Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

Just been reading a very interesting article on Politico.eu. It highlights the desperation that still pervades remainers that are UK Citizens that reside elsewhere in the EU and Citizens of other EU Countries that reside in the UK.

https://www.politico.eu/article/how-britain-made-me-a-citizen-of-nowhere/

EU remainer Citizens in the UK think that they should have a vote in the UK Referendum. That one is easy to answer. It is called becoming a UK Citizen and you will then be eligible to vote in the UK.

UK remainer living elsewhere in the EU. Now Mike claims to live in France ( Tebee ? ) does not pay UK taxes and thinks it is unfair that the Tories excluded him from voting by passing the 15 year rule. So distraught is poor Mike that it must have escaped poor Mike's mind that this legislation was brought in by a Labour Government and it was Labour MP's that voted against scrapping this rule.

How sad must you be to be still bleating about something nearly 2 years after the event.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

If you read soalbundy’s reply to my original comment, you will see that he is aware of the document from the 5 Star Movement and the Northern League coalition. He is also aware that it was leaked and that it is being reworked because he obviously follows European politics. If you don’t wish to follow events, it is fine with me, but please don't expect me to explain every detail to you if you can’t be bothered to read them yourself. It was actually detailed in the article I posted from The Wall Street Journal, which you obviously haven't read because you are now just trolling me.

YOUR QUOTE: Well of course they said it is being reworked, they had no choice, the document was leaked, what do you expect them to say.

I then asked: Care to explain this? Do I detect another conspiracy?

The above does not answer my question at all.

And yes I follow events and yes I have read soalbundy's comments.

My question was:

Why did they have no choice after the document being leaked? Why did they have to say it was being reworked?

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

I don't deny the UK negotiating team are making a pig's ear of it. I'd much rather have seen a working group formed of pro-Brexit business leaders and politicians, with one or two pragmatic remainers thrown in.

But the fact remains, the (weak) team we have would do much better without the hard remainers holding them back.

But you pretty much have that working group - problem is it is a small deadpool of talent given that anybody who examines the "10000 page document (a figure of speech I've just made up ) recoils in horror at the implications for the UK's stability and prosperity and rightly says we are doing this for what exactly.  For hard remainers you could insert "the reality of the situation". It's all a total mess now , damage is being done I hope and pray we can limit the damage done by having a realistic, business and people friendly agreement with the EU. Like the title of the thread says nobody voted for this. 

A worse case scenario is complete implosion of the U.K. as a political body. Secession of Scotland and NI and then the disintegration of England.

Economic downward spiral which pops the housing and credit bubbles and sends everything flying off in all directions. The NHS will collapse and with it social services.

Even England's coherence will be threatened and it will break on a north south divide or shatter into little parts with London being the biggest chunk.

The bits and pieces will be picked up by the European Union, like it gradually now let's in the remnants of Yugoslavia.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't deny the UK negotiating team are making a pig's ear of it. I'd much rather have seen a working group formed of pro-Brexit business leaders and politicians, with one or two pragmatic remainers thrown in.

But the fact remains, the (weak) team we have would do much better without the hard remainers holding them back.

Just what have the hard remainers done to hold the rest back? The default is we leave with a hard Brexit in 10 months which is what most leavers seem to want.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

Just what have the hard remainers done to hold the rest back? The default is we leave with a hard Brexit in 10 months which is what most leavers seem to want.

Once again you are speaking with ignorance for “most leavers” . Maybe you mix with the wrong leavers.

”Most leavers “ that I know would prefer a sensibly negotiated agreement between two sensible mature parties.

That is unlikely. That should also have been unnecessary had Cameron’s government had a Brexit blueprint.

All of this is pretty irrelevant as the electorate were asked to simply vote on whether they wished to remain in the EU..... or not.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Just been reading a very interesting article on Politico.eu. It highlights the desperation that still pervades remainers that are UK Citizens that reside elsewhere in the EU and Citizens of other EU Countries that reside in the UK.

https://www.politico.eu/article/how-britain-made-me-a-citizen-of-nowhere/

EU remainer Citizens in the UK think that they should have a vote in the UK Referendum. That one is easy to answer. It is called becoming a UK Citizen and you will then be eligible to vote in the UK.

