Can Twitter posts be monitored by Thai ISPs?

sicky

Somewhat surprised at the comments from other forum members, which suggests that authorities monitor visitors' social media accounts.  Can Twitter comments be monitored, notwithstanding that the account id. might identify the user anyway?

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose the only concern then, is that it's conceivable the regime in power could force Twitter to disclose participants' originating IP addresses, which would then of course reveal their identity.  I recall there was a case where Thai authorities pressured an ISP in USA for their customer's identity and the ISP complied, although it raised the matter that the ISP had, in doing so, infringed the customer's confidentiality.  This didn't help the Thai citizen when he happened to return to Thailand.

I just think it's something that might be a concern, judging from the manner and severity in which we see Thais receiving punishment just for "agreeing" with some content online, such as commenting even that they don't agree with the regime's rules.  We also see this week the regime's strong reaction to the fact that some Thais have re-posted the pictures of former PMs while travelling in China.  It offers some indication that even a minor action - nothing more than a discussion in fact - can result in strong censure and the claim that re-posting a picture makes the poster anti-regime, something which in the west we would refute and point out that everyone is entitled to their own private views, whatever they might be.

15 hours ago, sicky said:

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose the only concern then, is that it's conceivable the regime in power could force Twitter to disclose participants' originating IP addresses, which would then of course reveal their identity.  I recall there was a case where Thai authorities pressured an ISP in USA for their customer's identity and the ISP complied, although it raised the matter that the ISP had, in doing so, infringed the customer's confidentiality.  This didn't help the Thai citizen when he happened to return to Thailand.

I just think it's something that might be a concern, judging from the manner and severity in which we see Thais receiving punishment just for "agreeing" with some content online, such as commenting even that they don't agree with the regime's rules.  We also see this week the regime's strong reaction to the fact that some Thais have re-posted the pictures of former PMs while travelling in China.  It offers some indication that even a minor action - nothing more than a discussion in fact - can result in strong censure and the claim that re-posting a picture makes the poster anti-regime, something which in the west we would refute and point out that everyone is entitled to their own private views, whatever they might be.

I don't like, comment or anything else that might get me in trouble with thai authorities, cause last thing i want is fish and rice for breakfast!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt that Thai authorities need smart methods like a court order for Twitter to reveal IP address.

And I doubt that Twitter will follow such order?

But most people do not care about their privacy and reveal full name and location.

They post selfies.

Snitchers are everywhere.

So that's it.

Facebook even wants to force people "not use wrong information on personal data".

Whoever follows this brazenness and posts more than pictures of breakfast has to to blame oneself.

A German court just ruled that FB's terms are illegal in Germany.

Of course FB has appealed. Let's see.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Facebook even wants to force people "not use wrong information on personal data". Whoever follows this brazenness and posts more than pictures of breakfast has to to blame oneself.

A German court just ruled that FB's terms are illegal in Germany. Of course FB has appealed. Let's see.

Thanks, interesting piece of news there. And interesting particularly that the court concluded that users didn't need to reveal their names.

14 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

I don't like, comment or anything else that might get me in trouble with thai authorities, cause last thing i want is fish and rice for breakfast!

Yes, well you've got the right approach indeed, but sometimes what we might regard as the most innocuous opinon in a conversation can inflame 'thinkers' in this type of monoculture that anything they think sounds even slightly against the status quo, represents disapproval of everything they hold dear.