How much of a hassle? Thai Retirement Visa

On 2/14/2018 at 6:07 AM, jacko45k said:

Verifying the income is the 'aggravation' from my perspective. It depends on your nationality and where you live in Thailand. Requiring a trip to Bangkok, dealing with my Embassy and having to pay for the verification....., there is also a requirement (I believe) to then traipse off to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it verified.

Is this bit at the end true? I thought the affidavit of income letter itself was sufficient. 

34 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Is this bit at the end true? I thought the affidavit of income letter itself was sufficient. 

There are a few offices within the central region (near Bangkok)  that want the consular officers signature on the income document verified by the Department of Consular Affairs.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

There are a few offices within the central region (near Bangkok)  that want the consular officers signature on the income document verified by the Department of Consular Affairs.

Oh - presumably not Chaengwattana though? 

8 minutes ago, chipkimberimd said:

So an American only needs a notarized letter from the US Embassy? Don't the Thai authorities want documents to back that proof of income letter up?

It is not just a letter. It is a affidavit that is signed in front of a consular officer and is sworn as being true and correct.

Very few immigration offices want back up proof for any income document done at a embassy or consulate.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not just a letter. It is a affidavit that is signed in front of a consular officer and is sworn as being true and correct.

Very few immigration offices want back up proof for any income document done at a embassy or consulate.

Thanks ubonjoe,

I'll take that to mean you had better be telling the truth, as just because very few want back up proof, it does not mean they will never ask for it at some point in time.

Edited by chipkimberimd

What would be the easiest and practical for retiring in Thailand for retirement visa before arriving in Thailand?

Getting retirement visa in USA is much more work . Would it be easier to get Tourist or Non-O Visa and extend in Thailand?

Trying to plan my retirement and my move next year. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, gt162 said:

What would be the easiest and practical for retiring in Thailand for retirement visa before arriving in Thailand?

Getting retirement visa in USA is much more work . Would it be easier to get Tourist or Non-O Visa and extend in Thailand?

Trying to plan my retirement and my move next year. Thanks.

Applying for a OA long stay visa (aka retirement) requires a bit more paperwork but does have its advantages. You can get almost 2 years of total stay from it and if using the money in the bank option it can be in a US bank. For some people the problem for getting one is the medical certificate which can be costly if you don't have a doctor you see regularly. The police clearance should be easy to get and can be applied for online in many states.

Getting a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary Thai consulates in the states would be better than a tourist visa since you can apply for the extension of stay without having do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry if you have a tourist visa entry needed to apply for it.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 2:50 AM, Lite Beer said:

That's OK if you are American. 

You don't have to provide proof of income. 

I am American and could easily provide proof of income.  A notarized letter from my bank/brokerage, a copy of my passive income dividends and interest, etc.  If they ever needed something really exotic, well, I don't know.  I guess theoretically it could be impossible to provide enough proof.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Applying for a OA long stay visa (aka retirement) requires a bit more paperwork but does have its advantages. You can get almost 2 years of total stay from it and if using the money in the bank option it can be in a US bank. For some people the problem for getting one is the medical certificate which can be costly if you don't have a doctor you see regularly. The police clearance should be easy to get and can be applied for online in many states.

Getting a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary Thai consulates in the states would be better than a tourist visa since you can apply for the extension of stay without having do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry if you have a tourist visa entry needed to apply for it.

Agreed.  I got the letter from my local county/city police in Florida and it was easy and free.  I didn't quite finish the process and get the medical, but I have a regular doctor so I can't imagine that would be an issue.  At the moment I kind of was planning on just doing things in Thailand once I get there, but as UbonJoe says above, getting the OA Long Stay while in the USA avoids the Visa change process later.  And the almost two year total usage is a nice feature, especially on the chance things change and one doesn't stay too long term.  It is a better bang for the buck.  I am not too far from the honorary consulate near Miami, Fl, so later this year when I flip the retirement coin, I most likely will go that way

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I am not too far from the honorary consulate near Miami, Fl, so later this year when I flip the retirement coin, I most likely will go that way

You cannot apply for the OA visa at a honorary consulate. It has to be applied for at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates.

