Is there a word for one time enjoyable experiences that you don't want to ever repeat?

Jingthing

It's clear to me that a lot of people are still not getting the concept. I thought my last post with food examples would have done that job, but apparently not.

Thinking about this some more, I'll give some personal examples that might illustrate the concept even further. 

Seeking pleasure is part of human nature so for something that is very pleasurable, most people would  usually at least WISH to repeat the experience, if possible. 

I suppose for the type of feeling I'm talking about, there is at least some or even lots of pleasure BUT there is something about the experience (or multiple things) that override the normal desire to repeat.

So here are a few personal examples --

A few years back I tried an Italian dessert I'd never tried before. It's kind of a candied nutty chocolate loaf type thing. I forget the Italian name. Eating it was pure pleasure. But I decided then, I never want it again. Why? Too much sugar, too many calories. It's not that I have rejected all sweet desserts for life (most everyone at least occasionally "needs" some ice cream) but this one, that was it.

Songkran in Chiang Mai on a water truck. It was the ultimate Songkran experience. I gave it as good as I got. It was for me a light version of running with the bulls. I had a blast. I'll never forget it. I also got a small wound and an infection that made me ill for weeks. But even at the end of the event, I figured, that was it. No more Songkran water playing for me in CM or anywhere!

This one's a bit more strange. Went to a German restaurant new to me. Ordered a boring sounding meat and noodles dish. It was actually probably the first time I've ordered that specific dish anywhere, and definitely at that restaurant. The culinary level was poor. It was too salty. It didn't taste authentic. But I got real pleasure eating it. Eating fat, salt, meat, and starch is pleasurable to most people and I'm the same. So I can't say I hated the experience at all. But I realized then no interest in ever ordering that specific dish, there or anywhere.

A perhaps more common food experience applies to adventurous eaters that are always trying new foods, dishes, and restaurants. Sometimes you hate the new thing, sometimes you love it, sometimes you get pleasure out of trying the new thing but realize it's really not to your taste enough to want to ever eat it again and you know that right away.

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. Way too specific. 

Did you not ask if there is one word to describe an enjoyable experience you did not want to repeat?

Maybe I am missing something in the English language but to me you asked an specific question requiring a single word to specify it!

2 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

Did you not ask if there is one word to describe an enjoyable experience you did not want to repeat?

Maybe I am missing something in the English language but to me you asked an specific question requiring a single word to specify it!

Your word doesn't fit the concept at all.

It's just your personal specific example.

I'm looking for a word or phrase that describes the feeling for ALL specific examples.

I don't think it exists though. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm looking for a word or phrase that describes the feeling for ALL specific examples.

That would because it doesn't exist. I know what you mean though, but who doesn't want to do something they enjoyed again, unless it was sex that was so good it almost killed one.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To apply in this thread you would never have had another child, so would be both first and last, no "or".

My comment concerned the first or the last of several so in that instance the use of “ and or “ is correct

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's clear to me that a lot of people are still not getting the concept. I thought my last post with food examples would have done that job, but apparently not.

Thinking about this some more, I'll give some personal examples that might illustrate the concept even further. 

Seeking pleasure is part of human nature so for something that is very pleasurable, most people would  usually at least WISH to repeat the experience, if possible. 

I suppose for the type of feeling I'm talking about, there is at least some or even lots of pleasure BUT there is something about the experience (or multiple things) that override the normal desire to repeat.

So here are a few personal examples --

A few years back I tried an Italian dessert I'd never tried before. It's kind of a candied nutty chocolate loaf type thing. I forget the Italian name. Eating it was pure pleasure. But I decided then, I never want it again. Why? Too much sugar, too many calories. It's not that I have rejected all sweet desserts for life (most everyone at least occasionally "needs" some ice cream) but this one, that was it.

Songkran in Chiang Mai on a water truck. It was the ultimate Songkran experience. I gave it as good as I got. It was for me a light version of running with the bulls. I had a blast. I'll never forget it. I also got a small wound and an infection that made me ill for weeks. But even at the end of the event, I figured, that was it. No more Songkran water playing for me in CM or anywhere!

This one's a bit more strange. Went to a German restaurant new to me. Ordered a boring sounding meat and noodles dish. It was actually probably the first time I've ordered that specific dish anywhere, and definitely at that restaurant. The culinary level was poor. It was too salty. It didn't taste authentic. But I got real pleasure eating it. Eating fat, salt, meat, and starch is pleasurable to most people and I'm the same. So I can't say I hated the experience at all. But I realized then no interest in ever ordering that specific dish, there or anywhere.

