Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

4 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

the gentleman worked 30 yrs. in thailand, hence he should be entitled to access the thai social security system ( hospital visit, sickness benefits) although his company not paying him they have to pay social security contribution for him.

wbr

roobaa01

Depends what sort of "company" it was. Not paying him for five months suggests it was possibly some chancer just paying cash in hand. Who would actually keep working for five months without pay anyway.? Only half a story there, it don,t add up.

Ah, I have since read an earlier post that says he stopped work when he had a fall at home, and that is when the pay stopped. the problem seems to be no insurance and no savings. Living from one weeks wage packet to another with no back-up is a precarious existence.

Edited by rott

5 hours ago, draks said:

You guys are so judgemental, this guy has made mistakes, and is now paying for it. All of you are so perfect you have never made a mistake in your life? You live your perfect little lives and look down on people, not as perfect as you.

I have always said to live in Asia you should have an outside income. Many men come to southeast Asia and end up on the streets begging, usually bad planning, but also, being scammed out of everything. But for the grace of God go I. It's extremely easy to lose everything in Asia

It is also extremely easy not to lose everything, in fact most people manage it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, smedly said:

surely he has a UK state pension of some sort and no harm to him but his health issues look like he has stuffed himself over the years into a slug state, does he smoke drink ?

Pretty sad state of affairs that only he has responsibility for

Well I won't make assumptions about his lifestyle because that is none of my business and only speculation anyway, but he should be eligible for a British state pension IF he has paid national insurance in the UK.  Not doing for over 30 years would probably mean that he would only be eligible for pension credit which (I believe) is only paid if you are in the UK.

The man and his family needs help no matter where he comes from.  Unfortunately the Thai social support system is not very supportive.

5 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

true why is the money not used to buy him and get his wife and child a passport to go to uk , once he is there as uk just about takes anyone who has no money and once there , the usual will happen , they will give him a house as he will go to the front of the queue and uk residents will go to the back of it , also he will get benefits , and not have to work and possibly most bills will be paid for him ! i have even heard of a pakistan man claiming for his 4 wives back in pakistan and they did not even live in uk he got the money , why not give it to someone who has not paid any taxes or contributions for years in uk.

You just don’t take your family back to the U.K.

There is a very detailed proceedure that you must go through,and unfortunately it’ costly, but the main stumbling block is that you must be able to  provide proof, that you can support your non British wife. There are exceptions, Mainly for non-Brits, but from what we know, he would’t be eligible or suitable to take advantage of that route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

he could soon get that with all the benefits they stupidly give away and , housing , disabled , and state pension or working at a desk 25,000 a year 

Would seem to have to come from pension, state or private, if neither then from work etc, doesn't seem like benefits are counted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Chriss77 said:

My existence goes alright.

Got a wife, got a daughter.

However i am eating too much chocolate and my gut is expanding.

Think i might eat till i cant walk then message you for some free cash

I'm an ideas man....

I've got a wife and two daughters, does that make my existence fuller than yours?

Strange way to justify your life.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

I believe he would need an income of around £18,000 a year to apply for his wife's settlement, plus more if a child is going as well.

You believe wrong, no requirements for British children, different requirements for the wife of chronically sick people.

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Maybe you should study the UK system- he would get some pension if he only had 10 years NI contributions, it's very likely he has 20 years and is entitled to receive it every 4 weeks already at his age. As he has not bothered to claim apparently it seems to be another indication of his own irresponsibility and lack of awareness, not really a case for 'compassion' IMO.

I don't see how he'd have 20 years in if he left at 35. Often, when young,  people have gaps in their employment as well. If he hasn't applied, it's could very well be because he knows he does not qualify.

As an aside, I've donated (in the past) to ppl who I saw as down on their luck. I learned it will never satisfy the giver if they rely solely the later reactions of the recipient. I found it better  to give because it makes me feel better. Relying on their reaction or outcome often left me with regret, so I stopped even looking for it.  One particular year, I gave away turkeys to families around the holidays. Not 100's. A handful. In one family, the husband later murdered the wife.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XBroker said:

I don't see how he'd have 20 years in if he left at 35. Often, when young,  people have gaps in their employment as well. If he hasn't applied, it's could very well be because he knows he does not qualify.

As an aside, I've donated (in the past) to ppl who I saw as down on their luck. I learned it will never satisfy the giver if they rely solely the later reactions of the recipient. I found it better  to give because it makes me feel better. Relying on their reaction or outcome often left me with regret, so I stopped even looking for it.  One particular year, I gave away turkeys to families around the holidays. Not 100's. A handful. In one family, the husband later murdered the wife.

It's all speculation of course but I agree it is unlikely that he paid in enough  NI to get a full pension.  I didn't and only get a relatively small amount in State pension.