Check with the Miami honorary before trying for the single entry non-o visa there. One person reported they said no.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for the OA visa at a honorary consulate. It has to be applied for at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates.

Check with the Miami honorary before trying for the single entry non-o visa there. One person reported they said no.

ah.  will do.  Actually that rings a bell.  Somebody was saying few if any of the little places will or are allowed to do it.  Thanks

Many many thanks to all the folks who helped me along the route to acquiring the O-A visa, and your incredible patience as I'm sure you get the same questions over and over.   Ubonjoe , Tanoshi and lopburi3 were all EXTREMELY helpful and patient.

I rec'd the visa today, and just wanted to relay what passed with the Chicago Consulate General.    I submitted a total of 12 pages.   The application and additional information sheets.....did not notarize these.   A cover letter that stated all attachments were true and correct along with a note that I was retired with no intention to work and I had the notary stamp that letter.   Medical cert, notarized.   Letters from two banks indicating my balances, along with the most recent statements......total of 5 pages, all notarized.   One page clean criminal record from the Illinois State Police.   And a document from my former employer showing the start date and retirement dates of my employment.  

I sent this Priority Mail, and included a stamped Priority Mail envelope back to me.   They got it on a Tuesday at 11am, and it was in the mail back to me on Thursday night, I got it Saturday.  Essentially had all docs notarized with the exception of the application and additional info sheet.

One note on the notary......my bank does it for free, but the girl handling that was not the sharpest tool and took forever before telling me she could not stamp them so I had another girl at the bank who agreed to stamp some of the documents, but not all.   Went to a local service, and for 3 bux each, they stamped anything that I wanted.   WELL worth it.

Many thanks to all who provided comments and information here, and for the explanations of how to keep the visa valid for the second year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim P said:

Would applying for a notarised confirmation from the British Embassy alert them to the fact that you are living in Thailand? Assuming you haven't told them and still retain a UK address.

If asking for a income letter I assume they will know you are living here. Why else  would you want one.?

Worried about your state  pension increases? :smile:

Edited by pontious
ammend

12 hours ago, pontious said:

If asking for a income letter I assume they will know you are living here. Why else  would you want one.?

Worried about your state  pension increases? :smile:

That's a very naïve attitude.

There are lots of expats who regularly, spend several months each year in Thailand.

Using an income letter to obtain an extension is a far easier process for some than trying to obtain long term Visas from their home Country.

It is by no means a statement 'I am living in Thailand'.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 11:52 PM, madisongy said:

Many many thanks to all the folks who helped me along the route to acquiring the O-A visa, and your incredible patience as I'm sure you get the same questions over and over.   Ubonjoe , Tanoshi and lopburi3 were all EXTREMELY helpful and patient.

I rec'd the visa today, and just wanted to relay what passed with the Chicago Consulate General.    I submitted a total of 12 pages.   The application and additional information sheets.....did not notarize these.   A cover letter that stated all attachments were true and correct along with a note that I was retired with no intention to work and I had the notary stamp that letter.   Medical cert, notarized.   Letters from two banks indicating my balances, along with the most recent statements......total of 5 pages, all notarized.   One page clean criminal record from the Illinois State Police.   And a document from my former employer showing the start date and retirement dates of my employment.  

I sent this Priority Mail, and included a stamped Priority Mail envelope back to me.   They got it on a Tuesday at 11am, and it was in the mail back to me on Thursday night, I got it Saturday.  Essentially had all docs notarized with the exception of the application and additional info sheet.

One note on the notary......my bank does it for free, but the girl handling that was not the sharpest tool and took forever before telling me she could not stamp them so I had another girl at the bank who agreed to stamp some of the documents, but not all.   Went to a local service, and for 3 bux each, they stamped anything that I wanted.   WELL worth it.

Many thanks to all who provided comments and information here, and for the explanations of how to keep the visa valid for the second year.  

What is that bit about a letter from the previous employer?  I am sure my big aerospace defense company will not do anything to help.  I guess I might get something from payroll, or possibly some sort of employment verification, or lack of employment such as a person or company might get if they were checking an employment reference.  But I know it will be nothing personal directed or sent directly to me.  I could be wrong.  I will look into it should I see the need arise from an embassy.  But once one leaves this company they don't spend a lot of time or give you much access to anything