Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

7 minutes ago, tebee said:

In US$ terms it done fairly well, although damaged by the 2008 crisis

CRx5YlJ.png

Source  https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/gdp

Actually, it should be analyzed it terms of per capita growth - which is really what counts. In other words how well each person on average is doing..

In 1980 the combined population of the 28 nations was 460 million., http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Population_and_population_change_statistics

The world population was slightly over 4.46 billion.

In 2017 the 28 nations' population increased to 512 million.

The world population is now about 7.6 billion.

So, whereas before the 28 nations had a 10.3 percent share of the world's population, now it's only 6.7 percent. So  the per capita decline is about 17% as opposed to the 50% shown in the graph. Given that developing nations have a huge advantage in growth potential. a 17% decline over the space of is hardly a serious cause for concern.

And not just that, the EU population on the average is much older. So you have a lot of retirees and a lot less young people starting families and generating more GDP.

• Thanks 1

Happy St George's Day to all my English TV friends. 

Of course, as St George was a Greek of Syrian descent, there are some of our more patriotic members who might question his right to be the English patron saint (surely there are some fine Anglo Saxons more suitable?) and certainly if he was alive today, his jacket would be on a shoogly nail in terms of right to reside in the country, but let's put all that to one side for now as we drink warm, flat beer and consider the bright Brexit future ahead of us. 

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Happy St George's Day to all my English TV friends. 

Of course, as St George was a Greek of Syrian descent, there are some of our more patriotic members who might question his right to be the English patron saint (surely there are some fine Anglo Saxons more suitable?) and certainly if he was alive today, his jacket would be on a shoogly nail in terms of right to reside in the country, but let's put all that to one side for now as we drink warm, flat beer and consider the bright Brexit future ahead of us. 

I believe the bloke is a Saint in many countries...Gave his life way back then for what he believed in...Though I dismiss the dragon bit....:stoner:

50 minutes ago, transam said:

I believe the bloke is a Saint in many countries...Gave his life way back then for what he believed in...Though I dismiss the dragon bit....:stoner:

Despite their heroic efforts, the Knights lost out to the Dragons on Sunday afternoon

Edit: Maybe they'll meet Saints later

Edited by StreetCowboy

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

oh ! look like we will be staying in the customs union according to the newspapers, brexit means br.... erm customs union. 

And quite soon we'll agree to stay in the single market too.....

• Haha 1

Yes, a true good ol' English compromise  - Leaving nobody happy, doing some small damage, but not armageddon, but giving no new opportunities either.

Probably allow the debate to go on about it here for a good twenty years  or so, about how it could have been done better one way or the other.......  

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Sticks in your throat, doesn't it. To acknowledge that in voting for the Prime Minister you were instrumental in the selection of an EU commissioner. Deliberate side stepping with some issue that has nothing to do with selection in the UK.

Just a reminder!

"Once again address the length of the chain, rubber stamping issues and my part in the election of Mr Selmayr or sign off."  

Yes, a true good ol' English compromise  - Leaving nobody happy, doing some small damage, but not armageddon, but giving no new opportunities either.

Probably allow the debate to go on about it here for a good twenty years  or so, about how it could have been done better one way or the other.......  

Not sure about nobody being happy - our fellow EUropeans will be quite satisfied If we are still in Single Market/CU and they are rid of Farage.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The historians claim it was the origin of human rights, 

Correct,. That's what I said

The Human Rights bill that Historians claim was a Human Rights Bill all be it not totally inclusive.

44 minutes ago, Orac said:

Not sure about nobody being happy - our fellow EUropeans will be quite satisfied If we are still in Single Market/CU and they are rid of Farage.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not the single market. The customs union. Not the same thing at all.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/745670/EU-single-market-free-trade-area-customs-union-difference-explained

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aright said:

Correct,. That's what I said

The Human Rights bill that Historians claim was a Human Rights Bill all be it not totally inclusive.

No, you said it is a human rights bill when actually it is not, it is the inspiration of the human rights bills.  

6 hours ago, sandyf said:
22 hours ago, aright said:

In the case of Mr Selmayer no. Who the official in the Commission is doesn't matter. You are either democratic or undemocratic . You seem to think it's alright to be undemocratic sometimes. Coming close only counts when you are throwing hand grenades. Once again address the length of the chain, rubber stamping issues and my part in the election of Mr Selmayr or sign off. 

