Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

11 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And if you don’t receive the number of votes, you think you should receive. Will you then,as a Remoaner demand another vote? ?

Given that May signed all of EU law into UK over a year ago I would now vote to remain. Brexit means Brexit lol

So, @nontabury, did she say why she chose to study English literature rather than nursing?

Maybe because it's easier, even if it has led to a life of shelf stacking.

Of course she could always use her PhD to become an English teacher. Teaching would, like nursing, certainly pay more than stacking shelves; but, like nursing, teaching would mean longer hours and harder work than shelf stacking! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Many of those same nurses,are now joining agencies. Resulting in the tax payers paying more. One solution would be to persuade people to take up a career in nursing,rather than a Univetsity course in media studies etc, which results in many of them finishing up with debts of tens of thousand, and no hope of viable employment.

This course of action would have certainly been an advantage to a 24yr old women, who I spoke to a Tesco store in Bedfordshire last year. She’d received a PHD in English literature from a Russel group university. Now she’s a shelf stacker in that same store, burdened with a debt that she will probably never repay. So much for the wrong type of education.

There is no lack of applicants as nursing/midwifery courses have always been oversubscribed. Increasing the number of university places might be doable but providing the mandatory clinical placements would be a challenge for the NHS as each student must be actively supervised by an RN/RM which time-consuming and effectively reduces the number of available RN hours per patient.   A catchup game is being played out and unless the number of EU/non EU nurses can be increased the present staffing crisis will worsen 

I am intrigued by your story about the PhD shelf stacker!  That young woman probably has personal reason(s) for taking that job because she would surely be employable in the academic world either in the UK or abroad. Of course, her debt would be largely self-inflicted because she would have self-funded all but her first degree.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

So now I’m left wondering how these none E,u citizens manage to enter the country, especially when many Brits find it impossible to bring their own wives here.

Without knowing the facts it is impossible to know. I am, of course, aware of the many difficulties Brits have to overcome if they are to bring a  nonEU wife to the UK 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So, @nontabury, did she say why she chose to study English literature rather than nursing?

Maybe because it's easier, even if it has led to a life of shelf stacking.

Of course she could always use her PhD to become an English teacher. Teaching would, like nursing, certainly pay more than stacking shelves; but, like nursing, teaching would mean longer hours and harder work than shelf stacking! 

She told me,she had/has ambitions to become a writer,possible an author.

Will agree with you, that she would be better directing her education to become a teacher in the U.K.  Though not as one of those low paid, British university graduates that are employed teaching in Thai schools.

6 hours ago, nontabury said:

These short term contracts may not appeal to Brits, however for many of them,there is unfortunately no.alternative. This is one of the results of allowing unrestricted entry from the poorer countries ( soon to be regions) into the U.K.

It’s  all about keeping cost down,at the expense of the poorer inhaditants of the U.K. Of course this squeezing in the income, of the poor, does not effect those parasites in Westminster, or for that matter, ex-pats residing in a shoe box on Sukumvit.

The total number of temporary workers in the UK remained constant throughout the opening of our borders to the new EU states and until now, and it is actually now gfalling, I don't see this result you claim evidenced in any statistic.  England hasn't been able to meet it's labour needs for seasonal agricultural workers since the 14th century and have depended on migrants from poorer regions ever since.  The squeezing of the poor appears to be largely unrelated to immigration, the cost to the 5% of the UK's poorest is estimated to be a loss of less than 1% of their income per 1% rise in the population, and it does also have a positive effect on most of us, the other 95% of the population see a slight increase in their income with the same rise in population.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

My wife started an English course here in the U.K 3 months ago, in that class was a Columbian women, who had recently moved to this country, and strangely managed to gain employment. Today she told me about an Italian women in her new class, who after 20 yrs U.K residency in this country, during which she has opened two Italian restaurants, bragged to her that from May,she will be employing a Husband and Wife, also from Columbia at very Low wages.

So now I’m left wondering how these none E,u citizens manage to enter the country, especially when many Brits find it impossible to bring their own wives here.

The only people who find it impossible to bring their wives to the UK can neither earn the required minimum nor have wives who have skills that are desirable to the UK.  They can bring them in if they earn over 18K themselves, or the wife can enter using the same route as these people, but they can't, because they can't do anything.

