting the the guilt that you can afford help? or perhaps you cant.

as for 2500 a week. it is too much for a maid.

it is great for a compent maid/cook/nanny who speaks english and knows how to take care of a "modern" household

good lord, been thailand long, still fighting the the guilt that you can afford help? or perhaps you cant.

as for 2500 a week. it is too much for a maid.

it is great for a compent maid/cook/nanny who speaks english and knows how to take care of a "modern" household

Oh ######, I am guilty of not clearly reading the post. I thought the 2,500 was for a month, not a week. 2,500 a week is crazy for a part-time maid, I don’t care how good her English is. You are topping salaries for people working full-time with degrees and speak English.

My part-time maid gets 2,700 a month, but has no English. I pay a premium because I know she is honest and want to keep her – though her work quality is now sliding.