Boris Johnson jokes about British sex tourism in Thailand during major Brexit speech

webfact

13 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

A perfectly harmless old school joke, based on facts.  Besides, embassy workers, aid workers. and NGO's are among the worst offenders when in comes to the sexual exploitation of third world girls and women. 

I wouldn't disagree about old school jokes, however, harmless they're not perceived to be in this politically-correct era - sadly. It gives the press a field day.

As to the worst offenders for sexual exploitation, closer to home in Cambodia it was the United Nations group running UNTAC a couple of decades ago, who facilitated the establishment of K11 just outside of Phnom Penh city centre.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

He is far from an idiot.

He managed to be elected as Mayor of London twice in succession, as a Tory, when Labour was in power nationally and he had somewhat lukewarm support from his own party establishment. They shouted "Boris you Tory w****r" after him as he cycled around London, and went and voted for him!

He is also an accomplished journalist (editor of the Spectator) and author of some very well written and entertaining books and television programs, on varied political and cultural issues. His TV series on Ancient Rome and its influence on Europe was very good.

He cultivates the mop headed buffoon look. His flowery language -"get up to some eye popping things", is very much part of that persona.

He is probably the most competent, and from the lefts point of view most dangerous Tory politician of his generation. Just look at the hatred he inspires from the left leaning press in the UK.

He is also surprisingly liberal (note small "l") in many of his policies.

He is no paragon, but he is no idiot.

I like him, if not all his policies.

and there speaks a grateful Brexiteer - you should have added he has one overriding policy which is BORIS JOHNSON - FIRST , SECOND AND LAST. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I wouldn't disagree about old school jokes, however, harmless they're not perceived to be in this politically-correct era - sadly. It gives the press a field day.

As to the worst offenders for sexual exploitation, closer to home in Cambodia it was the United Nations group running UNTAC a couple of decades ago, who facilitated the establishment of K11 just outside of Phnom Penh city centre.

Some of us with long memories remember Her Majesties Finest Ian Proud.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/apr/11/ianmackinnon

• Thanks 2

Unfortunately, people like Boris are a byproduct of the social justice warriors and the oversensitive PC brigades. Many people got sick and tired of being told what they could or couldn't say, and people like Donald Trump exploited that. 

Most people are visceral in their reactions. If you've got very few morals, just spout out idiotic rhetoric that plays to your audience. They'll love you for it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Orac said:

That it was a major speech about Brexit yet Boris has got everyone talking about sex tourism is a masterstroke of political slight of hand.

Well I suppose we are looking at it and commenting on it through the prism of living in Thailand. I doubt many elsewhere will see it as anything than a passing reference to where he was the day before.

• Like 2