Honda HRV

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a Honda HRV when I move back to LOS in September. I will be base in Bangkok and use in on the weekends and holidays for travel with the family outside of Bangkok. During the week I will take a taxi to work most days.

What are people's opinions about the HRV? I have a budget of around 1,000,000 baht and want something that is practical, reliable, looks good and comfortable to drive.

I have thought about the Fortuner, CRV and Pajero, but they are a fair amount more.

Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated guys/girls.

Thanks JS

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i had one for 2 years. Traveled from one end  to the other of the country with it.. 

Comfortable, economical and very very spacious.  Go test drive it, you'll like it more than the competition at this price.

If you don't need space, the smaller cx3 might be more fun to drive though 

an other pro for the honda is that its way more luxurious.

• Like 1

i had one for 2 years. Traveled from one end  to the other of the country with it.. 

Comfortable, economical and very very spacious.  Go test drive it, you'll like it more than the competition at this price.

If you don't need space, the smaller cx3 might be more fun to drive though 

an other pro for the honda is that its way more luxurious.
Thanks Bearpolar, I appreciate the info. I know Honda engines are generally very reliable so feel comfortable with buying it.

JS

I own a 2016 HR-V EX-L NAVI AWD in the US. Overall it's a good vehicle but quite frankly we miss the 2009 Fit (Jazz) we traded in for it. Gas millage is considerably less in the HR-V and interior space is negligible for appearing to be a larger vehicle. Head room is much less and I only stand 5'9". FYI the HR-V is built on the Fit (Jazz wheel base). For the EX model with the premium sound it's not what the Fit was though it does have the hands free where the Fit didn't because of it's age. The HR-v does sit a bit higher so for flooded roads might be to your advantage. I will admit the AWD is too a definite advantage on slick roads and snow... not that you have to deal with that. One thing that bugs the crap out of me is my non gas pedal foot, being in america would be my left I like to fold back so it's at like a 90° angle, well the way they mounted the seat my heal hits the floor board in an uncomfortable manner especially on a long drive. Overall I have no major complaints however I really should have spent the little extra for the CRV, more space larger engine. Hope this helps.

David O.

I have owned a CRV for just over 12 years now, also had an Altis at the same time.  Love the CRV and whilst it is a little heavy on the juice, it is really comfortable to drive and the little fridge in the dash (which the new CRVs don't have) was great for the odd chocolate snack on long drives.  If you can up your outlay, would strongly recommend the CRV both for reliability and resale value.

54 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We have an 8yr old diesel automatic Fortuner and a 2 week old HRV. Nice car the HRV. Fortuner more comfortable to drive but HRV is a good buy.

I have had both and much prefer to drive the HRV, my Fortuner is only a few years old.

For around town (most of my driving) you can’t beat the HRV, great all-rounder, comfort, equipment (top model) economy and size.

i used to love honda,i buy 4 new honda in 8 years,but whit the last one a 2007 jazz the battery go bad just after the warranty was over 13 month and the dealer wont replace.they want to charge me a lot money for a new battery,so i desided to go to a battery shop and i find out by the owner of the shop who also buy a 2008 jazz that honda install very cheap battery on that car and every one who buy a honda jazz, i ont know about other model have the same probleme i used to love honda because of the quality and reliability but now i am very desapointed because honda cut corner to make more money,so my next car is not going to be a honda animore!

• Like 1

I had an HRV.....loved the car.  Very nice drive and economical.

Looked at other brands in the same price zone, nothing came close to the comfort and extras included with the Honda.

Had a Honda Jazz in NZ and a new one in the Philippines. Great wee car...I see the HRV as the next step up.

• Like 1

What don't you check out the Mazda CX5 to compare. It is manufactured in Japan and it is a well-put-together car. With Mazda, always get the petrol/gasoline version - there have been reports of problems with the high-pressure systems on the diezel.

I have one in a neighbouring country for over a year. Not a single issue. Where I live the roads are sometimes really bad and dusty but the CX5 handles everything well. Even the bodywork is fairly robust - had a few people scrape it in parking lots or once a motorbike hit it while it was parked on the side of the road. I have not repaired them but the scrapes still have not rusted.

• Like 1

We have a HRV. I love driving it. Plenty of room, good acceleration, and very comfortable.

My son is a wheel chair user and we can get his chair in easy.

I personally don't like Fortuners - a pick up with different coach work. Pajeros are big, if that's what you want.

We looked at many options and I was going to buy a CRV until we tried the HRV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

We have a HRV. I love driving it. Plenty of room, good acceleration, and very comfortable.

My son is a wheel chair user and we can get his chair in easy.

I personally don't like Fortuners - a pick up with different coach work. Pajeros are big, if that's what you want.

We looked at many options and I was going to buy a CRV until we tried the HRV. 