11 hours ago, Swimman said:

There is no lack of applicants as nursing/midwifery courses have always been oversubscribed. Increasing the number of university places might be doable but providing the mandatory clinical placements would be a challenge for the NHS as each student must be actively supervised by an RN/RM which time-consuming and effectively reduces the number of available RN hours per patient.   A catchup game is being played out and unless the number of EU/non EU nurses can be increased the present staffing crisis will worsen 

I am intrigued by your story about the PhD shelf stacker!  That young woman probably has personal reason(s) for taking that job because she would surely be employable in the academic world either in the UK or abroad. Of course, her debt would be largely self-inflicted because she would have self-funded all but her first degree.

Nursing applicants were always oversubscribed, right up until two years ago when then scrapped the bursary, since then we have seen a drop in applicants of 33% and a drop in enrolment of 3%.  Some good universities remain oversubscribed, but not all of them anymore.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The only people who find it impossible to bring their wives to the UK can neither earn the required minimum nor have wives who have skills that are desirable to the UK.  They can bring them in if they earn over 18K themselves, or the wife can enter using the same route as these people, but they can't, because they can't do anything.

I watched a UK program the other night, they were talking to a Greek woman working in a UK banana packing place. They asked her why she was in the UK doing this sort of work, she said she had a shop in Greece that went down the pan because nobody has money to spend. She also said she has a husband and kids in Greece that she sends money too and hopes in the future she can bring them to the UK...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I watched a UK program the other night, they were talking to a Greek woman working in a UK banana packing place. They asked her why she was in the UK doing this sort of work, she said she had a shop in Greece that went down the pan because nobody has money to spend. She also said she has a husband and kids in Greece that she sends money too and hopes in the future she can bring them to the UK...

And the relevance is?  Just to re-cap, we were talking about non-EU migrants being able to come while some British people's dependents can't.

I think it should be a human right to bring a spouse to live in the U.K. with you. However, they would have to leave after divorce; citizenship after 10 years?

Clearly one would have to have adequate joint income so as not to be a burden on the state. So the right for the spouse to work should be a given. 

I dont know what the minimum joint joint income should be set at? Double the "living wage"? About 32k currently?

Edited by Grouse

18 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Nursing applicants were always oversubscribed, right up until two years ago when then scrapped the bursary, since then we have seen a drop in applicants of 33% and a drop in enrolment of 3%.  Some good universities remain oversubscribed, but not all of them anymore.

Oh dear --- There are still more applicants than available places and if you check carefully there has been a fall in the number of applicants for most(all) types of course, not just nursing! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, transam said:

There are foreign organisation in UK that arrange anything with false documents and lies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

And the relevance is?  Just to re-cap, we were talking about non-EU migrants being able to come while some British people's dependents can't.

Well I am so sorry, I just posted something to think about...When Brexit is sorted this ladies family thing will probably stuff her plans as the EU member escape to the yellow brick road will perhaps not be there..

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

There are foreign organisation in UK that arrange anything with false documents and lies.

Absolutely, I have posted how the UK immigration is having huge problems...

Great watching....UK Boarder Force, season 1&2....

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

She doesn't need any false documents , as an EU national working in another EU country she has an automatic right to family reunification. 

Simmerly as a British national living in France I have an automatic right to bring my thai wife and stepson there.

It's the British government that is mean and nasty with it's own citizens because it can be. 

13 minutes ago, Swimman said:

Oh dear --- There are still more applicants than available places and if you check carefully there has been a fall in the number of applicants for most(all) types of course, not just nursing! 

All forms of tertiary education should be free at the point of delivery including a living allowance. This could be recoverable through progressive income tax.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Then catch them and gaol them! No question. No fines. Gaol.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Swimman said:

What even those useless 'meeja studies courses provided by 3rd rate "unis" ? 

They are charging their dodgy folk cash to fix immigration questions....Some really must watch YouTube UK immigration stuff...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Swimman said:

What even those useless 'meeja studies courses provided by 3rd rate "unis" ? 

Yes. There are several faults in the existing system 

1) lack of transparency on likely outcomes. What sorts of salaries are obtained by alumni.

2) Quantities of places.

3) Different allowances for different courses

4) Different fees for different universities related to research levels

and so on...