UK remainer living elsewhere in the EU. Now Mike claims to live in France ( Tebee ? ) does not pay UK taxes and thinks it is unfair that the Tories excluded him from voting by passing the 15 year rule. So distraught is poor Mike that it must have escaped poor Mike's mind that this legislation was brought in by a Labour Government and it was Labour MP's that voted against scrapping this rule.

How sad must you be to be still bleating about something nearly 2 years after the event.

The problem is we don't really like being dragged along while the rest of you commit suicide.

I presume you mean me - I am not Mike, but I am Tebee - the problem I have with not being allowed to vote is that all my rights derive from me having a British Passport, not from where I pay ( or don't pay) my taxes. If you want to change those rights it is surely just  that I be given a democratic chance to influence the politicians by having a vote? 

You may be a young whippersnapper and not remember the last time a British Politician tried to make have a vote dependent on paying taxes, but I do - It didn't go well for them and destroyed their reputation  and toppeled them from power.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

I don't really need to answer the first part of your comment.  I think you know perfectly well what I mean.

And as for a hard Brexit, what you need to understand is that most Brexiteers would prefer a good sensible deal that works for both the UK and the EU.

But if the only options were hard Brexit or stay in the EU, most of us would choose hard Brexit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Once again you are speaking with ignorance for “most leavers” . Maybe you mix with the wrong leavers.

”Most leavers “ that I know would prefer a sensibly negotiated agreement between two sensible mature parties.

That is unlikely. That should also have been unnecessary had Cameron’s government had a Brexit blueprint.

All of this is pretty irrelevant as the electorate were asked to simply vote on whether they wished to remain in the EU..... or not.

We are not going to get a negotiated settlement in the time left as we still have not decided what we want from it. If we wanted that we should have decided a plan before invoking art 50.

OK maybe not most, but I hear many - some on here - saying we should just leave. 

Two troll posts have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

27 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

But you pretty much have that working group - problem is it is a small deadpool of talent given that anybody who examines the "10000 page document (a figure of speech I've just made up ) recoils in horror at the implications for the UK's stability and prosperity and rightly says we are doing this for what exactly.  For hard remainers you could insert "the reality of the situation". It's all a total mess now , damage is being done I hope and pray we can limit the damage done by having a realistic, business and people friendly agreement with the EU. Like the title of the thread says nobody voted for this. 

A worse case scenario is complete implosion of the U.K. as a political body. Secession of Scotland and NI and then the disintegration of England.

Economic downward spiral which pops the housing and credit bubbles and sends everything flying off in all directions. The NHS will collapse and with it social services.

Even England's coherence will be threatened and it will break on a north south divide or shatter into little parts with London being the biggest chunk.

The bits and pieces will be picked up by the European Union, like it gradually now let's in the remnants of Yugoslavia.

"But you pretty much have that working group "

No, you're wrong. We do not have a working group of pro-Brexit business leaders and MPs leading the UK negotiations. You need to do more research.

And as for the rest of your ramblings, you forgot to mention World War III.

13 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Spurious Court Cases

Demonstrations.

Mass attacks on all media & social media platforms.

Antics of the House of Lords

Antics of some MP's

The list is endless.

As I said in the other reply - we hold no positions of power.

Court cases - surly you want to be sure the government is obeying the law of the land?

Demonstrations  - we are not a  dictatorship, this is a legitimate of expression democracy.

If your case can not survive a social media attack then it's very weak indeed. MSM has been on the whole supportive of leave.

HOL is doing their job which is to review things passed in the lower chamber.

Which MP? Are they not just representing the best for their constituents as they see fit, which is their duty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

You really think that's going to happen ?

Man, how scared are you ? How do you manage to leave the safety of your nice safe space ?

Worse case scenario I hope not . Here's a BBC best and worse (cue Leavers everything is biased unless it Guido Fawkes) - the reality will be somewhere in-between. I'm not scared - but concerned.  

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39439037

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

My point was there are no remainders in high positions in either the government or the opposition party  - we have no power. The current fracas is all down to leavers.

The cabinet is a balance of remainers and leavers. I believe the shadow cabinet is the same.  The PM voted Remain. The Chancellor of the Exchequer is a remainer. The governor of the BoE is a remainer. Please explain how you have no power?

I'll talk about the one in that list I know most about.

Hornby moved most of their manufacturing to China 20 years ago - just a corporation taking advantage of globalization nothing to do with the EU. It has taken over a number of EU manufacturers too, most of these remain in production because European countries have much better protection for workers rights than the UK. They are now suffering badly because the cost of manufacturing in China has increased 3 fold  in the last few years. 

