Video: Tourist has just two words (repeatedly) for cabby who won't turn on the meter

webfact

15 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I can only see one reason for them not turning the metre on. They are working for the owner of the cab and they are pocketing the  fare. 

Turning the "metre" on....that's what I call going the extra yard....in metric!

Monday noon, outside the Grand Palace, my Thai wife and I tried to get a meter taxi back to our Bangkok hotel about 15 - 20 minutes drive away. No luck. Taxi drivers were quoting us their SET price to our hotel, which was almost 1/2 the cost of a taxi ride all the way to Pattaya from the airport for gawds sake .

We went to the tent with 2 army uniformed staff and asked for their help. One soldier came over and spoke to the first taxi driver in the lineup asking that he use his meter. The driver just smiled and drove off empty - probably circled the block and back in line with NO METER again.  The soldier looked at us and smiled as he shrugged.

No license number taken, no fine, no reprimand. No enforcement whatsoever. 

Bangkok has become Greedy and Hopeless !!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

A: Post 307 was a response to your comment on my “coming round to your position”. I have done no such thing. 

B: coming round to something is a deliberate act. As I don’t know your position (because I don’t care), I cannot come round to it. 

<deleted> guys, I m not even old and I needed an aspirin trying to work out who was quoting who

What are you guys even arguing about, I gave up after two lines

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I find that in Bangkok, I am always able to get a taxi willing to use the meter. Sometimes I have to shine on one or two or three taxis, before I find one that will use the meter. But, I do it with calmness and respect. Best way to approach life here. Water off a ducks back. Why be upset over a taxi driver who will not use his meter? There are hundreds more. Why all the anxiety? 

Because it shouldnt be like that....

a tourist should feel safe and not have to negotiate on using a metered service, and to get ripped off, whether its $1 or $10

Call me naive, but thats my view,

too many tourists get ripped off, and they'll stop coming, so dont bite the hand that feeds you

19 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Because it shouldnt be like that....

a tourist should feel safe and not have to negotiate on using a metered service, and to get ripped off, whether its $1 or $10

Call me naive, but thats my view,

too many tourists get ripped off, and they'll stop coming, so dont bite the hand that feeds you

You know I used to feel that way. Now, I am starting to believe that it does not matter. The Chinese are filling to void. And they are willing to take all kinds of abuse, just like they do at home, from a horrifically corrupt and cruel government, and from a hugely overpopulated environment. I think compared to China, Thailand must feel like heaven for alot of them. 

The shame of that equation is that at least up until now, they do not spend as much, per capita, as well heeled Western tourists, who used to spend anywhere between $150 and $2,000 a day. Alot of westerners have more or less abandoned Thailand. There are too many alternatives these days. The neighbors are trying harder, and are far more progressive in their mentality. That is a difficult result for the Thais, who are in the tourism industry. Most Chinese are budget travelers, at least so far. Let us see what happens.

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You know I used to feel that way. Now, I am starting to believe that it does not matter. The Chinese are filling to void. And they are willing to take all kinds of abuse, just like they do at home, from a horrifically corrupt and cruel government, and from a hugely overpopulated environment. I think compared to China, Thailand must feel like heaven for alot of them. 

The shame of that equation is that at least up until now, they do not spend as much, per capita, as well heeled Western tourists, who used to spend anywhere between $150 and $2,000 a day. Alot of westerners have more or less abandoned Thailand. There are too many alternatives these days. The neighbors are trying harder, and are far more progressive in their mentality. That is a difficult result for the Thais, who are in the tourism industry. Most Chinese are budget travelers, at least so far. Let us see what happens.

I read somewhere that the chinese do spend just as much as western tourists, but in different areas, eg tours, food and hotels and less on sex,

but dont quote me on that,

if they make thailand too unattractive for tourists eventually the industry will suffer and the thais will only have themselves to blame,

its easy to get complaceant and cocky when everything is going fine, but you do really have to plan in advance,

something probably asians arent that good at.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:15 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Another British chav in Bangkok.

Holding the traffic and making everyone wait in line because his sorry behind was offended.

There are better ways to deal with this.

What an epic loser.

On the limited vocabulary it seems unfair to name him as British.......he could be Australian, South African etc 

8 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

I read somewhere that the chinese do spend just as much as western tourists, but in different areas, eg tours, food and hotels and less on sex,

but dont quote me on that,

if they make thailand too unattractive for tourists eventually the industry will suffer and the thais will only have themselves to blame,

its easy to get complaceant and cocky when everything is going fine, but you do really have to plan in advance,

something probably asians arent that good at.

Was that something you read, by any chance published by the TAT? Be careful what you read here. There is alot of misinformation out there. The government has invested heavily in this campaign to bring ten million Chinese tourists a year here, and there is alot at stake and an awful lot of face to be lost if it all goes belly up. Already all of the major airports are working beyond capacity. When you add in the highways, and other infrastructure, there could easily come a time when the country simply cannot support more Chinese tourists. What then? 

