Shopping at the fresh market?

OneMoreFarang

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Please where to buy Jalapeños? I even tried growing my own with no luck

royal shop in chinatown, bkk, and royal shop basement floor udon central plaza so try any royal shop near you, and also from rimping supermarket in vientiane same packaging

Edited by Wang Lalker
  • Thanks 1

For the very reason, you cite (sun and heat) I would never buy any meat from the open markets. I only buy refrigerated meats

This is just me My wife who is Thai would never buy the meats in the open market as well Too many flies and heat

On 4/12/2018 at 1:22 PM, dotpoom said:

What's with the "meet"... I overlooked it in the OP's post but then seen it in replies so felt the need to correct it....it's spelt..... " meat".

Oh, yes, yes, call out the Firing Squad !

On 2/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your post.

No, I don't expect everything to be packed in plastic. And Thailand is just fine for me, I live here since two decades.

I am not an experienced buyer but I like to learn.

My point is that I think meet should be cooled. Some of the meet "on ice" in the fresh market is high up on that ice and sometimes in direct sunlight. I am concerned that meet maybe get's "too" hot. I know in other countries people think it's important that the meet (and milk, etc.) never gets too hot. Like out of the fridge, out in the heat, in the fridge again, is a bad idea - at least if the product is for too long out of the fridge.

And the problem with dirt should be obvious: If something dirty falls on the meet it might be full of bacteria. And the bacteria are transferred to the meet. Just cleaning it won't remove the bacteria. I guess with BBQ well done that is not so much a problem. But i.e. with a half raw steak I don't want too many of the wrong bacteria in that beef when I eat it.

Maybe many Thais have just a good immune system and they can handle this. Maybe I am too careful, this is why I ask here about other peoples experience.

When I go to the market I often "meet" nice Thai ladies who are buying "meat".(you understand don't you the spelling).

I probably got another 10 to 15 years before I say good bye to everybody so a year ago I decided to save my soul, I became a vegetarian and do some meditation.

I eat a lot of plant foods so I don't harm any living things and do contemplation on death. I want to go prepared "inside out" - clean out my system of toxic from meat and clear my mind so it can be calm & clear when it is time to go.(not pissing and shitting all over the place)

Just like Bob Dylan(1970s) singing, "all my bags are packed, ready to go, the taxi is blowing its horn, oh, how I hate to wake you up to say goodbye, I am leaving on a jet plane, wouldn't be coming back again".

By the way don't bother with meat it will save you lots of time and illness.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

I want to go prepared "inside out" - clean out my system of toxic from meat and clear my mind so it can be calm & clear when it is time to go.

Wow! I don't remember who said it but someone mentioned some time ago that he likes to die with a wine glass in one hand and a pretty girl in the other. I have to admit I like that a lot more than your clean version. Why cares how clean you are burried in your grave?

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2018 at 1:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your post.

No, I don't expect everything to be packed in plastic. And Thailand is just fine for me, I live here since two decades.

My point is that I think meet should be cooled. Some of the meet "on ice" in the fresh market is high up on that ice and sometimes in direct sunlight. I am concerned that meet maybe get's "too" hot. I know in other countries people think it's important that the meet (and milk, etc.) never gets too hot. Like out of the fridge, out in the heat, in the fridge again, is a bad idea - at least if the product is for too long out of the fridge.

And the problem with dirt should be obvious: If something dirty falls on the meet it might be full of bacteria. And the bacteria are transferred to the meet. Just cleaning it won't remove the bacteria. I guess with BBQ well done that is not so much a problem. But i.e. with a half raw steak I don't want too many of the wrong bacteria in that beef when I eat it.

Maybe many Thais have just a good immune system and they can handle this. Maybe I am too careful, this is why I ask here about other peoples experience.

I lived in Siem Reap/Cambodia for a number of years. In the late Nineties there was only a disgustingly dirty fresh market to get meat, veg, fruit. Most came from Thailand. Sometimes a locally raised  old buffalo was sold as beef.  We never got sick, all got well cooked. What I couldn't cook or peel, I didn't buy. 

Klongtoey is hygienic in comparison to S.R. Old Market.

This thread shows how much lack of food safety knowledge there is even among westerners.   

The danger zone for meat is between 40-140 degrees f or is it 160? 

I have been told to buy your meat early in the morning.   

