Briton, 67, arrested for robbery at luxury Bangkok hotel

webfact

23 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You mean as opposed to the German gentleman arrested for sexual relations with a pimped 15 year old; or the American gentlemen and Ladies done for graffiti and showing their butts off at a temple; or the American gentlemen who beat and stomped an Australian to death; or all those gentlemen Aussie bikers???

Crime, criminals, and scumbags aren't restricted to any nationality(s) but reports here always draw out the bigots, biased and racists.

Massive overreaction.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

Why was the 69yo picking up a 67yo?

He was not picking him up - the 67yrs accidently (or planned) met him in the lift and the 69yrs followed after him to his room...

READ - Travers told police that he was returning to his room on the 25th floor at 1am after drinking at the lobby bar on the ground floor and met Lane in the lift.

He said Lane walked after him and, after he had opened the door to his room, pushed him inside, tied his hands and covered his face with a mask.

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ttrd said:

He was not picking him up - the 67yrs accidently (or planned) met him in the lift and the 69yrs followed after him to his room...

READ - Travers told police that he was returning to his room on the 25th floor at 1am after drinking at the lobby bar on the ground floor and met Lane in the lift.

He said Lane walked after him and, after he had opened the door to his room, pushed him inside, tied his hands and covered his face with a mask.

Some people don't read  - just jump to conclusions!

On 2/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Is he on 39 years over stay I wonder ? and this his full time work to fund it ? 

If the Post is correct he is 67 Years Old now, and lived in Thailand for 40 years. So he was only 27 years old when he first moved here to stay. 

Not too many people I know who are only 27 years old and can already afford to Retire for 40 Years. So he either had a job here this long or?????

11 hours ago, ttrd said:

That was his story.

5 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

If the Post is correct he is 67 Years Old now, and lived in Thailand for 40 years. So he was only 27 years old when he first moved here to stay. 

Not too many people I know who are only 27 years old and can already afford to Retire for 40 Years. So he either had a job here this long or?????

Maybe he dyes his hair. Face is blurred so age hard to determine. Could be anywear from 40 to 70.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

agree .... even after 10 beers I still look who's watching when opening my hotel room door.  Did he chat with the thief and let him for a drink.

Friendly talk then a drink

Drug deal

Money swap

Gay

Who knows.

Where was the wife?

Unless he had 20 beers and had no idea of his surroundings the story doesn't add up.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, OJAS said:

Hmm, would not surprise me in the slightest to learn that the British Embassy were bending over backwards to provide Lane with all the "consular assistance" he may need, while leaving his British victim entirely to his own devices.

Absolutely! As victims of ruthless [British] criminals and outrageously corrupt Thai government agencies and courts that left my wife and I homeless and penniless - the British Embassy in BKK and Foreign Office in London, have not raised one finger to help us. Meanwhile, a lengthy and long-running list of criminals such as Tony Kenway, Laura Plummer et al have enjoyed unbridled support from British authorities.

We have written repeatedly to the British Foreign Office [and particularly the Foreign Secretary himself] to clarify exactly what their policy is in respect of British nationals facing difficulties overseas. We have asked this simple question for more than 3 years - and to date we have not had any response. However it seems blatantly obvious that the British FCO and Embassies consider criminals as the only worthy recipients of assistance and solace. 

This point was dramatically proven only a few days ago when the British government made representations to the Thai government that all British nationals currently imprisoned in Thailand be accorded their proper Human rights under International Law. Whilst I generally applaud this - I cannot fail to be astonished that the same moral attitudes shown to mostly self-serving drug-smugglers and vicious ruthless criminals are not equally and rightfully extended to the victims of crime. 

The British government should be ashamed. 

JustinFine! you could be more realistic ? that modus operandi : pushing into hotel room after the guest is quite popular,it happened many times in good hotels;some horny guys used to rape women in this way...It is very easy thing to do .Use your imagination if you have any..

This story does have the dodge factor.

Drugging him post robbery.

Nicking 400k of goods and then going after his ATM which would have had limited withdrawal capacity before being flagged.

This robbery just does not have the hallmarks of a career criminal and why would he take such a risk in a camera operated establishment. One  still piece of cctv seems a big odd too. 

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Argus Tuft said:

That was a quick Embassy critical post, totally unfounded and pure speculation that the Embassy is supposedly assisting the thief with consular assistance.

And what exactly is the consulate supposed to do for a victim of theft in this case?

Victim of crime in a foreign country, usual course of action is to go to the local police.

Amazes me the number of posts bashing the embassy, based on nothing more than emotion and speculation.

+Angus Tuft: The post was clearly rhetorical and not a little sarcastic - both factors you missed by a country mile. However, the post IS historically and empirically accurate - the British Foreign Office [and their Embassies] have an appalling record in assisting 'victims of crime' compared with providing immediate and extensive aid to ruthless criminals. My wife and I have personally suffered this shameful indifference demonstrated by the British FCO and I can promise you that your misinformed and insensitive comments cut no ice with us.

Furthermore, given Thailand's abjectly parlous justice system and the incredible levels of corruption not only in the RTP but other government agencies - even having conclusive evidence is no guarantee that Thai authorities will act to see that justice is done. In future, perhaps you should confine your opinions to topics you know something about. 

Edited by ScammedInThailand

4 hours ago, basatop said:

JustinFine! you could be more realistic ? that modus operandi : pushing into hotel room after the guest is quite popular,it happened many times in good hotels;some horny guys used to rape women in this way...It is very easy thing to do .Use your imagination if you have any..

Popular? You an expert on this?

Strange comments from you.

"Travers said a Panerai watch worth Bt200,000 and 19 other items, were taken with a total value of Bt440,781"

Clues right there. The guy was watching him wearing an expensive watch or had talks prior. Or bogus insurance claim.

440,000 in goods is a lot to be carrying.

2 hours ago, ScammedInThailand said:

+Angus Tuft: The post was clearly rhetorical and not a little sarcastic - both factors you missed by a country mile. However, the post IS historically and empirically accurate - the British Foreign Office [and their Embassies] have an appalling record in assisting 'victims of crime' compared with providing immediate and extensive aid to ruthless criminals. My wife and I have personally suffered this shameful indifference demonstrated by the British FCO and I can promise you that your misinformed and insensitive comments cut no ice with us.

Furthermore, given Thailand's abjectly parlous justice system and the incredible levels of corruption not only in the RTP but other government agencies - even having conclusive evidence is no guarantee that Thai authorities will act to see that justice is done. In future, perhaps you should confine your opinions to topics you know something about. 

Misinformed and insensitive comments? Oh please.

So according to you the post I replied to was both historically and "empiracally accurate?"

Look at the post I replied to please, and the context of my reply - victims of crime need to approach the law enforcement agencies of the country they are in first.

Kindly raise your personal rant in a different topic or forum thanks