Arsenal

MiG16

I think the board are clearly going to need to buy a few crates of small water bottles for Arsene's touchline. Dear oh dear; shades of end-of-season mid table stuff. Looked like a nil all from the off.

Positives - the defence looks a different animal now that Vermaelen is back. Ramsey looks like he could become very important to Arsenal's future. The new guy, Gervinho, looks quick and skillful but needs to work big time on his final ball.

I initially thought that Alfieconn's posting on another thread about 'never liking African footballers' was racist. However I now know exactly what he means. I haven't seen Arsene's post-match analysis yet but I hope he is not defending 2 of our black Africans for their crass stupidity. I would love it if he would have said 'Song's studs going down deliberately on an opponent was unacceptable. It should have been a red card and we have fined him his match fee. Gervinho has punishment enough for his stupidity in missing three match fees but I have made it clear to both players that they have to control themselves better if they want a career with this club'. Betcha he said nothing like that.

You lot don't need me to tell you what I thought of the refereeing decision not to send of Brat-un for picking Gervinho up by the shirt collar and shaking him like a rat. Words escape me.

Dam_n - saw Cahill's goal this morning - must have put a coupla million on the price.

Edited by SantiSuk

Fab and Nasri have left a nasty taste in the mouth and will never be in Arsenal hearts the way George, Adam, Bergkamp, Henri etc are :rolleyes:

I'm sure when they check their bank accounts, they will be heartbroken. wink.gif

Actually Uptheos I think that is part of the problem. Arsenal are not big payers. I agree though that most of these MMIFs (modern mercenary international footballers) care more about their hairstyle and which club they are going to next than what the fans think about them.

I initially thought that Alfieconn's posting on another thread about 'never liking African footballers' was racist.

How can that be racist SS, :o i never said black africans and i never said african footballers either :D

No disrespect intended Alfieconn

If you were saying that you don't like African footballers (99% of whom happen to be black) because they are hotheads then I was agreeing with you - bu$$er political correctness and the anti-stereotyping brigade.. If that's not what you said, all bets are off and I'm sorry for my misinterpretation of your remark (but others may have similarly jumped to that conclusion). :rolleyes:

Fab and Nasri have left a nasty taste in the mouth and will never be in Arsenal hearts the way George, Adam, Bergkamp, Henri etc are :rolleyes:

I'm sure when they check their bank accounts, they will be heartbroken. wink.gif

Actually Uptheos I think that is part of the problem. Arsenal are not big payers. I agree though that most of these MMIFs (modern mercenary international footballers) care more about their hairstyle and which club they are going to next than what the fans think about them.

Well, Fab's desire to go to Barca isn't exactly an overnight thing and to his credit he's done a good job at Arsenal.

Nasri, well he's just milking off the back of a good season - before that he wasn't anything special.

Both seem to have 'ordinary' haircuts. wink.gif

I don't understand why you feel bad towards Fab & Nasri. They are people that are doing a job & done it well for you . They have also made Arsenal good money . It is not their fault that the manager has not the funds to take Arsenal to the next level to win Trophies.

I think Your manager is the best in the prem but the board restrict him .

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if Him & Bacon face get bonus's for not spending .Prob on a sliding scale

Really, the new bread of tv footy user is improving by the day-go ahead then boy, make fun of the looks of the most successful manager in england.

I would make fun of yours adder but you guys go through them so fast I just get a good line ready and oops, there goes another one.

I don't understand why you feel bad towards Fab & Nasri. They are people that are doing a job & done it well for you . They have also made Arsenal good money . It is not their fault that the manager has not the funds to take Arsenal to the next level to win Trophies.

I think Your manager is the best in the prem but the board restrict him .

