How Much To Refurbish An 80 Sqm Condo

Hi,

I've found a condo to buy in the area I'm interested in. But the interior has been designed by the present owner, and let's say it's not a success. So of course it's cheaper than other condos in the same building, but I'm wondering if the price difference is big enough to buy.

So approximately how much would it cost to break all interior wall (hollow walls), put new ones, remove the floorboards and replace it with tiles, change the false ceiling...

Nothing luxuary, just comfortable.

Am I right in thinking I'd have to buy the materials and then find people to carry out the job?

I just did this. Obviously the price will depend on the scale and quality of work you want done. Mine was 115 sqm and I paid about 500k thb for my contractor to undertake a refurb that cost about 2m thb in total. As well as his charge, costs included new ceiling thruout, some new walls, new kitchen, built in furniture renovation, pvc windows to cut down noise and keep in air, new aircons, water heaters, new bathroom, spa, dishwasher, clothes washer-dryer, curtains, tv, etc. Apt cost 4.2 m thb, so total was about 6.2 m thb. I cld have bought an already refurbed slightly larger apt one floor below for about 7 m thb plus transfer costs, but decided it a better option to design to suit.

You're correct in assuming you buy the materials and a contractor carries out the work. I can refer you to mine if you're interested in getting a quote. His quality of work is good and he is an honest and pleasant person. PM me if you'd like his contact.

The costs there seem rather high. Im guessing that you have a lot of top end materials in there.

If you are in Bangkok, figure 12,000thb/sqm for renovations of the highest standard such as solid wood flooring, imported tiling and bathroom fittings etc etc. Materials and labour included.

For more info, PM me.

I just completed a 184 sq mt condo I did for an American guy in Sukhumvit Soi 24.

We`absolutely gutted the place and tripled the size of the kitchen and doubled the size of one bathroom. The cost worked out as my friend suggested about 12,000 baht per sq mt.

Much depends on the building you are buying in. You should find out what the top selling price is and add your costs to your purchace price. I would ecpect to be on the right side of the market before jumping in.

In Sukhumvit eg if you buy 80 sq mt for 50 baht per sq mt and add at least 10,000 baht you would be looking for top grade condos in thta building to be selling around 65,000.

In that way the problems you are about to encounter will be worth the hassle.

It is false economy to put in cheap laminate flooring...One it looks what it is..cheap and nasty and secondly the feel of the place is never right......when you come to selling you will get more than a few people walking out the door.especially if you want top dollar for it.

I would go for large tiles in the livingroom and hardwood floors in the bedrooms.

Built in furniture where possible is great for adding value but the most important factors are bathrooms and your kitchen.

It is a good idea to increase bathroom and kitchen size wherever possible. There is nothing mor difficult than trying to sell a condo with undersized ones.

Be careful if you require new air con........make sure you kno what you are signing.....a big store at Ploenchit hammer you for any channeling over a certain size, they won't raggle your piping into the wall and would happly run a plastic chanel from A to B across your livingroom wall without batting an eyelid

Anyone who tells you they will complete the job within say 6 weeks..double it..Thai workers start of great, then they start worrying about "what happens when I finish here?".......then the go slow sets in...then it's I have no money to get to work.......they are quite happy to dissapear without a trace if you don't handle the payments to them properly.........don't even think about penalties.......heard it, seen it, done it all before, threw away the T shirt......penalise them for not finsihing stage A at your peril......you be picking up the paint brush yourself if you do.

IF you want to save some money without making the place look cheap you should look at a painted doors skirtings facings etc., Ceiling are cheap and the higher you can get them the better.

I hope I haven't put you off but I have been renovating hear for a lot of years and I still can't say I have seen it all.

On a high note 80 sq mt normally work out cheaper per sq m than say a 200 sq mt. You should be able to get away with 9 to 10,000 baht and have a really nice condo to live in/sell in the future.

You need any further help feel free to drop me aline