Mont Clair Red WIne

SkyRider

52 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Good evening,

It would be very presumptuous to claim that MontClair, Mar Sol or even "Fleur de Galetis" are wines, whereas they are only a mixture of alcoholic fruit juices with very little grapes.
If you want a "real wine" with grapes, so to drink during a meal, in Thailand, you have to pay the price.
Otherwise, "Fleur de Galetis" is the best of the worst alcoholic fruit juices.
As for Thais, tainted alcohol would do the trick.

Just bought California Carlo Rossi for $5 in Cambodia....

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, sirocco said:

Good evening,

It would be very presumptuous to claim that MontClair, Mar Sol or even "Fleur de Galetis" are wines, whereas they are only a mixture of alcoholic fruit juices with very little grapes.
If you want a "real wine" with grapes, so to drink during a meal, in Thailand, you have to pay the price.
Otherwise, "Fleur de Galetis" is the best of the worst alcoholic fruit juices.
As for Thais, tainted alcohol would do the trick.

I've posted frequently on this on the Montclair thread, and I think you'll find that in the main these types of "wines" have more than "very little grapes", but mixed with fruit juice (as it says on the most of the labels EXCEPT those produced by Siam Winery).

Originally there was a tax exemption on any of these where the fruit juice content was around 20%. so that's a starting point I would think.........but there again we don't know.

Bellevue (spelling?) "wine" is up there amongst the :"better wines" (oxymoron I know) of this type and "Jump Yards" from The Wine Connection also.

Not my style and being a wine drinker and collector for 50 years means I'm not going to change now :smile:

23 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Oh dear, oh dear,  such a generalisation.  Is this directed at all TV posters?  If it is I find that your attitude is extreme to say the least.

I will continue to enjoy my fags and have a drink with my many friends of all nationalities.  Thankfully I will never be in a position to meet someone like you.

BTW - what dollars are you talking about?  Singaporean, Aussie or US?  Sorry to anyone whose currency is the dollar and I have missed it out.

could be hong kong dollars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

For sure, ALL 7-eleven in the country sell wine only to foreigners...

How funny it is to even think that it's possible...

He didn't say they sell wine "only" to foreighners.  He said "That's a generalisation, of course" 

8 hours ago, meechai said:

After years in Thailand one of the best things upon returning to the States is the great Beer & Wines at silly cheap prices.:smile:

For sure.  It's one of the things that I miss the most, about the States.  A different variety of wine every night, and you can find some great wine, for very low prices.  

What I'm wondering now is:  So, why haven't the suppliers. or sellers. of these boxed wines that are no longer on the shelves, restocked the shelves - to be sold at the higher prices?

Would it be too confusing, to mix the old inventory at the old price, with the new inventory at the higher price - so they are waiting for every last box to sell out, before they restock the shelves? 

If boxed wines become no longer available - I'm going to have to start looking for some inexpensive bottles, and hopefully find a few that have a decent taste.  Compared to what I am used to in the States, most of them, suck. 

Wine is the healthiest alcohol, and tastes the best to me, so I'm not going to go back to drinking hard liqueur, like I did in my youth - or beer every night (it gets warm way too fast in this climate)...

So either way. my costs for wine, have gone up. maybe even, dramatically. 

39 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

What I'm wondering now is:  So, why haven't the suppliers. or sellers. of these boxed wines that are no longer on the shelves, restocked the shelves - to be sold at the higher prices?

I've been told 2 Liter containers will be available in April.

Why did this happen ? Well, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody told the suppliers about some arbitrary change in law until it was far too late to disrupt the supply chain.

Just a guess as I don't have solid information, but suspect the tax break on "wines" previously designated as containing fruit juice has been eliminated, or at least reduced. This would lead to a price increase, thus making them no longer attractive relative to 100% grape wine.  If the rumour about a two-litre box does come about, that may simply be suppliers still trying to sell the fruit juice concoction in a smaller package (doubt anyone would be willing to spend +/- THB 5,000 for five litre box).

Again, would be great to hear from anyone out there that does have the full story.

Al

9 hours ago, norrska said:

You really gonna move somewhere and live off bread and wine....have you considered the clergy?

I recently spent 4 days in Siem Reap when my family visited from Melbourne.  For a good meal for seven, $50aud with beers.  For decent bread I must do a round trip of 80kms to Buriram Big C or Makro.   Never will I pay 25-30 bucks for Jacobs Creek which cost about ten at home.  The clergy here are noisy and early risers but I'm getting used to it.

Any other delights I haven't tried because I'm getting old and happily married to TW.

But if I was a younger man and single it might just be a different matter.

36 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

For decent bread I must do a round trip of 80kms to Buriram Big C or Makro.

You could always buy a breadmaker – – – I had one for many years back in NZ and I used to make my own bread and tried all sorts of different recipes/contents, and most of the time it turned out very well indeed.

A few times I'd had a little bit too much red wine to drink and I decided to make the bread before going to bed, ready and waiting, warm and wonderful for the next morning, but I forgot to add the yeast mixture and woke up to something akin to a house brick!!

I've tried a breadmaker in Oz with success but electrical devices here fail too often and my shower is potentially lethal thanks to internal water leaks,

But back to wine.  Fizzy beer bloats me and hard liquor makes me ill.  I'm a wine drinker and, while I love Thailand and its people, I am sometimes depressed by its insularity, it taxes all foreign treats and delights to protect itself from competition. 

My kitchen disasters make good tales too.

2 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

I recently spent 4 days in Siem Reap when my family visited from Melbourne.  For a good meal for seven, $50aud with beers.  For decent bread I must do a round trip of 80kms to Buriram Big C or Makro.   Never will I pay 25-30 bucks for Jacobs Creek which cost about ten at home.  The clergy here are noisy and early risers but I'm getting used to it.