As for donating to people who are having difficulties, I too have helped when I could.  However only when the help was get them to another stage when they could fend for themselves.  We have all heard the saying "give a man a fish...etc etc"

• Like 1

Just now, dunroaming said:

It's all speculation of course but I agree it is unlikely that he paid in enough  NI to get a full pension.  I didn't and only get a relatively small amount in State pension.

If living in the Uk it wouldn't matter, as Social security payments are higher than the state pension.

(They just deduct the state pension from your SS payments, makes little or no difference to your income)

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If living in the Uk it wouldn't matter, as Social security payments are higher than the state pension.

(They just deduct the state pension from your SS payments, makes little or no difference to your income)

That is correct.  My state pension is topped up by pension credit so I get the same amount as a full state pension. But from what I understand,  I am only eligible for that whilst living in the UK, as you say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

That is correct.  My state pension is topped up by pension credit so I get the same amount as a full state pension. But from what I understand,  I am only eligible for that whilst living in the UK, as you say.

And with a 10 year old child (and pretend 16hr/week job) he would be upped to a minimum guaranteed income of around 14k/year (child tax credit), housing benefit (2 bedroom housing), child allowance, disability allowance. Probably around 20k/year all in.

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

How can he obtain a visa and residence for wife and kid without financial backup. Have a look at British immigration rules.

Under the current rules he has to have an income of more than £18,600 just to get his wife to accompany him plus a further £2,600 for his child, assuming that the child is not registered with the UK embassy at birth and has dual nationality.

He will not be entitled to ANY free medical treatment and neither will his family. They will have to find a local council to get somewhere to live which will ,ost likely be a bed and breakfast place and they may have to stay away from there during the day.

With luck there will be some agencies to help but that help is limited.

In addition he will have to make sure that he, his wife and child all have passports before they apply for a visa and that his wife can pass the English language test AND get a visa. The cost of both are non refundable. He will then have to stump up the airfare too.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You believe wrong, no requirements for British children, different requirements for the wife of chronically sick people.

But that only applies IF the child was registered at the embassy and has a UK birth certificate.

AFAIR the requirements for a wife are the same no matter if the British husband is chronically sick or not.

I am quite happy to be proven wrong and I will apologise if anyone can post a link proving it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Total nonsense, why dont you hold your silly noise

Full Basic UK state pension is approx 160 quid

You're a bit late with that, it was clarified 55 posts ago (by me), so much for my silly noise!  The basic UK state pension is £159 per week.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

Sad and hear that not everyone living in Thailand has fun, but that's not my problem

What we read here can happen to everyone

but that does not mean we should help him or her family.

in my eyes there is a new way to beg, to be in Thailand.

Edited by Bangkokazy

55 minutes ago, XBroker said:

Gaps in employment are covered by signing on- that gives you NI contributions the same as working

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Me too, 

but to all those kind hearted souls out there sending him and other people they have never met and know little about lots of cash.... you can send me some also to help me out.  If you want I can make up a sad story for you.  

Did  your hamster  die recently? it's probably enuff:biggrin:

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But that only applies IF the child was registered at the embassy and has a UK birth certificate.

AFAIR the requirements for a wife are the same no matter if the British husband is chronically sick or not.

I am quite happy to be proven wrong and I will apologise if anyone can post a link proving it.

Well the law changes so I can only compare it to my experience some years ago.  The child will not have a UK birth certificate if they were born in Thailand but will be eligible for UK citizenship.  I got my son a British passport when I was in the UK on business  He was 4 years old and we were lucky in having a British doctor friend who did the declaration over knowing him since birth.  Obviously there was a cost to that.  Up until then my boy had a Thai passport.

When we moved to the UK there were a lot of hoops my wife had to jump through but no difficulty or cost for our son.  The original "leave to remain" visa came first and then when she was in the UK she had to do the "Living in the UK" test and also the "Spoken English Test".  Then depending on your bank balance and earnings a second "leave to remain" after two and a half years (cost was about £1,000) and then after five years an "indefinite leave to remain".  Having a child with a British Passport makes a big difference too.

I know it is now harder and some of the regulations have been tightened.  It isn't easy and you must make sure it is what your wife wants to do and not just you.  Life in the UK can be a tough call for a homesick wife.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Under the current rules he has to have an income of more than £18,600 just to get his wife to accompany him plus a further £2,600 for his child, assuming that the child is not registered with the UK embassy at birth and has dual nationality.

He will not be entitled to ANY free medical treatment and neither will his family. They will have to find a local council to get somewhere to live which will ,ost likely be a bed and breakfast place and they may have to stay away from there during the day.

With luck there will be some agencies to help but that help is limited.

In addition he will have to make sure that he, his wife and child all have passports before they apply for a visa and that his wife can pass the English language test AND get a visa. The cost of both are non refundable. He will then have to stump up the airfare too.

Or something like 60k sterling in a bank acc, I believe?

• Thanks 1