Pattaya police chief warns against ‘angpao’ envelopes

Rimmer

Pattaya police chief warns against ‘angpao’ envelopes

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s police chief warned officers against taking traditional “angpao” red envelopes over the Chinese New Year, saying those who do are not following tradition, as it might be seen as taking bribes.

Pol. Col. Apichai Kroppech issued the anti-corruption directive Feb. 6 as he laid down security orders for the Feb. 14-16 period, which coincided with Valentine’s Day.

The prime directive was to crackdown on anyone selling firecrackers and fireworks for Chinese New Year.

Traffic police also were assigned throughout town to establish checkpoints and tables have been set up as support centers to assist tourists.

All security measures were stepped up as Pattaya expected a busy weekend for the start of the “Year of the Dog”.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-02-16

57 minutes ago, rebo said:

Taking bribes IS tradition!

Or is it just a rumour ? :unsure:

Seriously, how do you know about that ?

More than 10 years than I am living here,

and I never had to give an envelope or money to a policeman... :sleep:

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Careful, defending the integrity of the RTP is  certifiable behavior

• Haha 2

On 16/02/2018 at 12:13 PM, Pattaya46 said:

You can't be a business man then.  I visit about 8 bars during the course of a Quiz Night season.  EVERY owner pays.  I have witnessed two young guys in full uniform turn up on a motor bike; walk directly to the bar; receive an envelope (yes it was brown); then drive off.

I have two friends who both owned bars; one shut down because the BIB wanted 24K each month!  The other paid 50K as local police arrested him for illegal working - he made himself a coffee in his wife's  bar which was not even open. 

My wife gave a Sattahip cop 12K under the table to get him to drop some trumped up charge against me in a driving accident.

If you've never experienced this you've been very lucky.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

// My wife gave a Sattahip cop 12K under the table to get him to drop some trumped up charge against me in a driving accident.

So you corrupted a Policeman by offering him a bribe, :shock1:

and now you complain that he took it... :whistling:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Do read the full post; don't jump on one tiny part of the list ignoring all the other bits that contradict your earlier statement.

It says  'my wife paid'.  I knew nothing about it until weeks later.  I was waiting at a U-turn and two tear-a-ways ran into me at 90 kph.  They had no licence & one helmet.  The bent cop arriving ten minutes later said it was my fault as I had crossed the main road.  He explained that he would make getting my visa 'difficult' next year; he would confiscate my passport weeks before my trip back to UK to see my grand-children.  Yes she paid.

I hope your charmed life vis-a-vis Thai cops continues; I wouldn't wish the anguish I suffered for eight months even on you.

It isn't   fair to ask a person to comprehend something that's totally beyond  their grasp.

• Like 1