A perhaps more common food experience applies to adventurous eaters that are always trying new foods, dishes, and restaurants. Sometimes you hate the new thing, sometimes you love it, sometimes you get pleasure out of trying the new thing but realize it's really not to your taste enough to want to ever eat it again and you know that right away.

I can see that your passion is food, but I doubt many of us get orgasmic about it, and I certainly don't think food is a good example, sex on the other hand..................

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In so far as I can see you did not really specify or include food as the main criteria for your one line question, However I do not wish to pursue the matter further as it appears to be going round in circles.

So good luck with it.

• Like 1

In so far as I can see you did not really specify or include food as the main criteria for your one line question, However I do not wish to pursue the matter further as it appears to be going round in circles.
So good luck with it.
You still fail to grasp the concept. It most certainly is not only about food though.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Again the sought for word or phrase is a general indicator of the FEELING well described previously. People are welcome to post examples of specific experiences that gave them that feeling but that is a tangent to the point of the thread.

For example I posted my Songkran example that was one of many experiences where I had the feeling but the word Songkran would not fit as a general indicator of the feeling.

Here is a great phrase that would be the type of thing sought but about a different feeling than what this topic is about.

Déjà vu

Many people in the world have had that feeling. I certainly have. That widely used phrase describes it perfectly.

I'm looking for a word or phrase that does the same thing for the feeling I described.

While I reckon not all humans have had that feeling I feel confident many have.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Jingthinger" 

verb. A one-off, unique experience that was pleasurable but will never be exercised again through personal choice.

I have made enquiries for submittal to the Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam Webster & Funk & Wagnall for possible inclusion in their 2018/2019 editions.

JT, I believe that the question you posed requires context to answer thus a singular word cannot provide.

Possibly Japanese has a word that fits the bill.

The English language is rich in its depth of vocabulary so why would you try and settle for one word when a score would be explicit.

If all situations could be reduced to singular words, lawyers would starve as billing for post-it note communication couldn't attract the billing hours.

The Harry Potter Series would be leaflets.

50 Shades of Grey trilogy possibly 3 postcards.

I believe putting a hashtag in front of the context of your question without spacing and having it reflect on oneself would be one word, language evolution.

You did post in the Pub and I've had a couple.

Regards.

• Haha 1

I'm not adverse to Jingthinger if such a word or phrase doesn't exist for the feeling as it doesn't seem that it does. But it could maybe be better. Jingthinger sounds kind of Germanic, not that that's a bad thing.  BTW -- why did you call it  a verb? Isn't it a noun? 

I don't have a twitter account but if someone that does wants to try a Jingthinger hashtag with the intent of possibly creating a new word to describe the feeling that is the topic here, far be it from me to object. 

Surely this feeling that I have now described ad nauseum (now there is a cool phrase for you) is not all that rare in the human condition? 

Edited by Jingthing

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not adverse to Jingthinger if such a word or phrase doesn't exist for the feeling as it doesn't seem that it does. But it could maybe be better. Jingthinger sounds kind of Germanic, not that that's a bad thing.  BTW -- why did you call it  a verb? Isn't it a noun? 

I don't have a twitter account but if someone that does wants to try a Jingthinger hashtag with the intent of possibly creating a new word to describe the feeling that is the topic here, far be it from me to object. 

Surely this feeling that I have now described ad nauseum (now there is a cool phrase for you) is not all that rare in the human condition? 

Not being an English teacher with Phd blah, blah but being a blue collar worker, I apologize.

I felt a verb even employed in a past tense most appropriate than a noun.

Should I have failed in grammar expectations.maybe I not send my drafts to Microsoft and Google  for their search engine inclusion.

As an aside, "Jingthinger" to me sounds nothing Germanic rather perhaps an Oriiental playing billiards without a table.

Latin neither counts.

Kind Regards this time,

Edited by Paul Catton
Closure

Hmm.

Perhaps there isn't a word/phrase for this because it may not be common enough? 

I have no way of knowing.

For me, it's not uncommon.

As I mentioned before, deja vu, there is a phrase for that feeling.

So perhaps deja vu is a much more common feeling than this Jingthinger for want of a better word? 

I'm definitely feeling the Jingthinger much more often than deja vu

So now I'm wondering what percentage of people experience deja vu. As deja vu is a well known thing, it's easy to find clues about that. But not easy to find what percentage of people may be feeling Jingthinger.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-babble/201510/why-do-some-us-get-d-j-vu-more-often-others

"Déjà vu is estimated to occur(link is external) in 60-70% of us, most commonly in those between the ages of 15 and 25. Why? We have no idea. Interestingly, though, I had previously written about déjà vu years ago out of my own curiosity on the matter, having experienced it fairly frequently. I'm now 26, though, and can't remember the last time I had an episode."

Edited by Jingthing