Hundreds gather at Bangkok's Democracy Monument to demand election

rooster59

If 60 million thais can't be wrong, then let them have an election and clearly state what they want.

Lovely thoughts....votes are bought....as before...plus there is a very large population which does not understand their "Rights"!

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar/Misunderstanding!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to those who responded to my question above. I had a good visit to Bangkok and while I didn't hit the tourist area the most dangerous thing to my health was eating to much Chinese food in Chinatown! Take care everyone!

Now you want elections eh?  What happened back in 2006 when the legally elected, albeit disliked by many PM was overthrown while in his second term?  I actually thought Thailand was moving forward up until that time, and that the people might actually be governing the people

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Now you want elections eh?  What happened back in 2006 when the legally elected, albeit disliked by many PM was overthrown while in his second term?  I actually thought Thailand was moving forward up until that time, and that the people might actually be governing the people

Actually he wasn't the legally elected PM since he had gone to the King and formally resigned swearing never to be involved in Thai politics ever again. A few weeks later he came back and assumed the position of PM of the caretaker government, but was never confirmed in that position legally by the King.

The ouster

The Thaksin government faced allegations of corruption, authoritarianism, treason, conflicts of interest, acting non-diplomatically, and muzzling of the press.[46] Thaksin was accused of tax evasion, lèse majesté (insulting King Bhumibol), and selling assets of Thai companies to international investors.[47][48] Independent bodies, including Amnesty International, criticised Thaksin's human rights record. Thaksin was also charged for concealing his wealth during his premiership.[49]

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually he wasn't the legally elected PM since he had gone to the King and formally resigned swearing never to be involved in Thai politics ever again. A few weeks later he came back and assumed the position of PM of the caretaker government, but was never confirmed in that position legally by the King.

The ouster

The Thaksin government faced allegations of corruption, authoritarianism, treason, conflicts of interest, acting non-diplomatically, and muzzling of the press.[46] Thaksin was accused of tax evasion, lèse majesté (insulting King Bhumibol), and selling assets of Thai companies to international investors.[47][48] Independent bodies, including Amnesty International, criticised Thaksin's human rights record. Thaksin was also charged for concealing his wealth during his premiership.[49]

He was accused of a lot of things.  Welcome to proper civil rules and laws.  If accused, bring charges, bring impeachment etc

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

The ouster

If only we had lese-Thaksin we would have a chance of redressing the balance. 

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

He was accused of a lot of things.  Welcome to proper civil rules and laws.  If accused, bring charges, bring impeachment etc

Welcome to the HiSo of Thailand.

Go to court and be found guilty under a government run by your brother in law, Somchai Wongsawat, apply to go to the Beijing Olympics and PROMISE that you will return.

Skip your bail and run away from the other 13 or 14 charges, PROMISE that you have left Thai politics and will never interfere with the country.

Then bitch when a government changes the law retroactively to try you with all those outstanding charges.

quote "He was accused of a lot of things.  Welcome to proper civil rules and laws.  If accused, bring charges, bring impeachment etc."

Pity he didn't stay and face the charges which perhaps he might have under the proper civil rules and laws that he and his party fauled to bring in during the time that the TRT, PPP and PTP were in power.

Nothing like a bit of nepotism in government is there. Win an election and make your brother in law the PM.

Lose an election and cause chaos.

Win an election and make your politically incompetent sister the PM.

When her government was dissolved then jist cause chaos in the country again.

Welcome to proper civil rules and laws, Thailand style.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Welcome to the HiSo of Thailand.

Go to court and be found guilty under a government run by your brother in law, Somchai Wongsawat, apply to go to the Beijing Olympics and PROMISE that you will return.

Skip your bail and run away from the other 13 or 14 charges, PROMISE that you have left Thai politics and will never interfere with the country.

Then bitch when a government changes the law retroactively to try you with all those outstanding charges.

quote "He was accused of a lot of things.  Welcome to proper civil rules and laws.  If accused, bring charges, bring impeachment etc."

Pity he didn't stay and face the charges which perhaps he might have under the proper civil rules and laws that he and his party fauled to bring in during the time that the TRT, PPP and PTP were in power.

Nothing like a bit of nepotism in government is there. Win an election and make your brother in law the PM.

Lose an election and cause chaos.

Win an election and make your politically incompetent sister the PM.

When her government was dissolved then jist cause chaos in the country again.

Welcome to proper civil rules and laws, Thailand style.

Right, you don't like Thaksin so Thailand shouldn't have democracy.  Got it.

Not everyone agrees.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Only an idiot believes things without convincing evidence.

I see you like the last word. Good for you, you're living with your head in the sand.  Every Thai Pm since Chuan has bought millions of votes,  if you can't see this, that's your ignorance, or maybe you haven't lived her for a long time.

23 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I see you like the last word. Good for you, you're living with your head in the sand.  Every Thai Pm since Chuan has bought millions of votes,  if you can't see this, that's your ignorance, or maybe you haven't lived her for a long time.

I've been here twelve years, I've heard many stories of vote buying, I'm sure it happens at the village level for village posts, but I've never seen any evidence of vote buying in a national election on a scale to influence the election.  I'll go with the conclusions of ANFREL in the 2011 elections.

It's worth noting that the junta would only allow international monitors during the sham referendum on the constitution at the last minute and with too many restrictions to do their job.  I assume the junta will do the same if and when it allows another election. 

38 minutes ago, heybruce said:

, but I've never seen any evidence of vote buying in a national election on a scale to influence the election.

Probably because you are a foreigner.

Do you ever watch the local political shows on Thai TV?

Edited by Neeranam

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Probably because you are a foreigner.

Read the post you reply to.  International election monitors also failed to see that kind of vote buying. 

You can claim anything without evidence.  I could just as easily claim the Democrats lost in spite of their large scale vote buying, but without evidence I don't post nonsense like that.  I also don't believe nonsense posted without evidence.