Frenchman killed in motorcycle crash on Samui

webfact

5 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Technically your right, but as we know TIT

I think a few things contributed to his death, but one can only state as they were not in the situation.

As mentioned the entering bike delayed his turn mid drift & to me I think the French guy was assuming that he may be clear by the time he got there

Even though the French guy was speeding I do think he may of had time to react by way of just swerving to the left

- it seems like some 20 mtrs or so that he should of had him in his sights

& just thinking of the last phrase, It was obvious the laying down of the bike that caused his fate (but we never guess we may end up hitting something )

Taken into consideration that it was a dry and sunny day with no visible debris on the street so for me it looks like the French reacted to late and hit the front brake to hard so the front Wheel locked (due to a conventional hydraulic disk brake and not ABS) and as a result he lost the Control....

Its a must to stay focused 100%, constantly minitoring the trafic and espect the unlikely to happen while driving in Thailand...

RIP

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I have seen the video, the Thai was five seconds into turning right towards Bophut, accident happened at mid road. 

THank you for your reply.

Would you consider sharing  the video with those of of us who do not have a FaceBook account?

We still exist, although in tiny numbers.

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

THank you for your reply.

Would you consider sharing  the video with those of of us who do not have a FaceBook account?

We still exist, although in tiny numbers.

https://vdokh.matichon.co.th/videos/public/iframe/89a50ef6e73b1475e69ad47ed74024c4/adaptive_hls/?post_id=753029&category=around-thailand

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

What if Superman had worked for the Germans?

Video? The deceased had all the opportunity in the world to to move to his left and ride behind the guy. He was distracted by something. It pains me to say this but either the bike was not ABS equipped or it malfunctioned. ABS not withstanding the diseased was not riding with 100% of his faculties engaged in the activity of riding and yes he may have thought the guy would not be there when he got there but made no attempt to move to the left. Distracted.

seems like front brake first which caused bike to fall

Thanks for the video, to be honest right or wrong this move by the Thai guy is done regularly. It does look like the Thai guy was only watching the left side vehicle approaching from his left side. What bothers me is the French guy seem to intentionally or panic?  because he had time to slow down or avoid the bike but instead looks like he put the bike down and on his side it is then his bike made contact with the Thai biker. Before the video I thought the Thai guy might have cut in front of him not giving him enough time to slow or avoid thus a head on crash the video doesn't seem to show that.

R.I.P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cat handler said:

Really? Had he not fallen off his bike he would have missed the other bike by a few metres. I would say very poor riding skills, the key to surviving is called defensive riding techniques.

Don't worry, it's the Pavlovian response from idiot farangs in Thailand to always blame the Thai.  Even if the evidence proves the contrary.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Don't worry, it's the Pavlovian response from idiot farangs in Thailand to always blame the Thai.  Even if the evidence proves the contrary.

Have you watched the video?  How is that Thai driver faultless, riding diagonally against traffic looking over his shoulder?   "Other road users should be alert to reckless morons like me" isn't much of a defense.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have to cross a busy road most days to get to a bus stop; 3 lanes one way, one lane the other, it is so dangerous as many motorcyclists refuse to use the correct side of the road or if they want to get to the correct side they ride diagonally across three lanes of busy traffic towards the oncoming traffic. they hardly ever wait until it it safe to carry out a manoeuvre, they just go for it.

6 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Have you watched the video?  How is that Thai driver faultless, riding diagonally against traffic looking over his shoulder?   "Other road users should be alert to reckless morons like me" isn't much of a defense.  

I think people are talking at cross purposes here.

Yes the Thai guy didn't follow standard road rules.

But we're talking about an island population of a developing nation here, many without education and the majority without any driving test qualifications. Add to this the mix of vehicles such as cars, trucks, speeding big bikes, songthaews and food vendors, then throw in the soi dogs wandering into the traffic, and you have a recipe for pure chaos.

So if you don't ride in a way that allows for this chaos, then maybe you are as much to blame as the 'obstacle' you come up against.

The video won't load on my browser, so I'm responding blind here, but hopefully you get my drift.

i have to cross a busy road most days to get to a bus stop; 3 lanes one way, one lane the other, it is so dangerous as many motorcyclists refuse to use the correct side of the road or if they want to get to the correct side they ride diagonally across three lanes of busy traffic towards the oncoming traffic. they hardly ever wait until it it safe to carry out a manoeuvre, they just go for it.

People die crossing the road regularly on Samui, it's <deleted> dangerous. This incident is unfortunate but not unusual.

If you ride, ride cautiously if you value your life.

I ride a bike and have done for 25 years but much slower on Samui, with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first.

6 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Like it is relay spectacular, sliding down the road at 80k, on your ass, better if the road is wet as you slide better ! ..  And watching the Huge showers of sparks, from the steel bits of you bike, sliding along the road, .... Coming up and out from under your bike, as it slides along next to you !  ... Straight through the Intersection !  ... But you do not hit anything, or get hit, ... Right …

So you can get up really quickly,  … and then desperately try to get your bike out of the middle of road, … before the lights change !

??? that is an excellent description... ah memories... but best left in the past as these days I’m 100% sure a reapeat of the above would see me dead  ?

7 hours ago, lust said:

Stop complaining about the lack of police enforcement. This isn’t your country. You signed up to these dangers before you came here. So annoying reading the same comments from people criticizing Thailand. 

Dont like? GO HOME!

