Govt probes Pheu Thai over links to Yingluck and Thaksin

webfact

Govt probes Pheu Thai over links to Yingluck and Thaksin

By The Nation

1c0e1b5311809ac3ee483e8bfdc5677d.jpeg

THE GOVERNMENT is closely monitoring the moves of former prime ministers Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra regarding their reported meetings with Pheu Thai Party politicians in several Asian countries, a security source said yesterday.

Legal officials working for the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) have been instructed to determine whether those meetings constituted a violation of the Constitution, the source said.

The current charter, in effect since April last year, prohibits intervention by any outsider into a political party’s internal affairs. Violators – whether they are individuals or political parties –risk harsh punishment, including imprisonment, fines and party dissolution.

Certain key figures and politicians from Pheu Thai have reportedly met Thaksin and Yingluck in China, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore over the past week. The Shinawatra siblings have lived in exile overseas after escaping imprisonment at home.

They have no positions in the previously ruling party but have retained considerable influence among its politicians.

“Legal action must be taken. This should not be allowed to go on and on, or things will go out of control,” the source said.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who also heads the NCPO, had instructed the relevant authorities that “everything must be in line with the law”, according to the source. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30339329

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The current charter, in effect since April last year, prohibits intervention by any outsider into a political party’s internal affairs. Violators – whether they are individuals or political parties –risk harsh punishment, including imprisonment, fines and party dissolution.

o boy, that last part is troubling; wouldnt put it past the current bunch to make this one of their near-term goals

15 minutes ago, JAG said:

I think that dissolving Pheu Thai and an associated"ban from politics" for all it's key members is inevitable, and has always been on "the roadmap". The timing however is critical, it must be done close enough to any planned election to prevent any "phoenix rising from the ashes". If the junta gets it right they will effectively disenfranchise huge swathes of the electorate. The Shinawatras will understand this. Maybe they are trying to force the Junta to act too soon?

Banning the opposition prior to "democratic elections" is a classic authoritarian regime tactic, and obviously will bring yet more opprobrium to the junta, internationally (which they neither care about nor understand) and domestically. Put bluntly, it will screw down the lid on the pressure cooker a bit more...

The election commission had ample grounds to disband PTP after the 2011 election, action not taken because of the very real threat of political violence. The junta could have acted on those same grounds at any time, but it appears that they are not as keen on political violence as some TVF members.

3 minutes ago, Becker said:

Well, well, well. The old junta apologist is still around. Good to see that although your admiration for the junta has waned (?) your hatred for the bogeyman is very much alive.

Because as we all know corruption and nepotism started in Thailand with Thaksin...:coffee1:

And the old Thaksin apologist continues to deflect away from his crimes with ridiculous claims. There may well have been worse than Thaksin in the past, I am concerned with the problems of my time in Thailand, and he wins my vote for criminal of that time.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JAG said:

Banning the opposition prior to "democratic elections" is a classic authoritarian regime tactic,

Most recently utilized by Hun Sen...seasoned with a bit of lese majeste...

Cambodia's main opposition party dissolved by Supreme Court

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Cambodia’s highest court dissolved the main opposition party on Thursday, leaving authoritarian Prime Minister Hun Sen clear to extend more than three decades of power in next year’s election as rights groups decried the death of democracy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cambodia-politics/cambodias-main-opposition-party-dissolved-by-supreme-court-idUSKBN1DG1BO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, halloween said:

No, but allowing criminals to buy influence in a political party is, and not only in Thailand.

Even other asean countries don't believe in Thai justice system. How can they allow the shins to travel freely there. They believe that all is just political...

46 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Got me scratching; what is the legal definition of intervention. I heard of intervention in a lawsuit or undue influence but how is intervention in this manner legally interpreted. Really like a trap door to be interpreted in ways that suit the hidden powers. The junta is really scared stiff of Thaksin and Yingluck with unclear laws meant to curb their immense popularity but the reverse is happening making both of them even more appealing than the corrupt inept junta. 

Eric,

Seems to me quite logical to block outsider influences from political parties, I can't believe they did not outlaw this before like in other democratic countries. This way now Thaksin connection is a risk for the PTP. Maybe they will finally have to break free from Thaksin (forced) Might be a good thing (not for Thaksin) but for Thailand.

I think skype phone meetings and other meetings like Thaksin telling what candidate to vote for PM are intervention ... so bye bye PTP or do a clean break with Thaksin.

2 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

are you suggesting banning lobbyists?

If convicted criminals.. why not. 

Do you think its a good thing the Russians influenced the US elections.. that is outside influence too

As for lobbyists we don't have those (not like the US) in my country and i think its a good thing. Does not mean politics are totally free of influences of course that would be naive to think.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

If convicted criminals.. why not. 

Do you think its a good thing the Russians influenced the US elections.. that is outside influence too

As for lobbyists we don't have those (not like the US) in my country and i think its a good thing. Does not mean politics are totally free of influences of course that would be naive to think.

What about the military influencing parties to form Ahbisit government. Or Dem being influence by military. Like I say, it’s a can of worm and a trapdoor. 

No lobbyists. That is quite a stretch of imagination Rob. 

• Like 1