Live/Work Shophouse in Santitham/Chang Phuak

Jhipo

I have a question. I've been going to Chiang Mai for the last 19 years and am due to retire there in June. Last December I was looking at older beat up 2or 3 story Shophouses in Santitham; along Soi Santitham, Morakot, Hussadhisawee. I would like to rent one of these older shophouses and fix it up to my liking. I would live there as well as do my art; mosaic, paint, some small woodwork, etc. My questions is, "What are the chances of getting a longterm rental (10 years)?" I figure if I'm going to fix it up I don't want to be booted out after a year or two. I don't want a condo. I'm not a typical faring as I really enjoy urban living and the noise of working class, busy neighborhoods. Right now I own a place in the heart of noisy crowded Chinatown in San Francisco and love it. I know I should've asked back in December but I it slipped my mind. Thanks for any feedback.

In your 19 years of visiting Chiang Mai have you made any Thai friends who can help you?

I think leases can be written for any length of time, and if written well (get a good Thai lawyer on your side) can not be broken without cause, unless someone rich and well-connected wants you out.    Of course the character of the area you live in can change significantly over the years, but I assume you've already considered this. 

I think your biggest challenge will be in finding property to your liking with a landlord agreeable to the kind of lease you want.  For that, I think Thai friends can help you more than TV.