Runway Cracks Widen At Suvarnabhumi

george

Building runways over snake swamps was not a good idea unless the area was properly drained beforehand and enough underpinning of the tarmac runway was put in place.

Then the area should have been provided with a proper outlet for the deluge of rain water falling to be able to run away. If the water is still running under the runways trying to find a way out then they will crack.

The snakes must be curling up with laughter :o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is sad is that some editor at the BKK Post lost his job over the original reporting of the runway cracks and subsequently was sued (I think). I wonder what happened to him and whether he will now have legal recourse for his original reporting.

As for tourists not coming to Thailand because of the airport, I highly doubt it as long as it remains safe by international airports. I have never not taken a flight because I didn't like the airport where I was landing.

I have a feeling that it is the airlines that are most influential in deciding where a plane will land depending on availability, convenience, safety and most importantly, cost.

I've taken off and landed from there once. I wasn't impressed, but the next time I fly, if that's where my flight is departing, then that's where I'll be.

Rather than complain and point fingers, why not repair the damage?

The TV posters? Yeah, let's go out there and fix it. How about Saturday? Anyone?

not available, I'll be in Cha Am....but I'll bring back a few bags of sand for the concrete ..............

Rather than complain and point fingers, why not repair the damage?

The TV posters? Yeah, let's go out there and fix it. How about Saturday? Anyone?

not available, I'll be in Cha Am....but I'll bring back a few bags of sand for the concrete ..............

and a couple of square mouth shovels to handle the hot-mix

AOT plays down runway cracks

post-27080-1169563978_thumb.jpg

Airports of Thailand (AOT) Plc insists runway and taxiway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport - which could cost Bt1 billion to fix - are not serious enough to prompt airlines to shift back to Don Muang.

However, officials said they would shut the airport down if the damage constituted a threat to aircraft and passengers.

post-27080-1169564314_thumb.jpg

"There are cracks at 25 locations and the areas have been closed for reconstruction," AOT senior executive vice president Somchai Sawasdeepon said.

"This problem has affected our capacity slightly. Now, we can accommodate 60 flights an hour down from 72."

post-27080-1169564166_thumb.jpg

But Defence Ministry deputy permanent secretary Admiral Bannavit Kengrien threatened to shut down Suvarnabhumi if an investigation proved cracks could lead to damage. A team of Army engineers was assessing them.

post-27080-1169565529.jpg

Bannavit Kengrien, the National Legislative Assembly's Suvarnabhumi Airport subcommittee.

"If the investigation finds runways are dangerous we will immediately recommend the closing of Suvarnabhumi to prevent harm to passengers," Bannavit said.

The investigation would be completed by the end of the month.

post-27080-1169563954_thumb.jpg

Bannavit lashed out at the previous government, blaming it for the current construction concerns.

He claimed the Thaksin-Shinawatra administration had abandoned a "defective child" for others to raise.

post-27080-1169564023_thumb.jpg

He said wherever one looked there was the legacy of alleged corruption by the Thaksin government - baggage scanners, telephone lines, baggage trolleys and a hotel fiasco.

He claimed the airport difficulties were an "indignity" and that the airport hotel had cost the government Bt500 million over five years.

post-27080-1169564086_thumb.jpg

"Thaksin declared there was no corruption at the airport but we have found corruption in every tiny detail. Something we were once proud of has turned into a graveyard," Bannavit said.

Meanwhile, Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen said AOT would quickly investigate the cracks that may have been caused by sub-standard repairs at an earlier time.

post-27080-1169564117_thumb.jpg

He was considering punishment for those involved.

AOT executive Somchai said the cracks were "unexpected" and had been caused by flooding during the wet season.

post-27080-1169564225_thumb.jpg

A construction joint venture is responsible for repairs. The IOT group is made up of Italian-Thai Development plus the Obayashi and Takenak corporations.

The runways are insured and the policy held by Diphaya Insurance.

post-27080-1169564265_thumb.jpg

Repair costs had yet to be calculated but would be in the vicinity of Bt1 billion, Somchai said, adding a claim would have to be made soon because the policy expires in August.

The AOT board meets on Thursday to discuss the cracks crisis.

The Nation

post-27080-1169565283_thumb.png

Years ago when Montri of Social Action Party was supervising Suwannapum's landfill, (why on earth build an airport on a swamp when there was solid land available near Nakhon Pathom?),the sand used for the filling in was dubbed 'The Golden Sand' by the press because of its outrageous price.

The corruption in this airport is sickening, please strap all culprits to the runway, preferably at midday in peak season.