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if Him & Bacon face get bonus's for not spending .Prob on a sliding scale

Some truth in this. However, Fab could still have played with more conviction last year and as uptheos comments Naz is just capitalising on a decent half season (he was average in the second half). I agree that if you believe that football is just a job and promoting ones career is all that matters then this is what you get. My point was that the ones that live in fans heart are not just the best players, but also the ones who seemed to care about the club. If you are a long run Arsenal fan (which I am not - long run that is) or a Liverpool fan all that is instinctive. Ok - you can add a number of othyer clubs to that list like Spuds, Hammers, Sunderland, Newcastle etc.

You can add every club to that list . However we have to accept that sometimes players move on be it for personal reasons,carrer or to play back in their own country like Fab. Football & clubs always move on .

I am a Man City fan all my family the same .Tevez wants to move on (althoughI think it is more is agent than him) (another pay day) If he goes I will thank him for what he gave to my club . I would like him to stay however it isn't down to the club.

Fans are dreamers we dream the dream that 1 day we will get to live the dream. Sometimes I get that involved withthe game that my legs start trying to kick the ball . That even if I watch on TV. haha.

The lot of a fan is not a easy one that said we love it really

Edited by adder

Fine start to the season! smile.gif

I'm honestly considering sticking a pony on your (now) carthorse manager to be gone by the end of August. I reckon he's lost the plot gents...any opinion before I commit my dosh would be welcome...huh.gif

The problem that I see with Wenger is that he faces a dichotomy. 'In theory' in two years time FFP will be in place and City and Chelsea will not be able to spend as much as they like. In some respects competing against a team that will spend 'infinite' amounts in order to succeed is foolish. City seem perfectly prepared to lose 150m to try and win the Premiership. How much do you have to lose in order to beat them and, anyways if you try, they may simply spend even more. So why compete simply to see who can lose the most money.

You are also 'led to believe' that these clubs will have to show a semblance of breakeven in a couple of years. So they must cut costs while you are already at breakeven or better and probably can increase yours. So rather than lose money in a battle you probably wont even win, why not pay down your debt so that you can maximize spending when these clubs are forced to cut back? Why lose money to win, when in a couple of years breakeven is a requirement for success.

Not a glowing start to the season eh....

But..... We have had a number of great start that didn't go too far. So maybe this is a good change. :D

The ever positive me :D

Anyway before Arsenal fans do crucify Wenger they should at least appreciate what he has done over the last 5 years. Because Man U and Chelsea have just been fighting each other to see who can win by generating large losses which is very value destructive.

ManU current have the most revenues 286m v 228m

But Arsenal have been stuck in their Emirates deal which means they have 44m commercial revenues compared to 68m for Liverpool and 81m for ManU. This is coming to an end and a renegotiation should add 30m. So Arsenal are behind in revenues by about 30m.

However over the past 5 years Arsenal have made 150m profit and paid down their debt from 319m to 149m. Their interest charge is 14.2m

ManU have lost aproximately 300m over the same time period and their leverage has increased. So their interest charge was 108m (debt rising 150m).

So while Man U have been winning they have been losing and now Arsenal are in a stronger position to win when winning means at least breaking even.

Sorry Abrak, after a career in accounting and finance my mind now goes blank whenever I see numbers! [Reckon you worked for Deloitte btw].

Not sure who is expected to score tonight, since Chamakh is the only recognised striker available, though he did all his scoring over 9 months ago. Van Persie is suspended apparently and Gervinho had a fit of the stupids on Tyneside and got himself suspended for both legs! Did you see that girlie slap of his? Sweetie, I would definitely have forgiven your lapse if you'd landed a great punch on Barton and felled him properly.:rolleyes:

I guess Theo or the little russian might score once in a blue moon. Maybe needs must means blooding Oxlade-Chamberlain or bringing Carlos Vela back into the picture. Really scratching around we are.

Can't find the team sheet so maybe I've forgotten some hidden treasure. Oh yes maybe this Japanese wonder-kid gets a little run on part also.

Hope that the CEO is correct when he says don't believe everything you read in the press. All the press rumours at the moment seem to have given up on Jagielka and Cahill and have turned to second rate strikers from France and Ukraine for around the £10 million mark. We really are targetting mid table if that's the case.