"I personally don't like Fortuners - a pick up with different coach work".

The Fortuner gets a thumbs-down because it's DNA is linked to the Vigo, but you like the HRV which is a Jazz with different coachwork?

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"I personally don't like Fortuners - a pick up with different coach work".

The Fortuner gets a thumbs-down because it's DNA is linked to the Vigo, but you like the HRV which is a Jazz with different coachwork?

The Fortuner drives like a pick up! And many buy them for the free lobotomy with each purchase of course! If I wanted a pick up I'd buy a Ford Ranger.

The Jazz, a car, was always raved about by pundits, rightly so, but not quite big enough for my family needs.

• Like 1

My main bugbear with Hondas in Thailand is the old technology ancient 1.8 and 2.0,2.4 engines they fob you off with in various models including HRV,although I believe the Civic has new 1.5 turbo engine which would be better if it were available in HRV(its not). That said,reliability etc is good so probably still the best option of you overlooked my initial point.

My partner and I have had our HR-V for about 2 years.  We absolutely love it.  Extremely versatile interior--no matter what we've bought we always manage to fit it into the car.  We've taken several driving trips around Thailand--the car performs and handles well with plenty of power and a comfortable interior.  We think the car is an ideal size--not too big or too small.    Have not had any mechanical problems.  Well worth a look at your price point

I bought an HRV exactly one year ago. No problems with it so far, just got the annual check up and everything was fine. 

I got the top model which only has the addition of a sun roof. It’s a nice, lengthy sunroof but I rarely use it. 

I dont like the road noise while driving. The audio system isn’t great and battles road noise while driving at any real speed. The interior is roomy- much more so than the Mazda counterpart which was very cramped in the driver’s seat. 

For a top of the line mode the amenities are lacking. No rear aircon, manual seat for front passenger, dated media console. I think these get better in the CRV but at quite a price increase. Also, the new CRVs have a very (to me) unsightly, bubble like rear window. 

With the caveats I mentioned I’d still recommend it for the size and nice exterior look. For the price range it is probably the best out there that I saw during my hunt last year. 

Bought mine at the Future Park Honda and have had good service from them, particularly the sales guy who still answers any questions my wife throws at him. Depending on your location I could give you contact info if needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the excellent replies everyone. I only put up the post yesterday and have already so many informative replies. It goes to show what an excellent forum this is!

As I am little concerned about flooding, I think I will go with the HRV rather the Altis when I come to LOS at the end of the summer.

• Like 1

I bought an HRV exactly one year ago. No problems with it so far, just got the annual check up and everything was fine. 

I got the top model which only has the addition of a sun roof. It’s a nice, lengthy sunroof but I rarely use it. 

I dont like the road noise while driving. The audio system isn’t great and battles road noise while driving at any real speed. The interior is roomy- much more so than the Mazda counterpart which was very cramped in the driver’s seat. 

For a top of the line mode the amenities are lacking. No rear aircon, manual seat for front passenger, dated media console. I think these get better in the CRV but at quite a price increase. Also, the new CRVs have a very (to me) unsightly, bubble like rear window. 

With the caveats I mentioned I’d still recommend it for the size and nice exterior look. For the price range it is probably the best out there that I saw during my hunt last year. 

Bought mine at the Future Park Honda and have had good service from them, particularly the sales guy who still answers any questions my wife throws at him. Depending on your location I could give you contact info if needed. 
Alaskan, I will be in touch when I am ready to buy it. Thank you.

In my opinion Honda make the most relaiable cars. I have one Accord and one JAzz today. My daughter drives the HRV and is very happy.

My old Accord I gave to my other daughter and it had 300.000 km after 7 years never any problems and it drove like new after 7 years

I have an HRV in Thailand....3 years now, love it.

Agree with all the positive comments.

Only negative I'd say....no onboard Satnav. For a million baht plus motor (with all the bling and extras) thats not the best but phone GPS saves the day.

Highly recommended IMHO.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The Fortuner drives like a pick up! And many buy them for the free lobotomy with each purchase of course! If I wanted a pick up I'd buy a Ford Ranger.

The Jazz, a car, was always raved about by pundits, rightly so, but not quite big enough for my family needs.

Talking nonsense about the Fortuner, or maybe you're trying to be funny? It's an excellent car which is why it's so popular! 

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We have an 8yr old diesel automatic Fortuner and a 2 week old HRV. Nice car the HRV. Fortuner more comfortable to drive but HRV is a good buy.

To clarify. I find it VERY comfortable to sit in the Fortuner and drive. The HRV though isn't comfortable,  as my left leg about half way up bangs on the side all the time against the gear console - on a long drive (which I haven't done yet) I think I will find it very irritating and uncomfortable. Also found it a bit uncomfortable in the passenger seat being tall.