Transport Ministry launch probe into cracks at taxiways

post-27080-1169569240_thumb.jpg

Prapan Koonmee (Right) , chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's Suvarnabhumi Airport subcommittee.

A Transport Ministry committee was Tuesday set up to look into what caused several taxiways at Suvarnabhumi airport to crack.

Among three possible causes reported, Minister Thira Haocharoen said the panel would determine whether the cracking had been caused by poor construction and the use of substandard material, poor management of underwater flooding, or bad designs of taxiways.

post-27080-1169569294_thumb.jpg

The panel will be assisted by members from the Engineering Institute of Thailand Under HM The King's Patronage (EIT).

post-27080-1169569368_thumb.jpg

He ruled out the possibility of the airport being closed temporarily to sort out the cracking, but said: "if the effects stemming from cracking will be jeopardising the aviation operations, something may need to be done further."

The Nation

Transport Minister revealed 3 main reasons for runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Transport Minister Thira Haocharoen has set up a committee to investigate the runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Admiral Thira said the government is concerned with the runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport, and the initial investigation has found three main causes. They include inappropriate construction materials, floods, and inadequate maintenance. However, the government could not reach a real conclusion and has set up a committee to investigate and solve the problem permanently.

In addition, the Transport Minister said the problem has not yet affected the use of Suvarnabhumi Airport. However, if the problem lingers, Don Muang Airport can be reused, though there is a need to increase the airport’s control system.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 January 2007

I remember that the BKK Post fired its editor and printed a front-page retraction over a story on cracks in the runway. How do they feel now after buckling under to Thaiksin? At least the Nation tried to stay strong in the face of pressure from the previous government.

Yes exactly what I was thinking. That reporter/editor ought to sue the sh*t out of all of them! The newspaper, the officials, everyone!

What a disgrace...shameful. No face whatsoever.

Transport Minister revealed 3 main reasons for runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Transport Minister Thira Haocharoen has set up a committee to investigate the runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Admiral Thira said the government is concerned with the runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport, and the initial investigation has found three main causes. They include inappropriate construction materials, floods, and inadequate maintenance. However, the government could not reach a real conclusion and has set up a committee to investigate and solve the problem permanently.

In addition, the Transport Minister said the problem has not yet affected the use of Suvarnabhumi Airport. However, if the problem lingers, Don Muang Airport can be reused, though there is a need to increase the airport’s control system.

:D ................................................................. :o ...................................................

Got to love it - all the reasons listed, but we cannot reach a conclusion. In other words, no one will get caught for ripping someone off and the insurance company will foot the bill to fix it. I wonder how long until more cracks appear next year and the year after etc etc?

:D ................................................................. :o ...................................................

Inadequate maintenance?!? Yeah, that's a good one. Re-pave every week and it won't have time to crack... :o

Independent panel to probe Suvarnabhumi runway cracks

BANGKOK, Jan 24 (TNA) - Bangkok's new international airport has about 100 cracks in its taxiways and runways and will need to close the damaged areas temporarily for repair, according to Transport Minister Thira Haochareon.

The transport minister told reporters Tuesday that the Cabinet would convene another independent panel of experts to determine how serious the cracks are and what has caused them.

The authorities were concerned that the cracks appear to be far more extensive than first detected when the new airport was officially opened in September.

Senior airport officials, however, insisted that the cracks pose no threat to aircraft and passenger safety, but admitted that they might consider reopening the former Don Muang Airport temporarily if the panel found the damage to be serious.

According to the Engineering Institute of Thailand, which carried out the first inspection, there are two theories on what may be causing the cracks: poor construction, or that excessive underground water from the heavy floods in late 2006 undermined the runway foundations, which caused them to swell and crack. The airport was built on a swamp.

Tortrakul Yommanak, a board member of the Airports Authority of Thailand, said that it may take up to three weeks for the new panel of experts to carry out the probe. Whether the whole airport or parts of it

would have to be closed for repair depends on the panel's recommendations, he added.

The agency's board of directors will meet on Thursday to discuss urgent remedial action.

Suvarnabhumi Airport director Somchai Sawasdeepon said the authorities have informed airlines that they had to close seven airbridges to allow repair work to be carried out on cracked taxiways.

He said the cracks first appeared two months after the airport was opened. About 25 of them are serious and seven have already been fixed.

Some of the 35-cm-deep taxiway surface made up of asphalt and cement was found to be unable to withstand the weight of the aircraft, Mr. Somchai added.