Great contribution.... mind you, I feel that posters manage to roundly critising everyone, not just Thais. (That bits all right to do,... critising farangs...  right?), 

but yes... critising Thais does happen more frequently, and if I had to guess, I’d say it’s because we are reading about incidents that happen in Thailand... go figure

that said, with the oft repeated promise to address the carnage by those in power, who then negligently do nothing, how can you not be critical... or angry at being lied too etc etc etc

And.... do bear in mind that this is an expat forum, which features views and discussions by expats.... These views etc will be formed by experience, either here or abroad, and are expressed herein, often in a critical way because like it or not, Thailand has simply got it wrong (as evidenced by the worlds worst roads... and prawit watches) and we can see this.

Anyway.... if you think the police are doing a good job, good for you.... but I’m afraid your in the minority

here’s a trick.... 1/ write down a list of duties you feel that the police should fulfill... use internet sources if you need to, as these duties are generally listed on the police services homepage ( hey hey... that’s information that a farang might look up before coming here.... then only to discover the lie of it) 2/ with list in hand, consider if they are effectively doing their duty 3/ rate them against your list.

or.... save yourself the angst and find another forum, because More opinions, right or wrong, are only a click away, and someone will be getting critised.... probably Thais.... it’s a percentage thing... sorry 

• Like 1

A better helmet would have saved him , he used one of those cheap BIg C helmets. 

The first thing I would have done if I had invested in a bike was to buy a 4000 baht helmet (European standard)  , they are available in any decent motorbike shop, 

Fortunately I do not ride bikes in Thailand. 

having watched the video, it seems 50/50... sure the Thai should have cleared the "wrong side" of the road (he very nearly did completely), but in heavy traffic that is not always possible. It looks like the Frenchman's front wheel locked up which caused the scooter to slide from under him - maybe the road was a little wet and oily ?. He was incredibly unlucky to have hit his head such that it killed him. Under most circumstances it would have resulted in some torn clothing and scuffed paint at worst. This seems to have been a combination of unfortunate circumstances and timing.

From an 'eye witness' account (Post #74) it would appear that maybe this rider did not have his helmet strapped on. :sad:

About as stupid as laying a seat belt across yourself without buckling it up.

Crash helmets and other safety gear for riders and wearing selt belts (correctly) for other motor vehicles occupants is all about mitigating the disasterous effects of a crash! 

Just do it!

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment
  • Like 1

As I am sitting here reading these comments in serious pain, I don't have any answer. 

It just happened to me in Nakhon Thai two days ago, the rider stationary in the middle of the road saw a person, smiled and rode straight across in front of me. 

The result? 

My holiday ruined, my wife and I in terrible pain but fortunately no serious injuries. 

The offender is to attend the police station for negotiation on damages but already comments "she doesn't have any money". 

My near new bike 40,000 damage and my wife's telephone 7,000 not to mention the hotel and medical expenses. 

Other aggravating factors, but THE PAIN, unbelievable. 

We will see what happens but luckily it was not worse. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

From an 'eye witness' account (Post #74) it would appear that maybe this rider did not have his helmet strapped on. :sad:

About as stupid as laying a seat belt across yourself without buckling it up.

Crash helmets and other safety gear for riders and wearing selt belts (correctly) for other motor vehicles occupants is all about mitigating the disasterous effects of a crash! 

Just do it!

This observation seems to be correct and I fully support Your view, but when we take into consideration that he actually hit the other bike directly with head/helmet and so hard so it fell we can assume that the neck would have been snapped anyway with or without the strap in this situation....

Edited by ttrd

3 minutes ago, ttrd said:

This observation seems to be correct and I fully support Your view, but when we take into consideration that he actually hit the other bike directly with head/helmet and so hard so it fell we can assume that the neck would have been snapped anyway with or without the strap in this situation....

"...can assume that the neck would have been snapped anyway with or without the strap in this situation...."

Yes could be in this case. We will probably never know.

I was just expounding a logical principle though. It may save a life at slower speeds or less 'violent' crashes. :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, TheLobster said:

People die crossing the road regularly on Samui, it's <deleted> dangerous. This incident is unfortunate but not unusual.

If you ride, ride cautiously if you value your life.

I ride a bike and have done for 25 years but much slower on Samui, with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first.

25  years of driving by using the rear break only...??...You can consider yourself extremely lucky. The breakes on a bike/motorbike should be used front/back - 80/20, i.e Your front break is Your main break. NEVER use ONLY rear break and ALWAYS break smoothly and progressively - This Clip will tel you why...;)

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think people are talking at cross purposes here.

Yes the Thai guy didn't follow standard road rules.

But we're talking about an island population of a developing nation here, many without education and the majority without any driving test qualifications. Add to this the mix of vehicles such as cars, trucks, speeding big bikes, songthaews and food vendors, then throw in the soi dogs wandering into the traffic, and you have a recipe for pure chaos.

So if you don't ride in a way that allows for this chaos, then maybe you are as much to blame as the 'obstacle' you come up against.

The video won't load on my browser, so I'm responding blind here, but hopefully you get my drift.

Try this link, it works for me. The earlier links posted didn't work. 

https://vdokh.matichon.co.th/media/pub/89/89a50ef6e73b1475e69ad47ed74024c4/adaptive_hls/playlists.m3u8

You will notice that he did follow the standards of driving here in Thailand, actually in a good matter as he goes when there is a huge gap to the right. The rest is for you to judge;)

And for all those who are blaming the Thai guy, you can not bring your way of driving from back home to Thailand. It just don't work that way.

I'm driving 1.000-3.000 km/month on Thai roads. It's not a big deal when you know how to drive here.

I also would like to say that the more one complains about the traffic situation in Thailand, the lesser driving skills he has.

Oh, and b4 anyone throws the 1000+ deaths in traffic this year, pls consider that 74% was on a motorbike. If everyone had proper helmet on, the total death toll would for sure drop by over 50%. 

Cheers

• Like 1