Bangkok Airways to start flying Chiang Mai to Hanoi direct

Ricardo

Just in time for a quick escape from the worst of the smog perhaps. Isn't an airline also flying to an airport in the center of Vietnam? I assume less smog than CM with it being coastal.  I was thinking of the other one to check out Hoi Ann (already visited) or Da Nang as a place to live. 

^^^^^ (of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true

What he means is to just throw a statement out as you did in your previous post leaves people wondering ... Why ?

DUH - used to comment on an action perceived as foolish or stupid, or a statement perceived as obvious.

I have stayed in Hanoi a couple of times and found it very interesting. Traveled once by train and once by bus from Saigon, the train is a "real" experience. Enjoyed visiting the "Hanoi Hilton" and a further train journey to Haiphong.

Beer is good, hotels cheap.

I imagine the Bangkok Airways flights will be expensive though.

I contacted Travel Shoppe to check whether they still organize Vietnam Visas from Chiang Mai. Their reply.

For Vietnam Visa applications.

Price is 3,500 baht/person  ,We have to send your passport to Vietnam embassy and visa process take 5 working days.

Document

1.Passport Requirements: Original, signed passport valid for 6 months beyond stay in Vietnam and with at least one blank passport page available for the Vietnam visa. Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for Vietnamese visa stamps.

2. Vietnam Visa Application Form: You can come to fill in a form at my office.

3. Photo Requirements: Two recent, identical, 2 x 2 passport type photographs, in color, front view and with a plain/light background.

Best regards,

Somsak(SAK)

TRAVEL SHOPPE LTD,PART.

LINE ID : travelshoppe

Tel : 053 232352, 874091 , 874280

Fax : 053 232300

office hour 08.30-17.30 MON-SAT , close every  SUNDAY

Yeah what's wrong about Hanoi.
It's great.
But seeing the prices of Bangkok Airways for a direct flight it's most likely cheaper to fly to DMK first and transfer there.
Air Asia once had promotion to Da Nang.
One way 790 THB for my ticket.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:41 AM, chingmai331 said:

No walk-in visa available for USA folks visiting VN.  But Hanoi interesting city, very uncontrolled motorbike traffic, many touts on the streets,  quite decent food and easy drinking beer on the street corner.

Oh really?  No walk in visa....wonder what I got a few months ago when I landed in Hanoi?  Easy peasy.....at least for me....lol...??

1 hour ago, CLW said:

But seeing the prices of Bangkok Airways for a direct flight it's most likely cheaper to fly to DMK first and transfer there.

For the dates I chose above, 28 March returning a week later 7,200baht on Air Asia with 5 hour layover each way and that doesn't include any of the add ons.

For the dates I chose above, 28 March returning a week later 7,200baht on Air Asia with 5 hour layover each way and that doesn't include any of the add ons.
You could try Google flights to see cheap dates and maybe have to combine some airlines.
Watch out for promotions of budget airlines announced by newsletter or social media.
I made some amazing bargains already if you are flexible in your travel dates.

We just did Halong Bay over Xmas... I wish we had a direct flight (Had to connect thru Don Mueang and immigration was a pain upon returning - Luckily I paid for express lane service and walked right past the thousand or so Chinese "queued" up... ;-))... 

Also there are websites where you can arrange prepay for visas ahead of time - Opt for the deluxe where a guy meets you just before the visa desk and handles the immigration queue & everything while you sit and wait (10 minutes)

I just booked return flights tickets with Bangkok Airways to Hanoi for a total cost of 7,285 baht. Depart Chiang Mai at 9:55am (perfect) and depart Hanoi at 12:45pm (perfect).

I've been there before, but I liked it and want to visit again

39 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

For anyone interested in doing a visa on arrival in Vietnam, here is a very good write-up on TripAdvisor that gives a very detailed description of the process. The description matches my actual, on-the-ground experience when I went.

Hope it is helpful.

David

Good info.

I read this:

" Please note that between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018, holders of British, German, French, Spanish, Belarus and Italian passports will not require a visa for stays of up to 15 days."

Can anyone confirm? I'm going in May so if this is true, I don't need a visa.

Good info.

I read this:

" Please note that between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018, holders of British, German, French, Spanish, Belarus and Italian passports will not require a visa for stays of up to 15 days."

Can anyone confirm? I'm going in May so if this is true, I don't need a visa.
Yes correct. You get two small stamps, that's all. Pretty straightforward

3 hours ago, Loaded said:

I just booked return flights tickets with Bangkok Airways to Hanoi for a total cost of 7,285 baht. Depart Chiang Mai at 9:55am (perfect) and depart Hanoi at 12:45pm (perfect).

7300 baht ain't cheap. If you travel to Malaysia, it would only cost 4000 baht on the cheapest day.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

7300 baht ain't cheap. If you travel to Malaysia, it would only cost 4000 baht on the cheapest day.

Maybe but Malaysia is not Hanoi. With the exception of George Town, Hanoi has more of interest than Malaysia generally.

David

On 2/13/2018 at 12:22 AM, mat999 said:

Just in time for a quick escape from the worst of the smog perhaps. Isn't an airline also flying to an airport in the center of Vietnam? I assume less smog than CM with it being coastal.  I was thinking of the other one to check out Hoi Ann (already visited) or Da Nang as a place to live. 

Are you sure that Hanoi isn't worse than Chiang Mai in March?

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2018 at 4:22 PM, Loaded said:

Do tell us your experience when you come back. The first flight starts in a few days time.

On 16/02/2018 at 7:53 PM, Genericnic said:

Maybe but Malaysia is not Hanoi. With the exception of George Town, Hanoi has more of interest than Malaysia generally.

David

care to elaborate how Hanoi has more of interest than Malaysia generally? 

Archived