Not sure about why refreezing meat is dangerous?   I try not to do it.   I thaw my meat out slowly for 24-36 hours in 36 f fridge.   I always use an instant read thermopen to cook my usually wild game to 165 f.  

Yes meat plants and even most if not all butcher shops in the  USA butcher in cooled rooms.  And health inspectors really watch the gloved hands for touching money then food again.    What about the vendors on the beach who you watch for 4 hours and finally they sell some chicken that's sat  in the sun and they reheat it for a few minutes.  Or the little food carts with the non refrigerator glass boxes  with all the colored and plain hot dog things?

It all the flies on sun drying fish or banana chips with no screen cover?

It's amazing I don't get sick more often.   I seem to get a sick stomach about once a month.    I did get worst case sick once, it was a complete cleanse that began   5 hours after swimming in a lake far from civilized towns.  I did swallow a teaspoon of water on one breath.  

Edited by Elkski
Spelling

On 4/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Wow! I don't remember who said it but someone mentioned some time ago that he likes to die with a wine glass in one hand and a pretty girl in the other. I have to admit I like that a lot more than your clean version. Why cares how clean you are burried in your grave?

When you are clean inside it helps the mind to be in a good state.  A wine glass in one hand and a pretty girl will not be good because it creates a false sense of happiness and the mind will be misled and confused towards the end bit. when you are 75 or 80 wine and pretty girl don't do much good anymore you really need a calm mind and a good mental guide from your Buddhist training to get you on a smooth path. Good day mate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, madusa said:

When you are clean inside it helps the mind to be in a good state.  A wine glass in one hand and a pretty girl will not be good because it creates a false sense of happiness and the mind will be misled and confused towards the end bit. when you are 75 or 80 wine and pretty girl don't do much good anymore you really need a calm mind and a good mental guide from your Buddhist training to get you on a smooth path. Good day mate.

When your dead, your dead, and you ain't coming back,the most

anyone can wish for ,is when the time comes,its quick and painless.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

When your dead, your dead, and you ain't coming back,the most

anyone can wish for ,is when the time comes,its quick and painless.

regards worgeordie

Bit of mix up here. Of course you re not coming back....what i said earlier was preparing for the journey to the underworld. Depends on how you die, if you are sick (not in great deal of pain) and going to die then all the mental preparation help to ease your embarkation on this wonderful journey. But if you are sick and in great deal of pain then too bad can't help much other than pain killers or morphine.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Jesus, you must live in a confused fantasy world.

No, I don't live in a confused fantasy world. I am 67 not a lot of

time left is there? I still go to the gym doing only 40 kilos for deadlift a far cry from when you were 25. (Deadlift -you just lift it up and put in down but not overhead). I do weight resistant exercises to avoid muscular pain. Yes, you get muscular pain if you don't exercise the muslce.

I have always been preoccupied with death. I want to die in beautiful way, painless and in a state of calm mind. Could I do that?

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Jesus, you must live in a confused fantasy world.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:59 PM, Russell17au said:

There is another thing and that is at Tesco Lotus and at Big C all the pork arrives already cut and it has been frozen, so if you buy from them then you cannot put the meat in the freezer because you cannot refreeze uncooked meat or you will give everybody food poisoning from the bacteria

Umm, we have been buying meat from Big-C and freezing it for the last 10 years, no one in the family got poisoned.

1 hour ago, madusa said:

I want to die in beautiful way, painless and in a state of calm mind. Could I do that?

I couldn't do that while actively participating in this forum :-) :signthaivisa:

Edited by HidyHo

On 2/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your post.

cook food thoroughly 

7 minutes ago, madusa said:

why is it that we never dream we die and what happen after that. Strange isn't it?

Do you know that this thread is supposed to be about Shopping at the fresh market?

Maybe you should try the following to talk about your fantasy:

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know that this thread is supposed to be about Shopping at the fresh market?

Maybe you should try the following to talk about your fantasy:

Is this all about buying fresh meat in fresh market you said? Being a vegetarian I only buy my fresh meat in Pattaya where the meat are young and tender you know what I mean? Some of these triangular shaped meat have lots of hairs on them remind me of the wild boars whiskers. Have you ever gone wild boar hunting what's your name again? Oh no now we are deviating on to wild boar hunting.

This beautiful picture you had on - is that guy due to give birth soon? A baby coming erh?

Edited by madusa
add more words
  • Sad 1