Foreign manager of Koh Phangan hostel faces deportation for cannabis possession

webfact

33 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I grew up in SoCal and most of the people I know started smoking grass before they started drinking. 

Arguing that because one thing that ruins lives is legal all things that ruin lives should be legal does not make a lot of sense to me. 

I see, I grew up in the UK and most people I know started drinking before they started smoking weed. I visit the bay area regularly for business though and it's very common there - and plenty of people seem to get along perfectly fine doing it.

I'm not arguing that weed should be legal *because* alcohol is (though my opinion is that all substances should be legal for an adult to consume, it's their own responsibility).

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is drawing a line from marijuana-heroin and claiming statistical importance, whilst ruling out any statistical importance of the lines from alcohol-heroin, nicotine-heroin or indeed sugar-heroin.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I see, I grew up in the UK and most people I know started drinking before they started smoking weed. I visit the bay area regularly for business though and it's very common there - and plenty of people seem to get along perfectly fine doing it.

I'm not arguing that weed should be legal *because* alcohol is (though my opinion is that all substances should be legal for an adult to consume, it's their own responsibility).

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is drawing a line from marijuana-heroin and claiming statistical importance, whilst ruling out any statistical importance of the lines from alcohol-heroin, nicotine-heroin or indeed sugar-heroin.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

There isn't anyone against summer or ice cream, while people consume the most ice cream during summertime, and most drownings happen to happen during summertime. Arbitrary correlations pulled out of subjective ass don't develop the data necessary to reinforce any of these "statistical" beliefs.

Edit: and yes - the sales volume and drownings happen to correlate equally, according to statistics...

Edited by jabis
Addendum

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Why are people blaming the current government?

The laws regarding marijuana are not new.... Been around for a very long time. 

Under Thaksin he may have been shot  on the spot. 

Maybe people blame government because if everybody was smart, weed would be legalized ?

10 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Many countries have made homosexuality legal as well.  Go try it Saudi or Iran. 

The pros and construction of weed are irrelevant.  It is illegal under the law of Thailand. Arguments about it are futile. 

Personally I wish it was decriminalised but not legal.... Just a parking fine offence for personal use and possession of a few plants. 

I think legalising will only (eventually)  lead to Government regulation to the point it will be like buying a packet of smokes and become bland and boring with the profits going to the likes of Philip Morris and CO and the ( heavy)  taxes going to the Government. 

Over time some individuals and even governments become enlightebed.

"The pros and construction of weed are irrelevant."

He must have upset a local dealer, or he forgot his monthly brown envelope
It matters not why he's in this situation or that the police had no warrant, none of that nonsense, or as some bush lawyer suggested, evidence 'illegally' obtained can't be used against him. This is Thailand!! Different rules from home, wherever that is.

The fact is he's been caught with drugs, wrong/no permits for his operation, so he pays the price.....back to $hithole Beirut!!

You play the game...you take the knocks.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Closing down hostels has a knock on effect for all local business the little Thai restaurants or shops in the nearby vicinity where these hotels must now be feeling the loss of business. Soon there will be a lot of businesses being closed down which in the end will result in an increase in theft / robberies because people need a means of surviving all this is not good for such a small island .

So let these illegal operations continue??

If a guy kills his wife he shouldn't be jailed because the knock on effect is that his kids then don't have a father???

Seriously?

Wholeheartedly agreed.

There isn't anyone against summer or ice cream, while people consume the most ice cream during summertime, and most drownings happen to happen during summertime. Arbitrary correlations pulled out of subjective ass don't develop the data necessary to reinforce any of these "statistical" beliefs.

Edit: and yes - the sales volume and drownings happen to correlate equally, according to statistics...
Of course they do....more people at the beach consume more ice cream, and more people at the beach results in more drownings.

Nobody suggests surely, the people vet drunk on ice cream and drown as a consequence......surely?

I think one can make an argument that everything should be legal for all adults to consume as long as the argument includes adults be responsible for themselves. That argument is never included. Drug addicts are a drag on society.

I can buy alcohol, cigs and sugar all at the grocery store. I have to participate in criminal activity to buy pot and dope, I see a significant difference.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials also say that that hostel was operating without the correct permits.

These days I expect that is frequently the case... have a dart board and a small dance floor and you are likely missing a few.

36 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Personally I wish it was decriminalised but not legal.... Just a parking fine offence for personal use and possession of a few plants. 

I think legalising will only (eventually)  lead to Government regulation to the point it will be like buying a packet of smokes and become bland and boring with the profits going to the likes of Philip Morris and CO and the ( heavy)  taxes going to the Government. 

Exactly

6 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

What you've never had contact with any 'professional' level foreigners outside of Thailand? Look west and you'll see their point is true.

back in the day when i had my own Law practice NO i never came in touch with any professional people smoking weed maybe things have changed as that was 20 years ago. 

Edited by catman20
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, catman20 said:

back in the day when i had my own Law practice NO i never came in touch with any professional people smoking weed maybe things have changed as that was 20 years ago. 

You had your own law practice and you gave it all up to slum it in Thailand?

Of course you did.:cheesy:

Edited by Annunaki

Two flame posts have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

19 hours ago, Get Real said:

Good! Get rid of the junkie or pusher. What ever he might be. He break the law and should be deported or jailed. Gives more room for the real people that wants to do things the right way.

I can see your point of view but it should be done the legal way without bias, no search warrant and using the army as bully boys is breaking and entering, if he has done wrong then get proof and prosecute him in a court of 'law', alleging and assumption is not proof. While they are being so 'legal' about it they could prosecute the police for trespassing.  

17 minutes ago, Annunaki said:

You had your own law practice and you gave it all up to slum it in Thailand?

Of course you did.:cheesy:

what an idiotic comment. Might be news to you but people make life choices that are not just career or money based. As for "slum it in Thailand" I know many people who live a more luxurious life here than back home,  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, huberthammer said:

what an idiotic comment. Might be news to you but people make life choices that are not just career or money based. As for "slum it in Thailand" I know many people who live a more luxurious life here than back home,  

That may be the case but the majority of ex-pats on this forum are full on Walts and I have no reason not to believe that our Johnnie Cochran wannabee is any different.

10 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Shows your lack of understanding or lack of intelligence.

There is no such thing in the whole wide world as a cannabis/marijuana/hashish "junkie or pusher".

They do not exist.

Try again.

Maybe with heroin or meth or crack cocaine.

In those circles "junkies and pushers" do exist.

Two completely different scenes.

Dude.

Yep! Appearently illegal scenes, right? 

22 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Professional people are into cocaine, weed is for back packers.

apparently not ! go back and read the post from the start before you post

13 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Unless you live under a rock you have met many scientists , lawyers, Doctors, teachers , professors, policeman , firemen, pharmacists, politicians and hippies that all smoke WEED REGULARLY!! 

Edited by catman20