Any other delights I haven't tried because I'm getting old and happily married to TW.

But if I was a younger man and single it might just be a different matter.

I wouldn't even spend 5 bucks for Jacobs Creek.  I've tried it, and in my opinion, it's tasteless.  

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

You could always buy a breadmaker – – – I had one for many years back in NZ and I used to make my own bread and tried all sorts of different recipes/contents, and most of the time it turned out very well indeed.

A few times I'd had a little bit too much red wine to drink and I decided to make the bread before going to bed, ready and waiting, warm and wonderful for the next morning, but I forgot to add the yeast mixture and woke up to something akin to a house brick!!

I couldnt do it. The smell of fresh bread drifting through the house would have me attacking it ..I have no self control when it comes to the smell of bread or a stew in a crock pot :sad:

3 hours ago, SkyRider said:

I wouldn't even spend 5 bucks for Jacobs Creek.  I've tried it, and in my opinion, it's tasteless.  

Never far from a miserable bu gger on this site.   Ever tried a box of Koolaba with a straw on a park bench with a couple of Aboriginal guys for company?

Nor have I but I'll give it a go sometime.

What would you recommend in Thailand that suits your fastidious tastebuds?

Skyrider, before we start a fight let me just say that the poor selection of quaffable, cheap and cheerful wines on the shelves of Big C or Tesco etc is so limited and everything, piss poor or decent, is a ridiculous price. That's all I'm saying.

Never far from a miserable bu gger on this site.   Ever tried a box of Koolaba with a straw on a park bench with a couple of Aboriginal guys for company?
I would say with 100%certainty it would be in a tall bottle of Chang. His posting style screams low class.

8 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.  I said, "in my opinion".  

Coming from the States, I'm spoiled when it comes to wine, and I find it very difficult to find a good one without having to spend $30 on what would cost me $6 in the States.  So I can't recommend wines in Thailand.  But I'll be looking for some good bottles, that are not too high in price for my budget.  

I thought for the price, Mont Clair tasted OK, not great, but OK.  That's why I posted about it.

Talk about miserable!

Skyrider, before we start a fight let me just say that the poor selection of quaffable, cheap and cheerful wines on the shelves of Big C or Tesco etc is so limited and everything, piss poor or decent, is a ridiculous price. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not fighting at all.  And I totally agree with what you said: " Never will I pay 25-30 bucks for Jacobs Creek which cost about ten at home. "  Or any bottle.  

7 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I would say with 100%certainty it would be in a tall bottle of Chang. His posting style screams low class.

I'm a wine drinker. I love beer, but I won't drink it every night.  Btw, Amstel Light is my favorite beer., I don't really care for Chang. 

I don't think that my budget of not spending more then I think I should on wine, makes me low class.  

14 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I couldnt do it. The smell of fresh bread drifting through the house would have me attacking it ..I have no self control when it comes to the smell of bread or a stew in a crock pot :sad:

Know what you mean............so set it on the timer to be ready when you wake up, then you can attack it with gusto!

3 hours ago, SkyRider said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.  I said, "in my opinion".  

Coming from the States, I'm spoiled when it comes to wine, and I find it very difficult to find a good one without having to spend $30 on what would cost me $6 in the States.  So I can't recommend wines in Thailand.  But I'll be looking for some good bottles, that are not too high in price for my budget.  

I thought for the price, Mont Clair tasted OK, not great, but OK.  That's why I posted about it.

There are some reasonably priced "everyday drinking wines" (yes real wine with no fruit juice) around if you want to search for them and I am currently buying some of those between 420 and 500 baht, with the occasional splash out for something special, which I get from a private distributor at a great price.

I think the other thing you have to remember is that in Thailand things like this are not going to change so comparing what you can buy here with what you could in your own country is "depressing" to say the least.

Someone mentioned Jacob's Creek, and that is well overpriced here for what it is, and there are others, as mentioned above, around which are cheaper and better. Also look for the special offers, discounts and mis-priced bottles as I have had great success in this area!

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

There are some reasonably priced "everyday drinking wines" (yes real wine with no fruit juice) around if you want to search for them and I am currently buying some of those between 420 and 500 baht, with the occasional splash out for something special, which I get from a private distributor at a great price.

I think the other thing you have to remember is that in Thailand things like this are not going to change so comparing what you can buy here with what you could in your own country is "depressing" to say the least.

Someone mentioned Jacob's Creek, and that is well overpriced here for what it is, and there are others, as mentioned above, around which are cheaper and better. Also look for the special offers, discounts and mis-priced bottles as I have had great success in this area!

You're right.  I just have to bite the bullet, and accept that almost any bottle here, will be higher in price, then what I could get it for in the States.

Thanks for the advice on looking for the special offers, discounts, and mis-priced bottles - I'll do that.  

One of the lower priced bottles in the States that I used to drink, was Yellow Tail, Shiraz Cabernet - it's delicious.  It was selling for $6.00 when I left the States.  I saw a bottle of their Cabernet (not Shiraz Cabernet), at Foodland, I think for 500 baht - converted, that's about $17.00.   But again, you're right - paying more for wine in Thailand, is just something that I'm going to have to factor into my costs.  

2 hours ago, SkyRider said:

One of the lower priced bottles in the States that I used to drink, was Yellow Tail, Shiraz Cabernet - it's delicious.  It was selling for $6.00 when I left the States.  I saw a bottle of their Cabernet (not Shiraz Cabernet), at Foodland, I think for 500 baht - converted, that's about $17.00.   But again, you're right - paying more for wine in Thailand, is just something that I'm going to have to factor into my costs.  

I quite like some of the cheap Gallo wines from the US, I've seen them for sale in Villa.

Archived