Visa credit cards now accepted at all 7-11 outlets

Jonathan Fairfield

Visa credit cards now accepted at all 7-11 outlets

076e5c943115544377c74e6bc73a1afd.jpeg

All 7-Eleven convenience stores nationwide now accept Visa credit-card payments.

The announcement comes as the Bank of Thailand plans to allow commercial banks to set up banking agents in order to provide financial-service points that are closer to people’s homes than branch operations.  

Many observers speculate that 7-Eleven has the potential to be a banking agent providing financial transactions such as deposit and withdrawal services, as well as small-amount payment services for retail – or individual – customers.

Suripong Tantiyanon, country manager of Visa Thailand, in a statement on Tuesday described the partnership between Visa, Thai Smart Card and 7-Eleven as “an important chapter in the digital transformation of commerce in Thailand”.

The Visa payment programme was first piloted in the Kingdom last year in selected 7-Eleven stores with high tourist traffic, and has since gradually branched out across the country, according to Visa Thailand’s office.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339343

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-21

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Visa payment programme was first piloted in the Kingdom last year in selected 7-Eleven stores with high tourist traffic

I remember there was a minimum purchase of 300 Baht for CC payment (also signs in some shops).

No mention here.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I remember there was a minimum purchase of 300 Baht for CC payment (also signs in some shops).

No mention here.

It used to be the case, but I think since a couple of years that has been dropped. I often pay 150-200B bills with my Bangkok Bank Visa. I cannot claim this is true everywhere, but I don't remember objections so far. Sign in, yes almost always.

If 7-11 would finally accept cards it would be great, so annoying to collect those baht and satang coins.

16 hours ago, carstenp said:

That will be great. Maybe i can pay my bills with my visa card now. Before i only got the answer Cash only :smile:

Thumps up

I agree

2 hours ago, coulson said:

Still with 3% charges? Hmm, no thanks.

I missed that in the article.

1 hour ago, ebonykap said:

I wonder, does that include foreign 

Visa Debit cards?

That would be great if it included foreign debit cards.  Many other merchants take them, so I am hopeful it will trickle down to 7-11.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No mention here.

When I first arrived 3 years ago I was told the min purchase was ฿500. There is a Tesco Lotus Express next door and they accept Visa or MasterCard for any purchase. I only stop at 7/11 when out n about while carrying cash or when Lotus is out of stock of something (which is often). 

I have been paying my TRUE bills directly from their application using my Krungsri Visa Debit card with no extra fee. It does not accept my US Mastercard. I used to have to pay in person at a corporate store. 

As far as  3% transaction fee some poster mentioned I believe that is charged by the bank. I used to be charged a foreign transaction fee by Citibank but I switched to a "Priority" account meaning I maintain $15,000 balance OR pay a $30 monthly service charge. My total foreign transaction fees were over $50 a month, so it was a good deal for me. Plus sometimes I seem to get a small break on exchange rates. 

• 4 weeks later...
What charge do you refer to?
I didn't find a reference to that so far.
There is no 3% charge by 711 in Thailand. I assume you refer to Foriegn Transaction Fee on your Card which is customarily 3%.

Try choose a card with no Foriegn Transaction Fee as example in USA we have Capitalone Bank, that does not have it plus the bank gives you 1.5% Cash Back.

Foriegn Visa Debit Cards always have a Foriegn Transaction Fee.

I have a 711 in the bottom of my building. They accept Credit cards from March 2018 but with minimum order at 300 Baht.

Be careful to look at your Card Logo. MasterCard is yet not accepted in 711.

I hope my information helps all my foriegn friends as it is current first hand information, and status might in due course change.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app