PM Prayut satisfied with Thailand’s improvement in graft index

webfact

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think your mistaken how the CPI gets their information, you should read up. They collect it from other sources.

What about other sources? They are sure connected with the government and the government take control of all the information.

2 minutes ago, peperobi said:

What about other sources? They are sure connected with the government and the government take control of all the information.

https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2017

The index, which ranks 180 countries and territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption according to experts and businesspeople

So it does not get its information from the goverment but from other sources. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Announced by the global civil society organization leading the fight against corruption known as Transparency International, the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2017 placed Thailand at number 96 out of 180 countries surveyed. Last year, the country was ranked 101st. 

This ranking change does NOT mean Thailand improved.  It's quite as likely that 5 other countries simply got worse than Thailand and that nothing changed here.  

7 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

so other 5 countries got worse, and Thailand avoided this? also good achievement!

So not changing anything is a good achievement?  If your standards are low, I suppose you are right.  Maybe a better way to measure things would be to ask, "what specifically changed such that we can say we are less corrupt this year?"   I'm ignorant of the basis of these rankings but I can't believe that this shows real progress.  Just look at the watch scandal.  

16 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

This ranking change does NOT mean Thailand improved.  It's quite as likely that 5 other countries simply got worse than Thailand and that nothing changed here.  

Your observation is valid.. but it could also mean Thailand improved as 10 countries improved a lot but not as much as Thailand..

I mean you can reason this all the way you want without proof it means nothing. 

I am not saying your wrong.. I am saying your argument works both ways.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

i did not say this. I just say that all "studies" of transparency international is biased in benefit of it's masters.

so it's not a valuable proof of corruption at all.  but it's a proof that Thai government does not act according to American interests. which is a wonderful news for all Thais.

please share link as evidence of this bias.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

as you wish!

Matt I generally agree with your perspective, the international media want the circus 'opposing' parties, it's generally all a distraction e.g. the watch drama (no-one reports the $21 trillion missing in US army accounting as reported by forbes).  It's true, love of international media/ omniscience/ religion is held above any assessment of character.

What Westeners we don't get is that Thailand's problems to certain extent play out in plain view and are reported on so though it looks messy, the problem will generally get fixed.  In the West we use sarcasm to protect our egos from the fact we don't know our leaders, it's so pathetic we have to call them globalists, internationalists etc, everything is hidden by national security; then we congratulate one another there are no real problems (because they're hidden) & democracy is working great...  Take your pick...

Tempted to go out and print UK for Prayut t-shirt, worth more than a 1000 begruntled moans online...

Edited by semiotically
addition

3 hours ago, Matt96 said:

i dont believe in such a coincidence -those who pays for studies got the best results

What coincidence?  None of the US, Germany or UK made it into the top 10.  Instead, the best results were dominated by the Nordics, New Zealand and Singapore.  Transparency International makes a full disclosure of the methodology used in its ratings of corruption.  Can you explain how this methodology is biased in favor of the institutions that fund the study, or are you just engaging in the same sort of ad hominem attacks you accuse others of?

• Like 2

Prayut has done a brilliant job in reducing corruption. Shutdown most of illegal street hawkers, restaurants and night bars on sukhumvit and right across bangkok . That alone was worth millions of baht in bribes..then there is the ripping down of illegal hotels , restaurants etc right across thailand including many islands

Not something you do if you have your hand out for big fat envelopes !!!

Nobody is stupid enough to think its now corruption free but its lights years in advance compared to the previous slimy politicians that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Matt96 said:

i dont believe in such a coincidence -those who pays for studies got the best results

Transparency International receives funding from a number of different sources including governments, foundations, the private sector and individuals.

It is Transparency International’s policy to list all donations over €1,000 and publicly disclose these. All donations over €1,000 to the Transparency International Secretariat can be found in Audited Financial Reports.

https://www.transparency.org/whoweare/accountability/who_supports_us/2

How do you "connect the dots" that those who pays (sic) for studies got the best result?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, semiotically said:

21 trillion dollars or 650 trillion baht, so what? lol.  You can buy a few luxury watches with that, I'd tell you.  SCALE = PERSPECTIVE.

So what? How do you know that the countries that are ranked after USA are not worst? (I am not particularly defending the USA). As for the scale, if I remember well, It's the largest economy in the world.