conduiting fish wire - where in Bangkok

ETatBKK

hi there

I need to wire two ethernet cables through 15m of existing conducts ( x2 L bends ) from upper floor to ground floor.  could not find 'fish wire' in HomePro or else.  my questions :

- where I could find 'fish wire' in Bangkok ?

- if not, what are the local tricks for wiring conduit ?

thanks and cheers

Another option would be to have a 'pull string'. 

Just tape up a vacuum hose to one side, then tie a sturdy string to something that can be vacuumed through the pipe (waded up paper, small lightweight fabric, whatever). Once the pull string has been successfully deployed, do your staggered cable pulls through the conduit.

Two Ethernet cables might be pushing your luck (depending on the diameter of the pipe and the 'sweep' of the 'L' bends). If the cables belong to the same network, think about pulling one cable and placing a powered 'ethernet switch' on the other end to then distribute single cables where they need to go.   

• Like 2

That I like @RichCor, the opposite of the "blown fibre" technique used for comms systems.

A cotton wool ball and a length of fishing trace will easily go round the bends, pull something bigger with the fishing trace and pull the cables (and another drawstring) with that.

thanks everyone, at least I could find it then !

there are few options are nylon fish wire; are they better and more easy to go through the conduit ?  I saw other wiring a conduit, never do it by myself.

RichCor, TWO ethernet cables, just for redundancy.  it happened to me once a single cable went wrong after time, and have to wire it again.

I saw the vacuum trick on the youtube, yet may not be easy in my case since the conduit is already in the wall.  thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, ETatBKK said:

I saw the vacuum trick on the youtube, yet may not be easy in my case since the conduit is already in the wall.  thanks anyway.

Having in-wall conduit with tight bends is the whole reason for doing it. Either use an air compressor or a vacuum make placing a light-weight string end-to-end dead simple. Then tied the string to a sturdier pull cord that can handle pulling your Ethernet Cables through.  It's a LOT easier and faster process, at least for me, than the wire fish.

While I understand your desire for redundancy, if an Ethernet cable is in conduit and not being moved around it shouldn't have reason to fail. Though man-handling two Ethernet cables in a conduit might create issues given the type of exertion pulling two of them through tight bends will create. Just don't tug too hard.

Cabled Ethernet probably beats installing "Powerline" Ethernet over AC bridge adapters or WiFi repeaters.

thanks mates !  the lubricant is a good idea too, since I have no idea how sharp turns in the wall !

Richcor, both ends of the conduit difficult for locating a vacuum cleaner there; otherwise this is the first method to try !  I already run a wifi repeater at the lower floor, but the 802.11 AC signal has a narrow beam and doesn't turn to the repeater.  that's why I better run an ethernet wire to the lower floor then plug a wifi repeater on it, a complete solution !  thanks . . .

thanks mates !  the lubricant is a good idea too, since I have no idea how sharp turns in the wall !

Richcor, both ends of the conduit difficult for locating a vacuum cleaner there; otherwise this is the first method to try !  I already run a wifi repeater at the lower floor, but the 802.11 AC signal has a narrow beam and doesn't turn to the repeater.  that's why I better run an ethernet wire to the lower floor then plug a wifi repeater on it, a complete solution !  thanks . . .

Silly question, are you pulling through with the rj45 plug terminated?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1