Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

In other words, out with the democracy of the EU

The power of the EU lies with the European Commission.

Not much democracy in the appointing of the EU Commission.

The E. Parliament could not even halt the appointment of Selmayr 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

But it isn't still standing is it ?

imagine it or do want me to write it again ? Has the whole post disappeared or only a part ? If it bothers you ask the moderators, it's my bedtime.

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

anyway back to Brexit bickering....Vote Remain on June 23rd...

Image result for vote remain poster

We’ve been crying out for much too long

Now it’s time to dance to a different song

Smash it up ... Smash it up !

That was back in the Seventies, but people don’t grow up

14 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Quite.

So why did you highlight my comments that were pointing out the same.

It would have been sensible to highlight the garbage I replied to and then posted the above and then others would know what you were talking about.

Dontcha think ?

Do calm down

I am trying to be polite

Back on the day, conversations here were nested up to 7 levels so it was easy to refer back. Now it's more difficult particularly from a smart phone.

I responded using the word gentlemen, which is plural.

I fail to see how you can possibly take offence about my contribution

Would you like a biscuit?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Do calm down

I am trying to be polite

Back on the day, conversations here were nested up to 7 levels so it was easy to refer back. Now it's more difficult particularly from a smart phone.

I responded using the word gentlemen, which is plural.

I fail to see how you can possibly take offence about my contribution

Would you like a biscuit?

Still stuffed after my full English Brexit Brunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

imagine it or do want me to write it again ? Has the whole post disappeared or only a part ? If it bothers you ask the moderators, it's my bedtime.

Write it again if you want to, another member has inquired as to what you wrote so I'm sure they will be pleased to read your spite

4 hours ago, The Renegade said:

I am a sky diving, life saving paramedic, who wrestles bears in his spare time, whilst simultaneously climbing Everest in shorts and flip-flops.

In my spare time I don my Superman suit and make movies, dive off cliffs and swim shark infested waters to give a certain lady a lot more than a box of black magic chocolates.

Claims made from behind a keyboard are not '' Facts ''

I am indeed an expert in my field. Do you want me to bore you with the details? Let's just leave it that I used to make great chips. Analogue ones! OK

You really need to wind in your aggressive tone. 

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Write it again if you want to, another member has inquired as to what you wrote so I'm sure they will be pleased to read your spite

I don't even know what post you are referring to, there were several that may have offended you,(you get off on this right) anyway I would have forgotten the exact text, black daughter with ginger hair named after Diana and the whole nation drowning in a sea of sentimental snivelling snot, something along those lines, it's a situation that the gutter press could bore us for weeks with. You would have to have a heart of stone not to have found my remarks amusing.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I am indeed an expert in my field. Do you want me to bore you with the details? Let's just leave it that I used to make great chips. Analogue ones! OK

He has the same hobbies as me except I climbed Everest naked so I can't show anyone the pics

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I am indeed an expert in my field. Do you want me to bore you with the details?

Of course you are.

Just like I am half way up Everest in my shorts and flip - flops.

Those that sing their own praises are usually...........

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It seems to be an ever increasing tactic on social media where one 'takes offence' over something relatively benign in, I assume, an attept to diminish the standing of the individual who made the original comment and, thus, their contributions in general.

Yesterday Douglas Ross MP, a clown of a man who stated on TV that, were he PM, he would impose "tougher enforcement against gypsy travellers", was a linesman at the Celtic-Motherwell game, and he fell on his face on live TV. A Scottish MSP made a joke remark on Twitter than Ross would probably blame the SNP for his fall, and today Col. Ruth Davidson weighed into the fray, talking about how infantile and offensive the tweet was. It would be nice if she got so het up about the 120,000 people who are dead as a result of her party being in power, the Syrian and Yemeni children dead because of British bombs, or even just the slew of bigots and homophobes who represent the Tories at council and national level in Scotland, including Douglas Ross MP - but no, she chooses to 'take offence' at a joke about this rather inadequate MP falling over. Manufactured outrage - the scourge of modern debate.

I, and I think most others would agree with you, that what I term as ‘faux outrage syndrome’ is having a negative effect on social media.

I would however be interested to know if you read the initial comment that sparked the dialogue to which you now are exercising your right to comment on; if you did, and feel that it was relatively benign and unworthy of criticism, then fair enough, but if you did not read the (now deleted) original comment, I suggest that it is not quite so easy to formulate an opinion. Personally, I was not attempting to diminish the standing of the individual that made the comment, just the comment itself, which I found nasty, tasteless, crass, and full of spite .... I would appreciate knowing if you read the original comment 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It seems to be an ever increasing tactic on social media where one 'takes offence' over something relatively benign in, I assume, an attept to diminish the standing of the individual who made the original comment and, thus, their contributions in general.

Yesterday Douglas Ross MP, a clown of a man who stated on TV that, were he PM, he would impose "tougher enforcement against gypsy travellers", was a linesman at the Celtic-Motherwell game, and he fell on his face on live TV. A Scottish MSP made a joke remark on Twitter than Ross would probably blame the SNP for his fall, and today Col. Ruth Davidson weighed into the fray, talking about how infantile and offensive the tweet was. It would be nice if she got so het up about the 120,000 people who are dead as a result of her party being in power, the Syrian and Yemeni children dead because of British bombs, or even just the slew of bigots and homophobes who represent the Tories at council and national level in Scotland, including Douglas Ross MP - but no, she chooses to 'take offence' at a joke about this rather inadequate MP falling over. Manufactured outrage - the scourge of modern debate.

