Army chief admits Thai police cannot arrest Thaksin and Yingluck without the help of the Interpol

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army, Gen. Chalermchai Sittisart said on Monday that his trip to Singapore on Tuesday, which coincides with the reported plan of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to visit the city state, should not be interpreted as being any part of a covert meeting. 

"...should not be interpreted as being any part of a covert meeting..."

Good! They are finally going to talk, then. About time!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thian said:

Huh? So if the USA orders Interpol to arrest a serial killer on the run than they can't arrest him when he's seen passing a border? That's new for me.

Goos to learn new things.

The USA has no authority to "order" Interpol to do anything. No nation does.

And Interpol has no agents with arrest powers.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The army chief, General Chalermchai Sitthisart, said that, in order to arrest the two fugitives, there were several protocols that the Thai police would have to follow and some of them were beyond the capability of the Thai police

so he is running the police now ? we should be hearing quotes from them, not this guy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

"Capabilities of the RTP,", now that could well be my next read from the town library. It appears today that the  Police have more important cases to pursue, ie, the leopard's missing sex organ.

It's in the fiction section obviously. Or did I see it in Ripley's Believe It Or Not?

15 hours ago, Thian said:

Huh? So if the USA orders Interpol to arrest a serial killer on the run than they can't arrest him when he's seen passing a border? That's new for me.

No country can order Interpol to do anything. Agents and officers assigned to Interpol have no arrest authority. Any arrests must be made by local law enforcement agencies.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

So you think that the USA has the power to order Interpol to arrest someone, they dont, they can ask the country involved to detain the person and it would then be up to the country involved to act on any extradition request from the USA which may or may not be granted as has happened with the Lauri Love case in the UK

16 hours ago, Enoon said:

Interpol - Wikipedia

"Contrary to the way it is frequently portrayed in popular culture, Interpol is not a supranational law enforcement agency and has no agents who are able to make arrests."

I can confirm this. The most they can do is issue a Red Notice asking for them to be detained pending extradition. The detention would be done by the police of the country they were in, who would then ask the requesting country, to provide supporting evidence for extradition. Interpol simply act as a facilitator between the two countries’ police involved.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what idiocy; what in the world does the army commander in chief have to do with any of this ?

and it goes to the heart of thai thinking about other countries;

they don't;

thailand is quick to assert their own sovereignty but they seem to think that all other countries are thai provinces 

There was a military coup remember? They probably will never be able to get any country to arrest and put them on a plane back to Thailand as long as they don't openly engage in politics wherever they are.No country will send a disposed democratically elected leader back to a country ruled by an unelected junta that disposed them.

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What explanation was that ? The fact that the RTP can't just waltz into any country they like and arrest people ??

Right, like we needed that little fact explained to us :)

"The fact that the RTP can't just waltz into any country they like and arrest people??"

Yes, exactly that.  Quite a few, judging by some posts (yourself excluded obviously) do seem to think that the RTP (or Interpol!) can do that and that the Shins should be arrested as soon as they are spotted wherever they are.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Sorry, why is the army chief giving this explanation? 

Could it be because there is more than just a tenuous link between the Army and the Government and if he is seen in Singapore while the Shinawatras are there without any prior disclosure some observers might jump to the wrong conclusion about the purpose of his visit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Could it be because there is more than just a tenuous link between the Army and the Government and if he is seen in Singapore while the Shinawatras are there without any prior disclosure some observers might jump to the wrong conclusion about the purpose of his visit?

I thought the government elite 'were soldiers' but are now 'politicians'.There's always a link to any government and their army. The government is their boss (normally). 

If the army chief doesn't want people to think he's there to meet the Shins, maybe go a day or two later. Simples. Much like when something is "easy to explain", then you explain. <removed> 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a inflammatory comment
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Thian said:

Considering the fact that Interpol will still be sat in their office in France, no, they cannot arrest them.  What they do is issue notices to local authorities on behalf of the requesting country to make an arrest.

• Like 2

If Interpol suddenly changed the decision they made 10 years ago to not issue a warrant for his arrest?  And why would they do that?

“When INTERPOL publishes a Red Notice this is simply to inform all member countries that the person is wanted based on an arrest warrant or equivalent judicial decision issued by a country or an international tribunal. INTERPOL does not issue arrest warrants.”

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Interpol has no agents than can arrest. The organization functions as an administrative liaison among the law enforcement agencies of the member countries, providing communications and database assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Indeed. But the Thai police are too inept to communicate directly with either the law enforcement in a country that has an extradition treats or Interpol. Seems the diplomats can't either.

As my old mum used to say 'can't" is often confused with "don't want to really". :whistling:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

“When INTERPOL publishes a Red Notice this is simply to inform all member countries that the person is wanted based on an arrest warrant or equivalent judicial decision issued by a country or an international tribunal. INTERPOL does not issue arrest warrants.”

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great copy paste skills, I think we have already been through all this though, I meant to say why would they change their mind and issue a request for his arrest?

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. But the Thai police are too inept to communicate directly with either the law enforcement in a country that has an extradition treats or Interpol. Seems the diplomats can't either.

As my old mum used to say 'can't" is often confused with "don't want to really". :whistling:

They put in their requests to Interpol and they were refused.