Thai Education Ministry joins with British Council for online English tests

webfact

Education Ministry joins with British Council for online English tests

By The Nation

40620e01f09bd6caca8c626e76cc14c6.png

Photo from: www.britishcouncil.or.th

The Office of Basic Education Commission and the British Council are preparing to launch an online English test system for Thailand.

The move followed Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin’s meeting with Professor Barry O’Sullivan, head of assessment research and development of the British Council London in the UK last Friday.

During the meeting, Teerakiat invited the British Council to serve as a consultant for Thailand’s plan to implement online English tests.

Teerakiat said he expected the plan to cover both formative and summative assessments. 

He added that he also hoped that the online system would be integrated into boot camps or intensive training for English teachers. 

The Education Ministry has planned online assessments for Prathom 3, Prathom 6, Mathayom 3 and Mathayom 6 students. 

The British Council London will inform the British Council Thailand of requirements needed for training Thai teachers who are in charge of teaching the English language. 

More discussions with the Education Ministry will follow to develop the online assessment system. 

It is likely that the system will focus on listening and reading first, before expanding to cover speaking and writing. 

The online assessments will be launched in February 2019. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339148

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-19

Laughing here the education minister was in London? Another junket trip? I dare this Minister to take the English Test Should be interesting. Then again they can make it easy for him to pass.Go something like this.  Fill in Gap   Snow white and the ------- dwarfs. Answer  1/  two dwarfs  2/  six dwarfs  3/ four dwarfs   4 /Seven dwarfs Now clue to help answer  Correct answer is  seven  oops to much information  Now can you read it back to me what you just wrote?  Minister answer is Huh not understand is that English?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It is likely that the system will focus on listening and reading first, before expanding to cover speaking and writing. 

Should it not be listening and speaking first so that the girls can get the orders correct, followed by writing so the check bin can be done, then reading. 

2 minutes ago, davehowden said:

Thais would be better off learning Chinese, the language of their new masters; rather than English; which would be useless when dealing with Americans anyway.

I like your comment about 'Chinese, the language of their new masters'. So true! The other week I was talking to a pretty high hi-so Thai, and in the middle of the conversation he suddenly insisted: 'I am not Thai. I am Chinese'. This surprised me (although it shouldn't have done). It brought home to me how the main rulers of this land, although nominally Thai, perhaps really do think of themselves as first and foremost Chinese ...

• Like 1

?????? The Brits aren't here to fix the system. Thais better catch a wake up.....and the NES nonsense is the biggest hoax ever played on the Asians. How a bunch of losers who couldn't land a job in Europe are of any use to Thailand boggles the mind. Met a "professor" who worked for the BC once. What a joke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wanderluster said:

thailand is really going to be in trouble if it gets the brits to help them with english.  the brits cant even speak the language themselves, they have totally destroyed the queens english.

Only 2% of the the British people speak the so called "queen's language". The language that the NES brigade pretends to teach. 98% of Brits speak in their local dialects and it's not English. 

• Like 1

Only 2% of the the British people speak the so called "queen's language". The language that the NES brigade pretends to teach. 98% of Brits speak in their local dialects and it's not English. 
What is a Brit please and what methodology did you use to reach that remarkable conclusion? Do you not realise that a substantial number of British people now follow Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

I taught my Thai/English daughter to be fluent in my native language almost entirely by using free or cheap as chips websites - including that of the British Council. There are loads of free English tests available, too, for all levels and ages.

Hopefully, one day soon all learning will be via home computers and digital technology and state state education  indoctrination systems will be consigned to the dustbin of history where they rightfully belong.

I wanted to teach my Thai step daughter also by Computer But ran into a snag She turned 17 found herself a b/f lost all interest in learning English Lets just say she has other interests now

2 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

?????? The Brits aren't here to fix the system. Thais better catch a wake up.....and the NES nonsense is the biggest hoax ever played on the Asians. How a bunch of losers who couldn't land a job in Europe are of any use to Thailand boggles the mind. Met a "professor" who worked for the BC once. What a joke. 

Dont worry the Thai Education Minister knows that to But hey what a great excuse to get a junket trip to England on Favourite Thai song  is " I'm leaving on a jet plane"

• Like 1

Online English Tests !

What a joke. If my girls homework from School is anything to go by, all the kids will have the correct answers in 2 minutes , and all from one particularly bright and intelligent student that has a massive following on facebook or Line due to their ability to get the answers correct.

6 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Laughing here the education minister was in London? Another junket trip? I dare this Minister to take the English Test Should be interesting. Then again they can make it easy for him to pass.Go something like this.  Fill in Gap   Snow white and the ------- dwarfs. Answer  1/  two dwarfs  2/  six dwarfs  3/ four dwarfs   4 /Seven dwarfs Now clue to help answer  Correct answer is  seven  oops to much information.

There was someone asked to enter a password eight characters long.

They wrote:  snow_white_and_the_seven_dwarfs