Hundreds gather at Bangkok's Democracy Monument to demand election

rooster59

On 2/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Who knows what the students are beginning to think ....if any resistance develops it will be from their ranks initially I would have thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Thai_popular_uprising

ow sadly i never met a thai student capable of individual thinking (or thinking at all)

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, tropo said:

You did say you supported the coup. Now you say "let democracy come back". LOL. As long as you support military takeovers for any reason you've killed democracy and any chance it will return (if it was ever here, to begin with). The only way for Thailand to become a democratic nation is to somehow subdue the power of military commanders. They have been in charge since Thailand became a constitutional monarchy (75 years). They were the architects of the constitutional monarchy. How would you take their power away? How could you?

I know everyone wants new elections, but what's the point really? Any elected government serves at the pleasure of the military commander. It's a merry-go-round in a circus. There's got to be another name for this type of government, but let's not call it democracy.

IMHO it doesn't really matter to the Thai people what foreigners or posters on TVF think or say as we have no voice, vote or say about what the government is doing.

We can rant all day and night and the effect will be similar to that of a single flea on an elephant.

Nothing at all.

The only possible effect we may have, will be on our Thai families and friends and probably not that much luck there either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Good idea. I will log onto Infowars and start researching this today.

Any other sites I should check out? Maybe use search terms "money trail" and "sheeple"?

Here are the 10 best ones. Who knew (among a wealth of astounding information) that reptilian bloodlines rule the world!

God's honest truth!

10"S of thousands and no room in jail and not enough police . so then they will bring in the milatary. and the win again .DEMOCRACY  MUST RULE .    Junta must wake up  instead of hurting Thai people , go and get the    2 chinawhats .  

Greetings.

I'm visiting again in the coming days for my 5th, 6th, visit....can't really keep track at this point. I'm thinking of visiting/staying somewhat near Khao San Road over the next week and wondering what it may be like in the area (Democracy Monument etc.) given the protests and police presence? Any thoughts on it are welcome.

Additionally, I'm curious what has been going on with all of the protests and the new King? Is he more or less following the path of his father or is he different politically, sympathetic to anyone or any issues in particular?

Just looking for a basic update - respectfully submitted of course!

Cheers.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Tropo, democracy or not.. it still stays the same.. the ones in power.. either the generals or the politicians rape the treasury. What is the point ? I have yet to see democratic governments (and junta) go after their own for corruption. The generals don't force the politicians to steal.. nothing stops them from being honest. But they never are (just like the army). 

This is all beside the point. On one hand, you claim to support the military takeover, then suggest it's time for a democratic government to return after they stamped out some corruption. They are just as corrupt (or more) as the government they overthrew.

The point you didn't grasp is that democracy will never return while military commanders are in charge, and they always have been, since 1932. If they don't like a government - in roll the tanks.

Let's not use the word "democracy" in relation to Thai governments and politics. It's some other form of government that deserves a new term. "Circus" might well describe it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:
16 hours ago, tropo said:

You did say you supported the coup. Now you say "let democracy come back". LOL. As long as you support military takeovers for any reason you've killed democracy and any chance it will return (if it was ever here, to begin with). The only way for Thailand to become a democratic nation is to somehow subdue the power of military commanders. They have been in charge since Thailand became a constitutional monarchy (75 years). They were the architects of the constitutional monarchy. How would you take their power away? How could you?

I know everyone wants new elections, but what's the point really? Any elected government serves at the pleasure of the military commander. It's a merry-go-round in a circus. There's got to be another name for this type of government, but let's not call it democracy.

IMHO it doesn't really matter to the Thai people what foreigners or posters on TVF think or say as we have no voice, vote or say about what the government is doing.

We can rant all day and night and the effect will be similar to that of a single flea on an elephant.

Nothing at all.

The only possible effect we may have, will be on our Thai families and friends and probably not that much luck there either.

Well done for stating the obvious. :clap2:

It was an unnecessary rant though as most members realize this is a forum for discussion, not a political movement. It also had nothing to do with my submission.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

The junta answers to the urban middle classes, clearly the order we have now is better than the anarchy we had under the demagogues. All the signs are that the middle class is withdrawing it's support and want some return to a semblance of democracy. The elephant in the room is the vastly unrepresented working classes, who can only express their frustrations by supporting a demagogue. Until we have a genuine grass roots movement that gives the working classes a voice, akin to the British Labour movement, I don't really see a solution.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, cornishcarlos said:

I have a feeling it's gonna take more than "100s"...

"100s" they can accommodate in jail, "1000s" might be  tougher :)

Gotta start somewhere. This may get the schools started and then things start to snowball. But your right. Unless society as a whole is fed up with being told they are not smart enough to pick their own leaders and make their own decisions 100's will fill the jails but not instigate change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chama said:

Gotta start somewhere. This may get the schools started and then things start to snowball. But your right. Unless society as a whole is fed up with being told they are not smart enough to pick their own leaders and make their own decisions 100's will fill the jails but not instigate change. 

That, and the threat of a very powerful force that will crush any attempt to instigate change before it gains any traction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tropo said:

This is all beside the point. On one hand, you claim to support the military takeover, then suggest it's time for a democratic government to return after they stamped out some corruption. They are just as corrupt (or more) as the government they overthrew.

The point you didn't grasp is that democracy will never return while military commanders are in charge, and they always have been, since 1932. If they don't like a government - in roll the tanks.

Let's not use the word "democracy" in relation to Thai governments and politics. It's some other form of government that deserves a new term. "Circus" might well describe it.

The point is i supported (past tense) the junta, now I don't support anyone anymore. There are just no good choices and your term Circus is apt because that is what it is.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tideout said:

Greetings.

I'm visiting again in the coming days for my 5th, 6th, visit....can't really keep track at this point. I'm thinking of visiting/staying somewhat near Khao San Road over the next week and wondering what it may be like in the area (Democracy Monument etc.) given the protests and police presence? Any thoughts on it are welcome.

Additionally, I'm curious what has been going on with all of the protests and the new King? Is he more or less following the path of his father or is he different politically, sympathetic to anyone or any issues in particular?

Cheers.

errr cannot I'm afraid to say (and in this case the polite afraid is really meant). 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

:sorry:

They couldn't pull off a Thammasat Massacre though these days even if they thought they needn't to to quell popular dissent. The iron military fist has worked well in the past at maintaining the status quo.  International pressure would be bought to bear in a big way. That said they would probably turn more and more to China who don't give a flying fig about democracy and human rights.

20 hours ago, tideout said:

Greetings.

Cheers.

Most of Thailand will be fine, but you might want to avoid central Bangkok.  Khao San Road has been something of a joke for years now anyway.  Avoid anything that looks like a demonstration, don't express any opinions about the monarchy, don't say anything negative about Buddhism, and remember that that Thai people who don't know you will smile and tell you whatever they think you want to hear.