Live/Work Shophouse in Santitham/Chang Phuak

Jhipo

I have a question. I've been going to Chiang Mai for the last 19 years and am due to retire there in June. Last December I was looking at older beat up 2or 3 story Shophouses in Santitham; along Soi Santitham, Morakot, Hussadhisawee. I would like to rent one of these older shophouses and fix it up to my liking. I would live there as well as do my art; mosaic, paint, some small woodwork, etc. My questions is, "What are the chances of getting a longterm rental (10 years)?" I figure if I'm going to fix it up I don't want to be booted out after a year or two. I don't want a condo. I'm not a typical faring as I really enjoy urban living and the noise of working class, busy neighborhoods. Right now I own a place in the heart of noisy crowded Chinatown in San Francisco and love it. I know I should've asked back in December but I it slipped my mind. Thanks for any feedback.

You may be able to do a 10 year lease if the owner is up for that sort of commitment. 

Or just buy it, to be owned by a Thai person of your choice and then do the lease and other paperwork.  That way your rent money (and renovation budget) doesn't just evaporate but the asset eventually goes to a person you know and like.

Renovating is fun by the way.

Before.thumb.jpg.ed024740c08c023be8408559de5288fe.jpg

And then after: 

5a85e979df2a2_AlmostDone.thumb.jpg.c8901f5a0ecffad5ab84a738c625c5ae.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

These are very hard to come by as everyone is in the Hostel business right now... But you can keep an eye out on the following forum as a few failed Hostel businesses come up for sale (not the building)... You can buy them out and take over the rent... To protect yourself have any long term lease (+ 3years) registered with the land department... 

Facebook search for:  เช่า เซ้ง ร้าน ขายบ้านมือสอง เชียงใหม่

Btw... I rented and renovated and lived in a wonderful townhouse behind Wat Suan Dok a while back that was great... Quiet area yet right in the city... 

• Like 1

The owners normally only have a 1 or several year Leases

because they can jack the price up more often

I have friends who rent premises

I has closed to the price increase this last renewal

Maybe stay someplace and look around to see other places

You are talking about a Buiness

Have you looked into running a business here?

I wish you luck

Thank you all for the responses. Winnie, your place came out great! I return to Chiang Mai in June. Maybe we can meet so that I can find out how you went about renovating.  SFOKevin, I have thought about the idea of buying through a Thai friend and am leaving that option open. Actually that's what I plan to do if I don't get a good long lease. Thanks again folks. Can't wait to start this new adventure.