I hear from alot of people who are in the tourism industry, that the Chinese tourists are a pale shadow of the western tourists they used to deal with, when it comes to spending money. Sure, there are some Chinese who come here with real money. But, alot are on super budget tours, and few Thai people see the baht pouring in from them. 

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Bluespunk on his usuall six page disagreement with someone about one point .

"You said that its hot today "

"No, I said that  some days are hot"

"And today is some day"

"Its not Sunday, its Wednesday"

"I didnt say that it was Sunday"

"Yes, you did, in post #2652"

"That was three days ago and it was Sunday then "

"So, you did say it  Sundays are hot , not every Sunday is hot"

"I didnt say that they were "

"Yes you did"

"Some Sundays are cold"

"No, theyre not"

"It smowed one Sunday "

"No it didnt"

"Yes it did"

"Where"

"In Canada"

"Was that on a Sunday or Wednesday"?

"Tuesday "

"Lets get back on topic"

"You went off topic "

No, I didnt, you did, in post #5628 you posted about a taxi  having his meter running "

"Thats what this topic is about"

"No, it isnt, this topic is about Taxis not having their meters running"

Been there done that, nice one son 55555555

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

depends on what comission rate the taxi company takes off the meter,

I know what it is in a few other countries but not Thailand

It largely depends on whether they own the taxi or not, most do not and instead lease them at a rate of 600 baht per 8 hours and if they are late taking back the taxi then they get fined the same amount.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:15 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Another British chav in Bangkok.

Holding the traffic and making everyone wait in line because his sorry behind was offended.

There are better ways to deal with this.

What an epic loser.

What are those "better ways"?

Edited by JimmyJ

On 2/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, lemonjelly said:

yeah, come to S.E. Asia get gobby and risk getting a beating because cabbie doesn’t want to turn the meter on.... or could’ve just walked away...... these knobs bring it on themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The guy has the nuts to do it in their face unlike most guys..

Edited by Solinvictus
Error

22 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

The guy has the nuts to do it in their face unlike most guys..

Lack of brains not nuts. Fighting over pennies is stupid.

In life you pick things worth fighting for.

Small stuff you let go.

"I typically have my phone running on video before I open the cab door. "

Why don't you go harrass lawyers and politicians.

Harrassing poor working class is so petty.

Who goes around harrassing the poorest 10% in the world?

• Like 2

"I typically have my phone running on video before I open the cab door. "

Why don't you go harrass lawyers and politicians.

Harrassing poor working class is so petty.

Who goes around harrassing the poorest 10% in the world?

Apparently must be deluded in the thinking that one these taxi drivers are poor. What evidence do you have the backs up this assertion? The only harassment the took place was the taxi driver who violated Ty Law by not wanting to use the meter. And it wasn't just that he didn't want to use the meter it was that he wanted to charge me 200 baht for 60 Baht ride.

In most parts of the world we call this fraud. We also call it lying, when the perpetrator tells me something's wrong with the meter or he doesn't have to use the meter.

I was taking a sick cat to the Animal Hospital and I didn't want to wait for an Uber so I figured I would grab a cab since it was a straight line from the hospital to my condo. But this is good news for Uber because I will normally never take a taxi. And why should I?

I can get an Uber and I know it's clean. I know the driver will be pleasant. I know the driver will not charge me anything extra that I didn't agree to, it's all handled buy the app. No money ever changes hands in the Uber or the grab.

But why don't you stand on the street corner and give away your money and do it for me and do it everyday then come to me and tell me what a good so you are that you can don't the thievery from the oppressed working man here in Thailand.

I'm just curious about one thing though, do you cancel your own children with that Stockholm syndrome like thinking?

Sent from my Star Trek Communicator.

3 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

How do you know I'm middle class? Oh, I'm not poor in fact I've got several million in the bank, but that doesn't mean that I should give it away to the next Thief the thinks he can scam me.

You can quote Karma or anything else you want but I'll give you the Golden Rule.

I believe that lying and scamming goes against the main tenets of Buddhism.

Good luck to you convincing the rest of us that it's a good idea for these poor working-class souls to ruin their chances of a better life, in the next life by breaking the main tenets of Buddhism

Sent from my Star Trek Communicator.

The precepts of Buddhism are not rules like in Christianity, they are merely guidelines designed to make peoples lives in the present better and if one should stray from the path it is this life you are living now that will be ruined.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The precepts of Buddhism are not rules like in Christianity, they are merely guidelines designed to make peoples lives in the present better and if one should stray from the path it is this life you are living now that will be ruined.

Yes and many guidelines are ignored if it suits at the time.

The "middle class" newbie won't last long with his 2m baht.

On 26/02/2018 at 4:08 AM, mvdf said:

Not even when you are wrong? You are a dangerous person who should be removed from the public domain, let alone be allowed to roam freely in Thailand or any other country for that matter.  

Don't worry - Internet hardmen are Internet hard men for a reason