Power bars that aren't Cr-p.

JohnMc45

Trying to find some good power bars for the office. Office outlets are the type that will take two or three pin US or EU plugs. Would like them to take two or three pin US or EU plugs. Be grounded. Surge protection would be nice. Don't want the type that will take every plug type under the sun including fingertips. Any recommendations on brand or place to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Office outlets are the type that will take two or three pin US or EU plugs. Would like them to take two or three pin US or EU plugs. Be grounded."

Are you saying that your current outlets are not grounded?  If so, that would be the issue and not depend on a new type of bar.

"Office outlets are the type that will take two or three pin US or EU plugs. Would like them to take two or three pin US or EU plugs. Be grounded."

Are you saying that your current outlets are not grounded?  If so, that would be the issue and not depend on a new type of bar.

Sorry I meant the power bars should be grounded. So many of the ones I see here are ungrounded plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can see the one or two better models of Belkin surge protectors in Thailand that have a decent Joule rating.  SurgeGuard brand offers some better surge protectors in Thailand. Leonics also markets a decent surge protector. Both Surgeguard and Leonics indicate grounded or not grounded supply. 

14 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

A 2 prong (ungrounded) wall outlet may be a problem, but it's one you pretty much have to live with if that's what's in the office you're hired into. 

As bad as that is, I'd prefer that to a poorly wired 3 prong outlet that fools you into thinking it's grounded.

Regardless of what outlet he has, a good quality power bar is safer than a dodgy one- which describes most of what's available at the normal retail stores.  Even if the 3rd pin doesn't really connect to anything, I'd rather not have to chop it off to plug into something.  Then it's unsafe wherever I go after that.  Sadly, I have amassed a collection of cords with chopped off ground pins in 18 years of bopping around Asia.  It's pretty much inevitable.

And the dodgy power bars can have such thin copper conductors that the wires get hot, and any tug at all can part the wires.  Even plugged into a proper outlet, they're a hazard.

Edit:  In way of offering my experience, I'd check Lazada.com for some of the brands that kamalabob2 has put forward.  I've found that to be more time effective than scrounging the shops- unless you live right under Fortune Town or in Chinatown...

Edited by impulse