Penang visa run

Urgently looking for latest info on travelling to Penang by train to obtain non-immigrant multi entry visa. Not married have only had tourist visa previously. 39 yr old British.

Any information appreciated .

Not married have only had tourist visa previously

On what basis do you expect them to issue a non immigrant visa?  Can say for use they don't issue them to tourists; but if you have valid paperwork for a job or such expect that they would.

Had heard a vague rumour that Penang Consul would issue Non-immigrant "O" visa without checking marriage documents, but was doubtful if this was true. Hence my enquiry. Guess I'll have to go for a Double Entry Tourist visa.

Anyway thanks for info so far.

in Penang you can go to Chulia street and leave

you passport to the visa agents and say you want

a 3 entries tourisrvisa cost ringit 126 and so you

have 9 month here in Thailand. I just done it 1 week

ago

If you are headed to Penang, you need to consider your time issues. If you go by train, it can easily turn into a 4-day affair. The trains, while quite pleasent, are slow and get delayed frequently. I got into Hat Yai about 8:30 in the morning from BKK and then transferred to a van. Not expensive, about 230 baht or so. But by the time we got to Gweorgetown, 4 hours later, it was way too late for the consulate.

If time is an issue, check into a Super VIP bus out at the Southern Bus terminal. They'll get you to Hat Yai  much quicker, I think 12 hrs, but just guessing, and should allow you to make a van that will make it into Georgetown in time to do the visa work. There are several visa agencies on the main drag there that do the paperwork and visa run for you from that point. They will promise you the sky, and ask for the money to prove it. But, if the Thai consulate doesn't come through, as in my case, they give you the extra money back. So disappointed though I was, they did keep their word. It was far simpler than trying to answer the consulate official face to face, unless you like that sort of thing.

You won't get your visa back until about 2:30 or so the next day and with getting back to Hat Yai, the train back which leavces about 6:30 would be in question as well.

On an upbeat note, there is a very decent duty free available as you come back across the border. Just be sure to tell your driver if you want to go there.

Hope the info helps

Malaysia time is one hour ahead of Thailand so it is not easy to get to Consulate before noon whatever you do, although believe a share taxi from Hat Yai may make it.  Think that most people just take it easy and train all the way to Butterworth and plan vacation stay in Georgetown for the visa period.

The super VIP (24 seat) is a very comfortable ride, and have taken on return to Bangkok several times.  But the only time took going South the roads were blocked by farmers and we had to wait hours at police roadblocks and travel inland dirt back roads trying to avoid flaming tires.  Got to Hat Yai about noon the next day without any food since the previous evening.