squirrel trapping

surfdog

Have been in farming for many years but never with coconuts.

Your post was interesting to read, had never considered squirrels a pest in this way before.

Although the traps don't work on a wall with the delicacies you mentioned, is it possible to place the trap on the trunk of the tree with coconut to eat ?    Of course I have no idea if the squirrels could be jumping from tree to tree.    

A few more off the wall ideas;- a reversed plastic cone or even a plastic tube ( cover about 60cm of the trunk and about 2mtr off the ground ), placed up the tree big enough and slippery enough that the squirrel can't grip to climb further.   Strings of strong smelling moth balls placed at various heights, even near the fruits.      Tin foil strips etc.

Good luck.

Are you sure it is squirrel's, my misses has said  a few times that we have had rats in our coconut trees, thay will eat the nuts ,and make nests in the tree .

As speedo1968said baffle plates around the trees should stop them climbing up the tree .

Try maize grains in the rat traps as bait.

I have seen lots of squirrels, they are quite loud. It could be rats... That would be disgusting, but confusing, as the rats would want to eat my tomatoes I think. Surprisingly no insects or animals are touching my tomatoes for now.

I’m afraid about rats now!! going to trap in thr crown of the tree.

The squirrels can jump to the coconut trees from the forest nearby, and the coconut tree closest to there is the one getting eaten. Rats would likely want coconuts from trees closer to the sewer drains? have spotted rats there before on the other side of the property but been a while.

These are mapraow nam hoom coconuts, too small for a rats nest maybe?

Whatever is eating them gnaws out the outer shell in one spot when very young, then they come back and finish the job once thet have sweetened up. Very smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

what have here is “garok” which pretty sure is a squirrel. also have seen flying squirrels here before but not lately. Seen squirrels in the coconut trees all
the time, they don’t climb from the bottom the jump from surrounding trees.

I’ll lay out the trap in the crown, lost the pin to the trap...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 23/02/2018 at 9:17 AM, Arjen said:

We have a lot of coconuts, and quite a lot of squirrels. I have never seen a squirrel eating (climbing) the very tall coconut trees. our low coconut trees are sometimes used by rats to feed. In that case we find under the tree a few coconuts with a hole in it. According my wife these are even not "normal" rats, but an animal what they call in Thai "rat?" Now  am thinking, maybe they call here (local?) a squirrel also rat? 

Arjen.

In Thai a rat is Noo the white squirrels as has been said are Ga-Lock the brown squirrels are Ga-Tair , but in Thai hamsters are also known as  Noo,(will not be them ).

Wife said squirrels, their teeth are shaper rats, thay are nocturnal as well as day time unless you have both rats and squirrels.

Sister in law has some mango trees ,and the squirrels  have had a lot of her mango's ,and they were not a sweet verity ,so they are  not fussy in what they eat 

• Thanks 1