Powerful 7.5 magnitude quake strikes central Papua New Guinea

webfact

Powerful 7.5 magnitude quake strikes central Papua New Guinea

USG.jpg

Map: USGS

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A powerful 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck Papua New Guinea's Southern Highlands province in the early hours of Monday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The tremor hit near the centre of the country's main island, around 560 kilometres (348 miles) from the capital Port Moresby at around 0345 local time (1545 GMT).

Its depth was around 35 kilometres (22 miles), USGS said.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties and the country's disaster management authority did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no risk of a tsunami in the aftermath of the tremor.

"Recent earthquakes in this area have caused secondary hazards such as tsunamis and landslides that might have contributed to losses," the USGS said.

Quakes are common in Papua New Guinea, which sits on the Pacific's "Ring of Fire", a hotspot for seismic activity due to friction between tectonic plates.

(Reporting by Andrea Ricci and Charlotte Greenfield; Editing by Daniel Wallis ansd David Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-26

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I hope there are no casualties.

Then again , there's very little there but jungle & mountains anyway, I spent some time working in that area many years ago.

Well there is also Mining in that area and EXXON has a huge Gas Plant in that area and a Pipeline all the way to Port Moresby, as well. 

I was actually in the Highlands once when an Earth Quake hit. But it was centered Off-Shore and quite a long distance away. But you could still feel your chair rocking and to be honest was quite a strange experience. 

31 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Well there is also Mining in that area and EXXON has a huge Gas Plant in that area and a Pipeline all the way to Port Moresby, as well. 

I was actually in the Highlands once when an Earth Quake hit. But it was centered Off-Shore and quite a long distance away. But you could still feel your chair rocking and to be honest was quite a strange experience. 

If Exxon are on the Elk field (Purari River area), I did a seismic survey on that prospect around 2006. 

Some days there'd be 4 or 5 (natural) seismic events showing on the instrument, very active there. I once felt a strong tremor not long after waking up in the morning whilst lying in bed..

• Like 1

If Exxon are on the Elk field (Purari River area), I did a seismic survey on that prospect around 2006. 

Some days there'd be 4 or 5 (natural) seismic events showing on the instrument, very active there. I once felt a strong tremor not long after waking up in the morning whilst lying in bed..

Most of us have .[emoji160]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

Exxon has been impacted.... plant shut in... rumors of fatalities in the area.

this area is so damn isolated, it might take awhile for the true impact to emerge, including mudslide damage... which is always a major event in this area

1E94EB41-2662-46ED-A6E3-FB4B56D1E733.jpeg

Edited by farcanell