Foreign manager of Koh Phangan hostel faces deportation for cannabis possession

webfact

23 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

They specifically said 'often', not 'always'. What's clouding your logic?

My point still remains .

*Castrating homosexuals was once legal , so that means marijuana should be legal as well* , doesn't make sense to me

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My point still remains .

*Castrating homosexuals was once legal , so that means marijuana should be legal as well* , doesn't make sense to me

No, doesn't make sense to me either.

That's not actually what they said though.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I guess somehow "in between". Strange religious groups do such things to people and make them to followers, transforming people into individuals who can't even think for themselves. They only repeat what others tell them. 

Amen Sister.:stoner:

On 15/02/2018 at 4:06 AM, Get Real said:

Good! Get rid of the junkie or pusher. What ever he might be. He break the law and should be deported or jailed. Gives more room for the real people that wants to do things the right way.

Ohh to be so morally superior, if we was all as perfect as you

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

My point still remains .

*Castrating homosexuals" is no longer legal.?  Goodness.    How did there ever come to be.

Let's all move to Saudi Arabia so we can get that "comfortable feeling" to know freedom from gays and lesbians

What about just cutting off the tongue of anyone who smokes a joint or gets drunk?                  :smile:

?

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

So only Muslims an Christians support the rule of law?

No, not necessarily. But those two groups, in their extremes tend to be the least tolerant on the planet, and support things like draconian penalties for things as innocent, and meaningless as the smoking of a joint. Also, they tend to be very judgmental, and are often willing to declare pot smokers are something far more heinous than they are. Some even refer to pot smokers as addicts, and compare them to users of heroin. Never has a more ignorant and less informed judgment been cast. 

In terms of the rule of law, as you very well know, that is incredibly selective here. If you have enough cash, you not only can smoke and possess as much pot as you want here, but the police will not touch you for it. And if they do, you walk away scot free. In addition you can commit murder, engage in human trafficking, have slaves aboard your fishing boats, and do pretty much anything you like. So, the law here is very subjective. Also, it is being enforced by a junta lacking in judgment. So, I have little respect for the enforcement of silly laws.

Pot should be legal worldwide. It harms nobody, unless you count poor memory and lack of ambition as great offenses against the nation. 

No, not necessarily. But those two groups, in their extremes tend to be the least tolerant on the planet, and support things like draconian penalties for things as innocent, and meaningless as the smoking of a joint. Also, they tend to be very judgmental, and are often willing to declare pot smokers are something far more heinous than they are. Some even refer to pot smokers as addicts, and compare them to users of heroin. Never has a more ignorant and less informed judgment been cast. 

In terms of the rule of law, as you very well know, that is incredibly selective here. If you have enough cash, you not only can smoke and possess as much pot as you want here, but the police will not touch you for it. And if they do, you walk away scot free. In addition you can commit murder, engage in human trafficking, have slaves aboard your fishing boats, and do pretty much anything you like. So, the law here is very subjective. Also, it is being enforced by a junta lacking in judgment. So, I have little respect for the enforcement of silly laws.

Pot should be legal worldwide. It harms nobody, unless you count poor memory and lack of ambition as great offenses against the nation. 

I can’t speak to Islam, but that has just not been my experience with Christians. It has been my experience that those that squeal the loudest about intolerance and hate, are generally the most hateful and intolerant people on the planet.

Incidentally, Christians and churches do far more to help drug addicts and alcoholics than all government programs combined.

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

Big difference between smoking a weed as a kid and smoking it most every day you can get it.

Obviously, but not surprisingly you didnt Catch the point...:coffee1:

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I can’t speak to Islam, but that has just not been my experience with Christians. It has been my experience that those that squeal the loudest about intolerance and hate, are generally the most hateful and intolerant people on the planet.

Incidentally, Christians and churches do far more to help drug addicts and alcoholics than all government programs combined.

if you read my post, I was not referring to Christians. I was referring to the most extreme Christians. I said in their extremes. I am talking about right of evangelicals. Ok? I have no issue with Christians, and know many are very sincere. But anyone who is extreme, tends to be very judgmental. Just part and parcel of the lifestyle. Moderation is balanced living. 

23 hours ago, Get Real said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See how many intelligent persons that replied above, in favor for ganja and pot smoking.

The thing is that you can comment as much as you want, and it still makes no differens. The drug he was found to have in possession is illegal in Thailand.
Therefore he should be jailed or just thrown out and banned. That´s what happens when you break the law in a foreign country,

Junkie is appearently a word some of the posters should google. It´means a person addicted to a drug.