Mr. Tortrakul said that the latest batch of problems would add to technical glitches, bad publicity and corruption allegations that have plagued the new Bangkok airport.

The government has blamed endemic corruption in the building process for the raft of problems that are emerging. Most of the construction was carried out under Thaksin Shinawatra's premiership from 2001 to 2006.

Source: TNA - 24 January 2007

The authorities were concerned that the cracks appear to be far more extensive than first detected when the new airport was officially opened in September.

................. ............................ ...................................

He said the cracks first appeared two months after the airport was opened. About 25 of them are serious and seven have already been fixed.

..................... ...................................... ..........................

The government has blamed endemic corruption in the building process for the raft of problems that are emerging. Most of the construction was carried out under Thaksin Shinawatra's premiership from 2001 to 2006.

welcome to the party ...........................

"Adm Theera said the cracking was increasing, including those found at the northern end of the eastern runway and the southern end of the western runway.

The immediate solution was to advise pilots to avoid cracked areas. That would be possible because the runways were wide and long enough, Adm Theera said" :o:blink::D

Fasten your seatbelts...

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/24Jan2007_news01.php

As some sort of omni-present god, he was also chairman of the airport committee ,:o while being head of his party, PM, fighting poverty, drugs, officialy opening new expressway extensions, owner of Shin and other shenanigans.

Since we're on the subject of airports, what's happening with Thaksin's Air Force One? What a waste of taxpayers money...

Edited by Tony Clifton

Exactly one year ago, our Isaan city put in a new 4-lane, 1 km extension to a highway north of our town. Yesterday I was counting the repair patches (1m x 2m) in the 1km section as I motored along the new stretch. Twenty-four of them. The newly-paved 1km stretch in front of my house (we endured a dirt road for a couple years), looks about the same now, a year later also--a patchwork of repairs.

It has occurred to me that the road construction companies here have no idea about the importance of foundations and underlayment of concrete/asphalt structures. (Or, as some suggest, cut corners to skim extra profits).

It sad to see this curse extend to something as important as an international airport, and all the safety and reputation concerns involved. :o

It has occurred to me that the road construction companies here have no idea about the importance of foundations and underlayment of concrete/asphalt structures. (Or, as some suggest, cut corners to skim extra profits).

The workers don't, but I am sure the engineers do. However, it is a lot more profitable to get to redo the work every year instead of doing it as a one-off job.

You can see the same thing in many large irrigation canals - reinforced concrete walls that collapse in the same spot every year. They empty the canal, redo it and within a year the same section will be gone again.

There's an endless supply of government money for these kind of things, and the government reps doing the purchasing is never going to put an end to it. The kickbacks is a too large part of their income...

Edited by lingling

Given that these cracks are now official "facts", I wonder if the poor newshound who reported them before the airport was opened and then promptly got sacked for his troubles, will now get reinstated in his job and given an apology by the Bangkok Post? If I was him, I would also ask to demand that the paper's chairman climbs down into one of the cracks (a la Tony's Tax-sin) and eats humble pie (or better still a jar of pla rah) while reporter gets to kick sand in his face.

Now that would be poetic justice at its best.

AOT management expedites investigation into Suvarnabhumi runway fractures

The management of the Airport of Thailand company is expediting investigations into reports of fractures on the Suvarnabhumi Airport's runway surface.

The Managing Director of the Airport of Thailand company, Mr. Thowthrakul Yhomanak (ต่อตระกูล ยมนาค), revealed that a selection process is currently underway for 5-9 additional members of an investigation committee to review reports of fractures found on the Suvarnabhumi Airport runway surfaces. All committee members will be selected based on their expertise on geology and soil. Mr. Thowthrakul expects that a conclusion will be reached by next week, and affirms that committee members would be selected for their impartiality in the investigation.

The Airport of Thailand will also be submitting papers to the Department of Highways to secure their assistance in drilling for soil composition samples from the runway fracture sites. The Asian Institute of Technology, and famed engineers from other institutes have also been asked to assist in the matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 January 2007

The Managing Director of the Airport of Thailand company, Mr. Thowthrakul Yhomanak (ต่อตระกูล ยมนาค), revealed that a selection process is currently underway for 5-9 additional members of an investigation committee to review reports of fractures found on the Suvarnabhumi Airport runway surfaces. All committee members will be selected based on their expertise on geology and soil. Mr. Thowthrakul expects that a conclusion will be reached by next week, and affirms that committee members would be selected for their impartiality in the investigation.

oh-boy .................................

all that in a week ??