An aging population and increasing prices has damaged their market place.

• Like 1

I can't be bothered going back through 429 pages to see if this has been shown before.

Maybe these are a few good reasons why Brexit has some appeal. Found this in an old file. Perhaps it is a bit dated now; I don't know but there is a message there somewhere.

A short list of financial and industrial FUBARs from the EU

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers’ pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with EU grants.

Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.

Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.

Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs.

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.

Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.

Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU.

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.

The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

This has cropped up a few times on threads over the last couple of years and virtually all of them have been debunked as having nothing to do with the EU - if I remember the Ford one has a limited amount of truth to it but excludes that most transits were already being built in Turkey when the loan (not grant) was given and Ford announced the closure in 2012 anyway before the loan was given.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Theresa May has spoken. It is being reported by the Guardian, so it must be true.

Theresa May has denied climbing down over membership of the customs union after Britain leaves the European Union.

May said: “No, we are not [climbing down]. The United Kingdom will be leaving the customs union, we are leaving the European Union. Of course we will be negotiating future customs arrangements with the European Union 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/17/theresa-may-denies-customs-union-climbdown

How long will that take to sink in ? We are leaving the EU & the Customs Union.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I can't be bothered going back through 429 pages to see if this has been shown before.

Maybe these are a few good reasons why Brexit has some appeal. Found this in an old file. Perhaps it is a bit dated now; I don't know but there is a message there somewhere.

A short list of financial and industrial FUBARs from the EU

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers’ pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs.
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU.
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.
 The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

As you correctly stated, this list is rather old. A newer list would be much longer.

Many more company’s have now moved their production from the U.K to the E.U and elsewhere, financed by the Bureaucrats in Brussels. “Ophs” sorry I should have said, financed by British tax payers contribution.

But are the selfish remainers concerned? No, as it’s not their jobs that are being lost. It’s the jobs of the lower paid, who are now having to survive on no contract minimum wages.

C61D7D93-7014-444E-80F6-6E146F00C071.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orac said:

This has cropped up a few times on threads over the last couple of years and virtually all of them have been debunked as having nothing to do with the EU - if I remember the Ford one has a limited amount of truth to it but excludes that most transits were already being built in Turkey when the loan (not grant as given) and Ford announced the closure in 2012 anyway before the loan was given.

Indeed, several other are just the result of privatization - which means that any counties companies can buy UK ones. It doesn't happen so often the other way round, because other countries have not priovatived as much as we have. Blame neoliberalizm not the EU  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Theresa May has spoken. It is being reported by the Guardian, so it must be true.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/17/theresa-may-denies-customs-union-climbdown

How long will that take to sink in ? We are leaving the EU & the Customs Union.

You still believe what Theresa May says? The track  record for the last few years has not been good.

• Like 1

Indeed, several other are just the result of privatization - which means that any counties companies can buy UK ones. It doesn't happen so often the other way round, because other countries have not priovatived as much as we have. Blame neoliberalizm not the EU  

There is an excellent book by Nicholas Comfort called Surrender: How British Industry gave up the Ghost 1952-2012 that goes into painstaking detail of the demise of our great industries and companies. Unfortunately it is a bit out of date now since, IIRC, it gives Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds (GKN), dating back to 1759, as one of our only remaining great names however, with them being sold to Melrose a few months ago they are probably off as well.

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

C61D7D93-7014-444E-80F6-6E146F00C071.jpeg

Demographics suggest that we will be back very soon as older leaver die off and are replaced by younger pro-EU voters.

2 minutes ago, Orac said:

There is an excellent book by Nicholas Comfort called Surrender: How British Industry gave up the Ghost 1952-2012 that goes into painstaking detail of the demise of our great industries and companies. Unfortunately it is a bit out of date now since, IIRC, it gives Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds (GKN), dating back to 1759, as one of our only remaining great names however, with them being sold to Melrose a few months ago they are probably off as well.

And  a post Brexit Britain will be a most unfriendly place for manufacturers to work from. 

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

And  a post Brexit Britain will be a most unfriendly place for manufacturers to work from. 

But already salaries are falling compared to our peers. Soon enough regulations will be slashed, standards lowered, workers' rights eliminated - industry will come flooding back for some of that sweet, sweet freedom we are striving for.

• Like 1