Mont Clair Red WIne

SkyRider

Mont Clair Red Celebration Wine - boxes, no longer available.  Why?  

I was buying the 10 liters box, for 1499 baht. But I haven't seen it stocked for at least a month now.

I also can't even find the 5 liters box, for 969 baht anymore.

I still see the bottles, but it's more expensive to buy the bottles, and also doesn't keep as well. 

For a decent tasting red wine, I think it was the best value for wine in Thailand.  That option, at least in the boxes, seems to be gone now.  

Does anyone know why, Mont Clair red wine in boxes, is no longer on the shelves?

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SkyRider said:

Thank you for the informative links.  Apparently,  my costs are going to go up, because the lower priced box wines, are either going to dramatically increase in price, or not be available at all. 

Yeah, no doubt about it, things are changing.

I suspect what we're seeing right now is the disposal of existing warehoused stock. What comes next is anyones guess....

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yeah, no doubt about it, things are changing.

I suspect what we're seeing right now is the disposal of existing warehoused stock. What comes next is anyones guess....

My guess is more tax hikes, hiding behind the "drinking is bad for you" mask.

Was recently in makro and spoke to a lady there who was filling wine-stock and was well informed about this situation. According to her, once the montclair stock runs out, the 5 liter packs (now sold there for 988thb) go up around 500thb per pack. The red brookford wine, which i usually buy was totally outofstock and according to her the next delivery was at least a month away... which means their prices will be also upward. Dark times ahead...

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

Diddums. Going to have to pay more. Like fags make it all $100 a packet or box. Get a life you all drink too much. Give your livers a rest

Oh dear, oh dear,  such a generalisation.  Is this directed at all TV posters?  If it is I find that your attitude is extreme to say the least.

I will continue to enjoy my fags and have a drink with my many friends of all nationalities.  Thankfully I will never be in a position to meet someone like you.

BTW - what dollars are you talking about?  Singaporean, Aussie or US?  Sorry to anyone whose currency is the dollar and I have missed it out.

3 hours ago, helloagain said:

Diddums. Going to have to pay more. Like fags make it all $100 a packet or box. Get a life you all drink too much. Give your livers a rest

Odd comment, wonder what prompted you to open the thread knowing is was about wine?  Try Saudi.

35 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Big droughts and water shortages in S. Africa so I hear. Isn't that where the grape fruit concentrate to make the Mont Clair so-called wine comes from?

Yes, the grape juice for Montclair comes from SA, but to add to the general pressure on wine prices there have been poor harvests in other countries such as France, Spain and Italy............

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I hear few Thais complaining about wine prices

That's because Thais don't normally drink wine unless they are HiSo, and then the price is pretty much irrelevant. I would guess that the majority of the lower end wine sales are bought by expats, who come from a wine drinking culture. I know that when I'm in Tesco or Big C (both in Bangkok and Ubon), the vast majority people I see browsing the wine racks are farang. The Thai customers tend more towards the spirits racks. That's a generalisation, of course, but wine doesn't figure large in your average Thai household.

7 hours ago, helloagain said:

Even though the local fermented fruit juice usually beats homemade Jeddah Gin aka fermented potato peels, after imbibing FFJ ( that is, by the way, more expensive here than cheap, real wine from some regions back home ) a rest is probably a good idea.
But then, having noticed the price of wine actually made from grape juice, the taste / quality is of course outrageous and it is unlikely that you find someone drinking too much wine.

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The 2L bottles are now 749b at Big C, they use to be about 459b 2 months ago. You may find the old prices at Best Supermarket, on Pattya Nua near the Dolphin circle.

Sàme at Tesco and Big C Nakhon Sawan. Mont Clair 2 l bottles gone from 429baht to 749baht. Crazy country, very few Thais drink wine so it's a farang thing.

2 hours ago, nisakiman said:

That's because Thais don't normally drink wine unless they are HiSo, and then the price is pretty much irrelevant. I would guess that the majority of the lower end wine sales are bought by expats, who come from a wine drinking culture. I know that when I'm in Tesco or Big C (both in Bangkok and Ubon), the vast majority people I see browsing the wine racks are farang. The Thai customers tend more towards the spirits racks. That's a generalisation, of course, but wine doesn't figure large in your average Thai household.

Gee, then do you think this is directed toward the farangs

Just now, geronimo said:

The Thais who drink wine are not the slightest bit concerned about price.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Gee, it looks like you didn't get far into the post above does it? I think all wealthy people are concerned about price, just not enough to not pay for it if they wanted it.

4 hours ago, nisakiman said:

For sure, ALL 7-eleven in the country sell wine only to foreigners...

How funny it is to even think that it's possible...

Good evening,

It would be very presumptuous to claim that MontClair, Mar Sol or even "Fleur de Galetis" are wines, whereas they are only a mixture of alcoholic fruit juices with very little grapes.
If you want a "real wine" with grapes, so to drink during a meal, in Thailand, you have to pay the price.
Otherwise, "Fleur de Galetis" is the best of the worst alcoholic fruit juices.
As for Thais, tainted alcohol would do the trick.

Archived