EU tells Balkan states 2025 entry possible for all

webfact

19 hours ago, khunken said:

Yes Ireland got lots of assistance to morph from one of the poorest EU states to one of the richest & is now very close to becoming a net contributor to the budget. The rest of your post is pure rubbish.

The country got a helluva lot more than a 'tram in Dublin'. It certainly did get some motorways to link cities plus loads of industry from large & medium-sized global companies - too many to list here.

Oilinki is so right about lifting poorer regions up pays off in the long term. But that seems too difficult for some to understand.

Ah, so you think it is OK for poor countries to join up and get the German taxpayers to make them rich. 

I happen to disagree with that principle.

Don't assume I never lived in Ireland.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, so you think it is OK for poor countries to join up and get the German taxpayers to make them rich. 

I happen to disagree with that principle.

Don't assume I never lived in Ireland.

Not in the warped way you put it. But I do think that the EU's praiseworthy efforts to lift poorer countries upwards is a win for both sides. Countries like Ireland can then contribute to the EU and countries like Germany can gain from trade with Ireland.

Just like the US's Marshall plan to lift Europe from the devastation of WWII benefitted the US in the long run.

Edited by khunken
grammar