Are the free VPN's any good?

giddyup

I bought ExpressVPN last month, quite happy with it.

You can let it choose country based on speed, sometimes it's Singapore, at the movement it's Hong Kong but you can off-course choose a specific country if you want.

I pay around 100$ per year and got 3 month for free.

Same account let me use the VPN service for free on my Android tablet

I use SaferVPN (Paid) which I have found to be ok sometimes - it still buffers from time to time.

It works in various countries and allows me to access UK TV. 

Two Issues: I just had a little frightener when trying to watch the Winter Olympics on iPlayer which recognised I was outside of the UK (or that I was using a VPN)... maybe Safer was very fast in its reaction as 10mins later it worked again (changed IP's ?).

The other issue: I use Apple TV a lot and SaferVPN does not have an App which would be very useful.

Free VPN's... I've never had reliable enough service.. 

Ditto for me regarding StrongVPN....was with them for 5 years or so...but switched a couple years ago since their speed was slow and quite a few other VPN service providers were significantly cheaper and faster.   I should have switched earlier but the plan I had with them was fair enough price-wise (but no longer available) and I really don't use a VPN that much, but definitely need VPN sometimes.  I've been with PureVPN for a couple of years now and satisfied with them...lot faster than StrongVPN was...I'm on a PureVPN 5-year now that works out to $1.15/month.  

On 2/9/2018 at 10:08 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree. Unfortunately I bought a 1-year before I saw the 2-year offer :sad:

Well, neither you nor Bangkok Barry got the best pricing deal which NORDVPN offers!

I just signed onto Nord... they have a 3-year deal for $2.70/month (about 3,000-Bt total for 3-years!

This is not an advertised deal...I had to search for it! [go to some of the websites which offer coupon deals and I found it there.]

Both Nord and Express are the two best of the many VPN's; Express is slightly faster, quite expensive and located in the Brit Virgin Isles, but Nord is located in Panama (much safer IMHO.) and I get good speed from Nord.

If either of you are still within 30-days of your initial subscription, you can cancel it and get deal I have. 

You just again log onto Nord to put '3year' as the code for the deal.

Edited by LukDod
correct spacing problem
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have Kaspersky Total Internet Security with VPN, seems to work ok though can be a bit slow.    Unlimited downloads if you need them.     Doesn't seem to drop out when changing locations ( country ).

It helps with BBC iPlayer but BBC still asks for licence to download.

A VPN is useful for watching sites not normally available e.g. some Dailymotion's TV series, Sky News ( not that Sky News is much good ) but sometimes you have to use a particular country to view, example Sky to view UK, Netherlands etc.  

There is the new Free version of Kaspersky but downloads are limited to 200mb per day.   You can choose from 18 countries.

I recently logged on to a site in the US, the message was " It appears you are accessing our website from France ( my choice of country ), but you have reached our website for US."

There’s a lot of cheap VPN apps out on the market today. For instance if to take for example China (you know about its censirship) many of these VPNs are not designed for China’s internet filter. These cheap VPNs are hastily put together apps with only a basic OpenVPN type connection and limited server choices and bandwidth. This is a problem since the Great Firewall internet filter in China is sophisticated enough to block basic OpenVPN connections. So my advice read Anta Net reviews and get a decent vpn service like Nord vpn or Vyrp vpn. The last one is the fastest vpn in china that I know.

There’s a lot of cheap VPN apps out on the market today. For instance if to take for example China (you know about its censirship) many of these VPNs are not designed for China’s internet filter. These cheap VPNs are hastily put together apps with only a basic OpenVPN type connection and limited server choices and bandwidth. This is a problem since the Great Firewall internet filter in China is sophisticated enough to block basic OpenVPN connections. So my advice read Anta Net reviews and get a decent vpn service like Nord vpn or Vyrp vpn. The last one is the fastest vpn in china that I know.
I thought that the topic was VPNs for use in Thailand.

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:
18 minutes ago, MuntyC0re said:

I thought that the topic was VPNs for use in Thailand.

I just give an example, if such vpns as Nord and Vyrp work in china they will work everywhere

I just give an example, if such vpns as Nord and Vyrp work in china they will work everywhere

Fair enough, but Opera's free VPN seems to "work" from here too. It does have flaws, such as DNS leaks under certain circumstances, but it doesn't fail to spoof your main IP address. Most other VPNs basically "work" from here too, unless you're trying to fool the NSA or require lightening fast speeds they are good enough for most people's purposes. And I don't agree that there's anything fundamentally wrong with using OpenVPN - sometimes open source projects are more secure than proprietary software.

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Fair enough, but Opera's free VPN seems to "work" from here too. It does have flaws, such as DNS leaks under certain circumstances, but it doesn't fail to spoof your main IP address. Most other VPNs basically "work" from here too, unless you're trying to fool the NSA or require lightening fast speeds they are good enough for most people's purposes. And I don't agree that there's anything fundamentally wrong with using OpenVPN - sometimes open source projects are more secure than proprietary software.

sure other free vpn can work but it doesn't mean that it will give your a privacy 'cause China government for example watch any internet activity

sure other free vpn can work but it doesn't mean that it will give your a privacy 'cause China government for example watch any internet activity
I suppose that whether it "works" depends upon your reasons for using a VPN. If it's just to spoof your geographical location or to keep a man-in-the middle from snooping on you when using a public hotspot, a great number of VPNs "work". But if a spy agency takes an interest in you even a highly rated VPN may be of no use. In the particular case of the Chinese, the main difficulty that they have in cracking down on VPNs is that they can't prohibit multinational corporations from using VPNs, so they can only selectively block them (which is difficult) rather than block them all (which would be easy).