British Embassy gets involved with Thai driving licences

MrMuddle

According to the link (below), the British Embassy is getting involved with driving licences, issued to British citizens in Thailand.

I expect that this will shortly involve a trip to the Embassy, for
a) some idiotic form or another, and
B) to enable applicants to pay a fee to the Embassy for something they didn't need in the first place.

Perhaps I'm being cynical here, but I've never found the Embassy to be of any use, whatsoever.

The last time I renewed my licence here, I watched a video with English subtitles, as part of the renewal. I don't see any need for the Embassy to stick their oars in.

Link :
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/department-of-land-transport-in-partnership-with-british-embassy-bangkok-improving-driving-licence-procedures-for-foreign-nationals

• Like 1

It sounds to me like thay're building a list of people. I should renew my 5 year license before this nonsense becomes active.

The test we have to pass in the UK/Europe would leave many Thais unable to drive for all of their lives.

• Like 2

The last time I renewed my Thai licence I was made to watch a video. It involved a man who drove fast and was aggressive, pressing his horn all the time. At the end he pressed his horn at a man who then shot a gun at him. The video was in Thai with no subtitles. From what I understood of the video it was trying to make people drive with more respect to others, or face being shot.

If the UK embassy is trying to supply its citizens with a video that helps them when driving in Thailand, then that is not a bad idea.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

It sounds to me like thay're building a list of people. I should renew my 5 year license before this nonsense becomes active.

The test we have to pass in the UK/Europe would leave many Thais unable to drive for all of their lives.

I don't know if they will let you renew your licence until its within 90 days of expiry date 

That's what they told me anyway in bkk

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Thailand, as we all know, has an appalling road safety record.

Pity that the Embassy appear unable to impress this fact on their HMPO colleagues in the context of the 2 enforced trips we're required to make to Bangkok at passport renewal time.

15 hours ago, mick220675 said:

The last time I renewed my Thai licence I was made to watch a video. It involved a man who drove fast and was aggressive, pressing his horn all the time. At the end he pressed his horn at a man who then shot a gun at him. The video was in Thai with no subtitles. From what I understood of the video it was trying to make people drive with more respect to others, or face being shot.

If the UK embassy is trying to supply its citizens with a video that helps them when driving in Thailand, then that is not a bad idea.

Nice twist