Apologies .... duplicate posting syndrome 

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

27 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't even know what post you are referring to, there were several that may have offended you,(you get off on this right) anyway I would have forgotten the exact text, black daughter with ginger hair named after Diana and the whole nation drowning in a sea of sentimental snivelling snot, something along those lines, it's a situation that the gutter press could bore us for weeks with. You would have to have a heart of stone not to have found my remarks amusing.

Ah, that old chestnut again …… I’ll post something really spiteful, malicious and offensive, I’ll then defend it to the hilt, until someone really calls me out, and then I will pretend that it was only humour, designed to amuse everyone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Grouse said:

And battered digital dory with mushy peas. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I didn't watch it, all I saw were newspaper reports dripping with sentimentality, even the Germans were in on it, side after side. I'm not telling you where to live,it means nothing to me, if you enjoyed it OK, I'm sure there are plenty who are sick of it, I'm one of them, that shouldn't upset you or anybody else, it's just my opinion, your personal enjoyment of the marriage didn't upset me. You seem big on emotion, get a grip.

What happened in your life, to make you such a bitter person?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Ah, that old chestnut again …… I’ll post something really spiteful, malicious and offensive, I’ll then defend it to the hilt, until someone really calls me out, and then I will pretend that it was only humour, designed to amuse everyone

Some are more thin skinned than others. If you read the press reports on the wedding and not just the gutter press, you will find them full of sickening sentimentality, plus who wore what, why this was worn, why he had this expression on his face, the empty chair for Diana but it wasn't etc. a German magazine that I normally hold in high regard showed pictures of two lavishly dressed women waiting in front of portable toilet's with the title 'people just like you and me' for Christ sake what else could be wrung out of it, the run up to the wedding was boring enough, what dress will she wear, will Harry have a shave etc. Now it's all about pregnancy and we will be expected to wait with baited breath for the 'baby bump', in between reports of morning sickness we may get some news printed. It's OK for old ladies I suppose.

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The appalling news coverage of the wedding, I think many royalists IQ's dropped 30 points.

For someone who doesn't like Royalty or the wedding you seem to be well read on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Because the UK is a Country in Europe

What has a World Government got to do with the EU ?

Because at the time the UK had a Commonwealth and after 2 World Wars, started by Germany, a United Europe was a preferred option.

Is the EEC the EU ?

Did Germany start 2 world wars?

I heard a different story about WW1.

A war about the colonies and an overdose of patriotism from all sides.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Did Germany start 2 world wars?

I heard a different story about WW1.

A war about the colonies and an overdose of patriotism from all sides.

I don't think you are correct there.

WW1 started with the asassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand and a chain of events led to WW1.

August 4, 1914 - Germany invades Belgium, leading Britain to declare war on Germany.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/59782/how-did-the-first-world-war-start

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Yes, I followed the thread of posts between the two of you. I am unaware as to which particular comment you object to, and if genuinely upset then that is your right to feel that way (but, of course, being offended doesn't make you right) but the reality is that one anonymous poster, who is equally free to make those comments, is unlikely to change the course of world history. Why do you want to drag it out over pages and pages? I feel the following is appropriate but I fear you also may take offence at that.

What is a 'gammon' and why am I suddenly seeing it everywhere?

Stephen Fry did put it rather well, I thought, although I believe he could have left out the expletive. My old English teacher used to tell me that, with English being such a wonderfuly expressive language, swearing was a sign of one having a poor grasp of it, although I don't think that can be a criticism levelled at Mr Fry - I presume he used it to create outrage, but I am not offended.

sfry.jpg

Thanks …. but if you are unaware of the particular comment that I objected to, you either did not see it before its deletion, or you are lacking in awareness, and I hope and suspect that it is not the latter.

Please understand that I did not claim that being offended made me right, however, I do have the right to be offended.

I have also become aware of an even more disturbing trend on this thread than taking offence; it is the support that some posters are giving to others simply because they are in agreement with the way they voted in the referendum, regardless of how crass and distasteful their comments might be. It is indeed rather sad if anyone is prepared to give primacy to their political views over their sense of decency in this respect. I sincerely hope that you are not falling victim to this trap, although I notice that you ask why I want to drag it out over pages and pages, rather than why we, want to.

Stephen Fry can say whatever he likes from his £3k a night rehabilitation bed, but I will retain my right to be indignant, whenever I feel that anyone has said something offensive, as I believe  the other poster has

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nontabury said:

What happened in your life, to make you such a bitter person?

I've been wondering exactly the same thing ..... where did all the bitterness, hatred and loathing come from. There must be a catalyst for it somewhere, very sad whatever the reasons  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Did you pretend that your comment about hundreds of billions of migrants in designer clothes with i phones flocking into Europe was only humour? I must have missed that!

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think you are correct there.

WW1 started with the asassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand and a chain of events led to WW1.

August 4, 1914 - Germany invades Belgium, leading Britain to declare war on Germany.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/59782/how-did-the-first-world-war-start

Really? A world war was started  because of the assassination of an arch duke?