If he want to smoke that shit, he should have gone to a country where its´s legal.

So now you can all go to sleep, knowing the facts, and why he is going to face deportation, or you can choose to talk for rubbish.

I expect you don't realize how many people smoke Ganga here.

It is a very minor crime, just like it is in the UK or USA. Likewise, many newbies think gambling is going to get one deported, when it's a 1000 fine, even if it goes to court.

50 minutes ago, goonnerone said:

Ohh to be so morally superior, if we was all as perfect as you

What a perception you have. When did I say or try to state that I am perfect?
The only thing I say is that people who break the law has to pay the price.

If you think you have to be perfect for not breaking the law, I guess that have to stand for you.

Neither is there any morally superior in my comment. My comment just talks to common sense and self preservation in a foreign country.

You on the other hand, now judging out of your comment, must live a life where following laws and regulations is somewhat an alien concept.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I expect you don't realize how many people smoke Ganga here.

It is a very minor crime, just like it is in the UK or USA. Likewise, many newbies think gambling is going to get one deported, when it's a 1000 fine, even if it goes to court.

You are totally wrong. I know that there are many that smokes pot here, but I do not care at all. I am also aware of the change of this to quite recently become a minor crime.

Don´t talk to me about UK or USA. Your making me laugh. Do you realize how big of a problem all drugs combined are in thoose two countries?

However, to end it all. I really wished that it would be a higher punishment on this shit. Like a huge fine or a lot of years in a Thai jail. Not only deportation. Hell, why not use the death penalty, like it once stood on the signs on a few of the tourist islands. I also wish it was harder punishment for gambling, due to that it many times create a hard economic pressure on the innocent part of many families. There you got it! That´s my opinion, and it won´t change.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ttrd said:

RE -  Who really are your made up "real people that wants to do things the right way"? Do you think if they exist they may have to pay bribes to police to even exist? 

Different People different experiences. I know a handfull farangs who have performed small and midsize legal businesses (legal with a BIG L)  for the last 12 years in Thailand and have never paid bribes at all - not 1 baht as the businesses have all the required approvals and Licenses, have kept the visas and WP's intact and formally hired the required amount of thais in addition to clean accounting which means all taxes paid - based on that fact to be forced to pay bribes means Your business is illegal or Close to. If you create a such opening means you have noone else but yourself to blame, actually not more complicated than that ...:coffee1: 

And were any of their businesses on Koh Phangan??  I rest my case?

20 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You are totally wrong. I know that there are many that smokes pot here, but I do not care at all. I am also aware of the change of this to quite recently become a minor crime.

Don´t talk to me about UK or USA. Your making me laugh. Do you realize how big of a problem all drugs combined are in thoose two countries?

However, to end it all. I really wished that it would be a higher punishment on this shit. Like a huge fine or a lot of years in a Thai jail. Not only deportation. Hell, why not use the death penalty, like it once stood on the signs on a few of the tourist islands. I also wish it was harder punishment for gambling, due to that it many times create a hard economic pressure on the innocent part of many families. There you got it! That´s my opinion, and it won´t change.

Nothing compared to the carnage alcohol causes. In Scotland, 3 out of 4 crimes are alcohol related, and probably much the same here. 

Do you drink?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nothing compared to the carnage alcohol causes. In Scotland, 3 out of 4 crimes are alcohol related, and probably much the same here. 

Do you drink?

Do you realize yourself, where you are going with this conversation? I have never said that alcohol isn´t dangerous. I have never said that it does not exist alcohol related crimes.

The thing is that alcohol is a legal drug in Thailand, and smoking pot is not. Not yet at least. It might be in the future, but until then it´s just for people that want to be here to follow the law.

Regarding your question if I drink. Yes, sometimes. Maybe 4-6 times a month. Whatever that is related to illegal activities?
Hope it humour your knowledge feed in somekind of way, though.

53 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

And were any of their businesses on Koh Phangan??  I rest my case?

No - in HH & Bkk, but to follow the contrys laws and regulations is not geographically conditioned so your question doesnt make any sence...:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Dearey me, what a piece of work you are!

Smoke a joint = "a lot of years in jail" or even "the death penalty".

Everybody should obey THE LAW,  never mind if the law is an ass.

