Why do plugs flash and crackle in Thailand?

johnray

14 minutes ago, johnray said:

I have always wondered why the flash and sometimes crack when putting the plug in.

Because there is 'lectricity' in the wires ?

Really in most cases that immediate blue spark is normal as electrons jump from the house wiring to appliance. You can alleviate it by turning off the device switch before plugging in if possible.

• Like 2

My plugs, all of which are in Thailand, don't flash or crackle when inserting them in the socket. 

16 hours ago, johnray said:

Even in modern condos and schools.

In how many condos and schools have you tested your thesis before reaching this conclusion?  Maybe you need to reassess your methodology.

plug.jpg.8ed97eee04e2168406c433651f2ecb72.jpg

• Like 1

Thai wiring in most native homes are dangerous with ill fitting plugs of different types, they do t seem to grasp the idea that electric supply done right can be a simple process but instead continue to make many different plug formats that are stupid at best, no uniformity whatsoever , most goods don’t have a earth and recently I bought a new extension 20mtr lead what looked like uk type only to find that when I unboxed it the “plug end” only had a 2 prong same as a shaver plug- crazy

I didn’t buy the one in pic for the obvious stupid reasons - the mind boggles lol

IMG_3323.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Even "back home" (UK) if you plug into an outlet that's turned on you get a "splat". 

Notorious for me is the AC adapter of the laptop.

No different whether in Thailand or elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, fabphil said:

because the  electricians, do they really know what there doing ?,  why is there no earth wire ?  so many times i get tingles from electric appliances, even thru the the tv anntena is there ever any inspections/tests done by the electric company prior to switching power on, one wonders  :stoner:

Don't worry. With those tingles you'll realise to be still alive 

18 hours ago, tonray said:

Because there is 'lectricity' in the wires ?

Really in most cases that immediate blue spark is normal as electrons jump from the house wiring to appliance. You can alleviate it by turning off the device switch before plugging in if possible.

How long you been here,ever noticed there's only two wires------ no earth !!!!!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, johnray said:

I have always wondered why the flash and sometimes crack when putting the plug in.

Simple answer, poor quality plugs and/or sockets not making proper electrical contact.

Replace your cheap wall sockets, cut off any replace all the cheap 2 pin plugs.

The problem will be gone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Wall sockets in Australia have switches on them. You normally plug in an appliance when the wall switch is off, and then turn it on. This avoids the jump.

Wall sockets in Thailand mostly don't have on/off switches.

Almost all rooms have a breaker box if you want to play it that way.

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

My plugs, all of which are in Thailand, don't flash or crackle when inserting them in the socket. 

In how many condos and schools have you tested your thesis before reaching this conclusion?  Maybe you need to reassess your methodology.

plug.jpg.8ed97eee04e2168406c433651f2ecb72.jpg

can i use that as my profile pic? 

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

Cheapest possible electrical sockets are used in most builds, try upgrading to Panasonic or some other brand with a bit more quality.

I replaced all my light switches last week, not because they failed, but because the plastic went yellow after 4 years.

(Vena, replaced by Chang)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fabphil said:

because the  electricians, do they really know what there doing ?,  why is there no earth wire ?  so many times i get tingles from electric appliances, even thru the the tv anntena is there ever any inspections/tests done by the electric company prior to switching power on, one wonders  :stoner:

nope

8 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I replaced all my light switches last week, not because they failed, but because the plastic went yellow after 4 years.

(Vena, replaced by Chang)

We are installing Panasonic light switches, and Chang lighted light switches. A step up in quality and the cost is not very significant.

15 hours ago, oilinki said:

I wonder if the greater air humidity contributes to the spark length and therefore how visible /noisy the sparks are here?

I think the reason is the round terminals on the plugs. I don't notice sparking on flat terminals /w ground. I've noticed that the round terminals fit, is loose and the outlets don't grip them well.

10 hours ago, tonray said:

Every room I have ever rented has its own breaker box.

"you rent a room" not a multi roomed house or apartment.

You get one box, other larger places can have more. My house had about 4 when I bought it it now has 16 although 4 are not presently used.

38 minutes ago, Keesters said:

"you rent a room" not a multi roomed house or apartment.

You get one box, other larger places can have more. My house had about 4 when I bought it it now has 16 although 4 are not presently used.

Whatever you say.... You must be correct. 

• Like 1