Sticks in your throat, doesn't it. To acknowledge that in voting for the Prime Minister you were instrumental in the selection of an EU commissioner. Deliberate side stepping with some issue that has nothing to do with selection in the UK.

How did anybody's vote in the UK affect the selection of Selmayer by Juncker?

17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

So much for the fishing industry:

"Here’s the Brexiteers’ dishonesty. Each country is free to share out its national quota as it chooses – but free-market Britain, unlike others, let fishers sell their quotas abroad. The Dutch ship Cornelis Vrolijk, registered in Caterham, owns 23% of the entire UK quota. “Slipper skippers” sold their quotas abroad – it was easier to put their feet up than to fish. Could Gove seize it back post-Brexit? No more than Jeremy Corbyn could seize back rail or energy companies from foreign owners without hefty compensation. It’s not prevented by the EU, but by basic property law".

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/23/propaganda-brexit-fish-eu-britain-fishing-rights

It actually has 6% of the UK quota.  It is registered in Caterham, sails under a British flag, employs British staff and lands its catch in the UK, it is a British fishing boat, it just has a foreign owner.

May re-iterated this morning that there would be no U-turn on leaving the customs union. (23/4).  It had been reported that she was softening her stance over it but Boris and Davis have said it is a red line and if May backs down over it they will have her out!  I am paraphrasing but the gist is clear enough.

I suspect that there could be a new style custom union set up so that we can leave the current one.  Can't really see how anything else can work at the moment but with this shower, who knows?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

How did anybody's vote in the UK affect the selection of Selmayer by Juncker?

We elected members of his gang in the European Parliament that connived with him to push through the appointment.  How much more democratic do you want?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

May re-iterated this morning that there would be no U-turn on leaving the customs union. (23/4).  It had been reported that she was softening her stance over it but Boris and Davis have said it is a red line and if May backs down over it they will have her out!  I am paraphrasing but the gist is clear enough.

I suspect that there could be a new style custom union set up so that we can leave the current one.  Can't really see how anything else can work at the moment but with this shower, who knows?

It wouldn't have been half as bad if we'd left (and turned the tap off!) the Monday after the referendum & negotiated any trade deals from the outside looking in. Gina Miller etc would have been stopped in their tracks!

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It actually has 6% of the UK quota.  It is registered in Caterham, sails under a British flag, employs British staff and lands its catch in the UK, it is a British fishing boat, it just has a foreign owner.

The  Cornelis Vrolijk owns 23% of the UK fishing quota, foreign owns companies own 44% and just three companies own 61% of UK fishing quotas.

The 'ownership' is under UK property law and absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

And don't be so cocksure on where the fish are landed.

Last month (April 2016) Conservative MP Peter Aldous brought a debate to the House of Commons about whether enough was being done to allocate quota fairly.

Aldous, who is MP for Lowestoft, complained that 68% of the quota fished in Lowestoft is actually landed in the Netherlands while 32% goes to Scotland. “Those boats… bring very little, if any economic and social benefit to Lowestoft.”

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2016/05/15/investigation-big-fish-quota-barons-squeeze-out-small-scale-fishermen/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

It wouldn't have half as bad if we'd left (and turn the tap off!) the Monday after the referendum & negotiated any trade deals from the outside looking in. Gina Miller etc would have been stopped in their tracks.

What?  and close all the borders and scrap all trade arrangements that had been in place for over forty years only to start again from scratch?  All on the Monday after the referendum.  What about all the EU citizens living in the UK and the Brits living in the EU.  Do they all just pack their bags and head for their home countries?

Makes about as much sense  as us all sticking our heads up our own a*ses and then farting.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

If you can prove that by posting proof from a reliable source, that will help decide.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, you said it is a human rights bill when actually it is not, it is the inspiration of the human rights bills.  

For its time it was a Human Rights Bill but  as I have said not totally inclusive. Why would you expect it to be, time and tolerance have made the modified Modern Human Rights bills.

How can a document signed by Royal seal, which contains Writ Of Habeas Corpus  not be?  It is a Human Right.

WoHC is the fundamental principle of British justice, the basis of the United States Constitution and part of the law of all modern societies.

If its not a Human Right what is it?