Come on Chamakh - chance to re-establish yourself as the go to substitute striker!

Edited by SantiSuk

Fine start to the season! smile.gif

I'm honestly considering sticking a pony on your (now) carthorse manager to be gone by the end of August. I reckon he's lost the plot gents...any opinion before I commit my dosh would be welcome...huh.gif

The problem that I see with Wenger is that he faces a dichotomy. 'In theory' in two years time FFP will be in place and City and Chelsea will not be able to spend as much as they like. In some respects competing against a team that will spend 'infinite' amounts in order to succeed is foolish. City seem perfectly prepared to lose 150m to try and win the Premiership. How much do you have to lose in order to beat them and, anyways if you try, they may simply spend even more. So why compete simply to see who can lose the most money.

You are also 'led to believe' that these clubs will have to show a semblance of breakeven in a couple of years. So they must cut costs while you are already at breakeven or better and probably can increase yours. So rather than lose money in a battle you probably wont even win, why not pay down your debt so that you can maximize spending when these clubs are forced to cut back? Why lose money to win, when in a couple of years breakeven is a requirement for success.

Interesting stuff but I'm going for them to lose tonight and the fans start calling for his head.

Smokie - I'm going for them to lose tonight and the fans start calling for his head.

Got the next lottery numbers? I'm chasing my losses, after I went and put my life savings on your soothsaying skills. :blink:

If only I believed that were true. Did Bill Kenwright follow my advice too?

Might explain your current plight! biggrin.gif

One nil is not enough, but predictable with the available strike force. Hopefully vanP will be back for the second leg. Dunno the status of his suspension or why Gervinho was playing last noight and whether he can play in the second leg?

I'm beginning to adjust to the idea that we suffer a couple of years in CL purdah as we rebuild a team :rolleyes:

Positives - I really rather like Gervinho - gives defences a nightmare with his ability to take on two or three head on and to run across them as well as to the line. Most of the time he was still wasting final ball but right at the end he ran at the defence turned smartly across and along it and produced a sweet reverse through to Walcott who would have scored but for a fine save. More of that please. I've a feeling once Walcott (who played a good 90 minutes) and vanP work out how to work together with him we could see some serious goal scoring again.

Chamak - oh dear oh dear - what happened to the talents you showed one year ago? Even I am smart enough after watching Gervinho's first game to know that as lead striker, when Gervino runs to the line I am supposed to move quick towards the rear corner of the six yard box for a good heading opportunity - he just spent all night dawdling in 'the hole'.

I clocked the body language between CEO and Wenger at the end - very together. No way will the board sack Wenger now. They are too implicated in the root cause of the hiatus as Abrak and others have commented. I'm even coming round to the idea that Wenger is a better bet on rebuilding the team than some untried third party. That's if the fans will let him.

Can't understand why I seem to have changed my ideas but now is the time for the fans to pull behind the team not pull it apart.

Edit: since you are keeping score Somtampet, only two yellows (vs 4 to Udinese) by the way :rolleyes:

Edited by SantiSuk

bad result yesterday, but unlike supporters from the other side of N. London we dont go around looking for someone to blame and moaning about this that and the other. whistling.gif

everyone that supports the Arsenal knows the story, end of !

will just be interesting to see how the story unfolds as the season goes on.

bad result yesterday, but unlike supporters from the other side of N. London we dont go around looking for someone to blame and moaning about this that and the other. whistling.gif

everyone that supports the Arsenal knows the story, end of !

will just be interesting to see how the story unfolds as the season goes on.

Nah of course you don't, singing "spend some <deleted> money" is being constructive aint it :D

This aint moaning either :D

Arsenal fans have had enough and want change at the club.. Everything from the price of tickets/ lack of silverwear to Wengers lack of spending has taken its toll on some fans and now they want to show the board that they have had enough and want the club to change its ways….

