Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years

rooster59

Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years

Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain was hit by its biggest earthquake in a decade on Saturday, the British Geological Survey (BGS) said on Saturday, with tremors felt across parts of Wales and southwest England but no notable damage reported.

The BGS said the quake was of magnitude 4.4, with an epicenter 20 km (12.5 miles) north of the Welsh city of Swansea, adding that it was the biggest quake in the Britain since 2008.

Earthquakes are not common in Britain and are rarely powerful. The 2008 quake in Market Rasen, north-east England, was magnitude 5.2 - 16 times more powerful than Saturday's quake.

However, Saturday's earthquake in Wales was felt as far away as Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight, over 200 km (125 miles) away.

Videos on social media showed people gathered outside Swansea University, which was holding an open day, after an apparent evacuation.

"Thank you to everyone who attended our visit day. We hoped that you had a surprisingly ‘earth moving’ experience!" Swansea University said on Twitter.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-18

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Let's see...

Global warming

Fracking

Brexit

Trump, May or Merkel

The Junta...

To blame or not to blame...  That is the question.

(With apologies to Bill Shakespeare)

Did you leave out Obama on purpose?

I laugh frequently after  reading USAT and  see  the morons posting about the cause of virtually everything being a case of either Obama or Trump's action.

But  on a serious note, I once read a USGS article pointing out there are only two  relatively  small  geographical areas in the USA that are not potentially subject to major earthquakes.    

Natural disasters of one sort or another are just a fact of life.

27 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Did you leave out Obama on purpose?

I laugh frequently after  reading USAT and  see  the morons posting about the cause of virtually everything being a case of either Obama or Trump's action.

In fact, I did.  After years and years of reading on TVF how Obama is the worst president in the history of the USA, it was refreshing to see the bile aimed at someone else.

Besides, if I mentioned any previous Presidents, I'd have had to go all the way back to TR, and maybe even GW.   Not GWB mind you, just plain GW.  Or at least, TJ for sending those guys to look for the Northwest Passage- and for buying that patch of useless land from Napoleon.  The world just hasn't been the same...

Edited by impulse

18 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I felt it yesterday whilst sat down watching TV in Bristol. First time I had expirienced a tremor. Felt like I was sat on top of a washing machine on spin cycle for a few seconds.  

A00C49F4-8DA5-4119-8903-21F9FC5490D8.jpeg.a09881ef07aaeb36d55493b6b0b2a9f6.jpeg

If you ever took the time to check out some of the earthquake  videos on YouTube, it would  probably make the hairs on your back stand up..    I've been through several of them and they don't get better with experience.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

If you ever took the time to check out some of the earthquake  videos on YouTube, it would  probably make the hairs on your back stand up..    I've been through several of them and they don't get better with experience.

Wait till you go through your first volcano. Now! that's quite an experience.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

To be completely honest .... my heart didn’t stop racing for a good 5 mins afterwards. I wouldn’t like to expirience a more serious event.