Hey, straight man, here's a tattoo for ya, on my L/H wrist;

"What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law".

Here's my R/H wrist;

"When we do right, no one remembers, when we do wrong, no one forgets".

Don't forget to lock all your doors and windows at night, there's some bad, crazy people out there..., possibly commies, or even worse, weed fiends....

Be safe now..

2 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

And that is not what one would consider to be a junkie.. The depiction of a junkie is someone who comes out in sweats, who steals, robs, kills whatever for their fix. Weed doesn't have the ability to do such a thing to someone, and if it does then it is a very rare occurrence indeed. I used to smoke weed in my teens for a good 3-4 years daily, and so did many of my friends. It isn't a typical 'junkie' related drug, if anything alcohol is more of a junkie drug to be honest and to be fair, as that is both mentally and physically addictive 

I never used the term "junkie", you threw that in. I would not consider a pot-head a junkie, it is my understanding a junkie is someone strung-out on "junk".

Incidentally, 64,000 people in the US died of opiates in 2017, up 500% in three years. I am sure it is not related to the legalization of recreational marijuana.

One of the best and worst things about smoking marijuana is sleeping. Getting goodly toasted before bedtime meant some great dreams and sleep. So, when you quit smoking getting to sleep becomes an issue.

The funny thing is it was Nancy Reagan's say no to drugs that got Thailand to change its view on drugs. In 1980 we anchored outside Pattaya. Drugs were common and plentiful. Ahhhh the good ole days.

3 hours ago, ttrd said:

No - in HH & Bkk, but to follow the contrys laws and regulations is not geographically conditioned so your question doesnt make any sence...:coffee1:

The topic was about Koh Phangan so yes it does make sense. Many/ most law abiding Thais and foreigners have to pay bribes there to exist. So I rest my case again. 

18 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The topic was about Koh Phangan so yes it does make sense. Many/ most law abiding Thais and foreigners have to pay bribes there to exist. So I rest my case again. 

Again - the Law is NOT geographically conditioned. If they need to pay bribes means nothing else than their activities are illegal or somewhat Shady. If you then chose to be involved in such activities then you have nobody else to blame than yourself which is the major point in this thread and not the location - illegal or Shady type of businesses will never be legal just because some perform them and have done so over time - so if you are involved in such type of business regardless of location you will never be able to rest in piece...;)

Edited by ttrd

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Dearey me, what a piece of work you are!

Smoke a joint = "a lot of years in jail" or even "the death penalty".

Everybody should obey THE LAW,  never mind if the law is an ass.

"Never mind if the law is an ass" Ok, and as a foreigner that is the right mentality to have in a foreign country. I would suggest to follow the law. Otherwise it can lead to problem.

Hey, straight man, here's a tattoo for ya, on my L/H wrist;

"What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law".

Here's my R/H wrist;

Nice tattoos, thank you! The first one states that following the law in a foreign country is to show disrespect for the law???? Makes absolutely no sense.

The second one is actually a classic. That´s how it is with everything in every country. The law abiding people never hit the news, while the ones who break it gets their 5 minute of fame. Nothing new at all, and not really a uniqe tattoo to be proud over.

Don't forget to lock all your doors and windows at night, there's some bad, crazy people out there..., possibly commies, or even worse, weed fiends....

Be safe now..

I do not really know how to value this statement. Very confusing? In one way it´s a threat, and in another way a silly and irrelevant comment. Why would I not feel safe? Is communists or weed users supposed to be dangerous for me??? Never implied that. Just stating the importance of abiding the law, disregarding if you agree with it or not, in a foreign country. As I am not a person with a positive attitude to drugs, I have also stated my opinion about that.

Ok, go ahead and have a nice day now, and don´t wind yourself up so much so you put a lot of tattoos on your body just because of it. :smile:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

How did he qualify for a proper work permit to manage that little place?  I have seen foreign owners hanging around, but never saw a so called foreign manager.

40 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

How did he qualify for a proper work permit to manage that little place?  I have seen foreign owners hanging around, but never saw a so called foreign manager.

How do you know he has a "proper" work permit?

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Here's my R/H wrist;

I do find that slogan to be rather immature .

Why would anybody remember when you do something "right" ?

Its like some wayward people expecting praise for no doing anything wrong .

*I went to the shops today and I didnt steal anything* and they expect people to remember that , but they complain when people remember when they stole something .

Of course other people remember when you do do bad things , and its just expected that people should do "right" things and not wrong things