Recently a facebook page was created called "Wenger Out", 100s of angry Arsenal fans signed up to this page and an event has now been organised for them fans to protest.

The Arsenal fans are due to wear black and show there anger towards the club and manager.

"Where has our Arsenal gone" website (Photo above) has also been set up to explain the reasons behind the protest.

Arsene Wenger hasn't won any silverware for six years, yet the club have raised the cost of seats by up to 6.5 per cent for next season "The costliest in the country"

Arsenal bosses have now put police and stewards on alert amid fears that a fans' protest march could turn ugly.

Through the sun soaked haze yesterday I seem to remember one of your lot being (unfortunatelytongue.gif) sent off.

My only reaction was....WHO is he ?:rolleyes:

... bit of a loose cannon apparently, based on his two appearances so far this season. A second yellow was predictable and Wenger might have taken him off - but with even less experienced midfielders on the bench (injuries to Willshere, Rosicky and Diaby and suspension to Song; the list for defenders is just as long) I don't blame him for sticking with Frimpong.

I doubt we would have held out against Liverpool in our current parlous state anyway.

We'll be back amongst the top 4, but probably not until next season.

My struggle to find the positives is getting harder with each match. Having been a strong performer in previous matches Ramsey disappeared from view. But Vermaelen is even better than I remember him from 2 seasons ago. I hope he can stay injury free, in which case he will be up there as the League's best central defender if he can continue to avoid the stupid one-off mistakes that two of my other contenders (Kompany and Alex) have already displayed this season.

Please don't hang on to Nasri and flush £25m down the toilet, Arsene. Please do not buy second rate Dann if you can't get Cahill or Huth or maybe Jagielka (my other two contenders). If there is no one worth buying at this late stage, it's your fault, but do not compromise your principles and let's work with what we've got this season.

... bit of a loose cannon apparently, based on his two appearances so far this season. A second yellow was predictable and Wenger might have taken him off - but with even less experienced midfielders on the bench (injuries to Willshere, Rosicky and Diaby and suspension to Song; the list for defenders is just as long) I don't blame him for sticking with Frimpong.

I doubt we would have held out against Liverpool in our current parlous state anyway.

We'll be back amongst the top 4, but probably not until next season.

My struggle to find the positives is getting harder with each match. Having been a strong performer in previous matches Ramsey disappeared from view. But Vermaelen is even better than I remember him from 2 seasons ago. I hope he can stay injury free, in which case he will be up there as the League's best central defender if he can continue to avoid the stupid one-off mistakes that two of my other contenders (Kompany and Alex) have already displayed this season.

Please don't hang on to Nasri and flush £25m down the toilet, Arsene. Please do not buy second rate Dann if you can't get Cahill or Huth or maybe Jagielka (my other two contenders). If there is no one worth buying at this late stage, it's your fault, but do not compromise your principles and let's work with what we've got this season.

I have to say your post sums up very much what I feel about Wenger. I am a huge fan and I think he has revolutionised football and I am also along the lines that although he has created this problem he is the best person to get you out. I cant help but agree with 'dont hang on to Nasri and flush 25m down the toilet'. If he plays him on Wednesday it is very difficult to justify his decision making.

Not that I know anything but I agree with your basic comments - dont buy dodgy crap for the sake of it. But I happen to believe that Wenger has got one of principles wrong - which is that you do not overpay for players. I think he should be paying 'too much' for the sake of getting quality players like Eden Hazard or Juan Mata and while my thoughts are worth nothing he is in dangerous territory claiming that not overpaying for players is 'wrong'.

The Nasri deal is done according to Beeb. Thank god the FabNaz chapter is over.

So, let's see what you've got up your sleeve now uncle Arsene.

[Note of caution "But the Italian also warned that he might abandon his long standing pursuit of Nasri should he play against Udinese and become ineligible for the group stages of City's own Champions League campaign." No Arsene wouldn't would he?]