Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 minute ago, The Renegade said:

Europe  will never speak and act as 1 block. Think the Russians might have something to say about that.

Indeed, this might be part of the reason for Brexit....

• Like 1

Just now, The Renegade said:

Europe  will never speak and act as 1 block. Think the Russians might have something to say about that.

Who knows things can change quickly in politics, another 20 years and a new political direction and maybe Russia could be in the EU, no more Nato and just three main blocks, USA, China and Europe, the world would be a simpler, safer place. 

13 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I am not being pedantic, and the meaning you attach to it is not near enough. I am not calling you out for a typo or punctuation, but for the completely incorrect use of a word.

Ironic that is you leavers that are always telling us that people of greater intellect and a better educational standard  voted to remain, while those that voted for Brexit were of a lower educational and social standing.

I guess I should be thanking you for exposing the myth

When I say I feel "quite disenfranchised" it is a saying. You understand precisely what I mean. We use our language in many similar ways to exaggerate a point, for emphasis or for irony for example.

Statistical analysis of the referendum vote showed that people with tertiary education tended to vote remain. Older people tended to vote leave. These are correlations. In fact there will be Gaussian distributions and therefore outliers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Especially within the EU

From rampant remainer George Osborne's new job

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/margareta-pagano-eu-must-learn-to-change-but-without-the-brits-it-s-doomed-a3845471.html

That change had better start happening quickly, or it is curtains for the EU.

Thanks for the article. I have been saying for a long time the the EU needs flexibility and change to avoid brittle fracture. We should be pushing for this from within instead of running off.

• Like 2

Despite many stories in the last few days that the Italian President would block the newly formed coalition’s choice of Prime Minister, this has appeared on the BBC website overnight  ….. arrivederci

“Italy president names novice Giuseppe Conte as populist PM

Italy's President Sergio Mattarella has accepted a political novice as prime minister, paving the way for two populist parties to form a government.

The anti-establishment Five Star Movement and right-wing League chose law professor Giuseppe Conte in a bid to end 11 weeks of political deadlock.

The 53-year-old has faced claims that he embellished his CV, which he denies.

Concerns remain over the two parties, which reject years of EU austerity and want to renegotiate Italy's debt.

Speaking after emerging from talks with the president, Mr Conte said: "Outside of this palace there's a country that rightfully awaits a new government and answers. What is about to be born is the government of change."

He added that he would be the "defender of all Italians on the international and European stage” Italy has been without a government since elections on 4 March, because no political group could form a majority.

Two populist party leaders, Luigi di Maio of the Five Star Movement and Matteo Salvini of the League, finally agreed a coalition deal after days of talks and later nominated Mr Conte as their candidate to be prime minister.

The coalition deal promises tax cuts, a guaranteed basic income for the poor and deportations of 500,000 migrants - policies that are likely to put the eurozone's third biggest economy on a collision course with Brussels”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Despite many stories in the last few days that the Italian President would block the newly formed coalition’s choice of Prime Minister, this has appeared on the BBC website overnight  ….. arrivederci

“Italy president names novice Giuseppe Conte as populist PM

Italy's President Sergio Mattarella has accepted a political novice as prime minister, paving the way for two populist parties to form a government.

The anti-establishment Five Star Movement and right-wing League chose law professor Giuseppe Conte in a bid to end 11 weeks of political deadlock.

The 53-year-old has faced claims that he embellished his CV, which he denies.

Concerns remain over the two parties, which reject years of EU austerity and want to renegotiate Italy's debt.

Speaking after emerging from talks with the president, Mr Conte said: "Outside of this palace there's a country that rightfully awaits a new government and answers. What is about to be born is the government of change."

He added that he would be the "defender of all Italians on the international and European stage” Italy has been without a government since elections on 4 March, because no political group could form a majority.

Two populist party leaders, Luigi di Maio of the Five Star Movement and Matteo Salvini of the League, finally agreed a coalition deal after days of talks and later nominated Mr Conte as their candidate to be prime minister.

The coalition deal promises tax cuts, a guaranteed basic income for the poor and deportations of 500,000 migrants - policies that are likely to put the eurozone's third biggest economy on a collision course with Brussels”

I'm quite upraised 

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Please don't give that hateful, anti-British piece of sh* James O'Brien any more attention than he already gets.

That is, without a doubt, the lowest I have seen on this thread for a while. The humanity and compassion James O'Brien displays in all the media in which he works is genuine and significant. You may not like the message because he puts the inherently kafkaesque unfairness of Brexit into perspective, but to call him anti British and insult him because of that shows just how threatened you feel by the truth. Yours is a genuinely shameful post.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

And that is the key phrase.

All the Anti-EU and Anti € rhetoric has disappeared and replaced with '' Defender of all Italians '' The policies advocated by the new Government are designed for a head to head with the EU. Let the EU object to these policies and it's goodnight and goodbye Brussels.

Absolutely ........ every policy this coalition proposes, and everything that they say, will have  Juncker and associates sliding deeper into their padded leather chairs, than even Farage at his most rumbustious had them.

This coalition are the bodacious new wave of Italy, put yer tin hats on, a bit sharpish

• Like 2

Another potential hammer blow for British businesses, and one that could directly impact me.

Brexit: Technology-based customs system 'could cost GBP20bn'

Besides my regular oilfield-trash job, I am partner and director in a company that imports groceries for retail distribution in Philippines. About 40% of our purchases are from small artisan food manufacturers in the UK. We try to keep logistics costs low by consolidating our orders - 2 or 3 pallets per supplier is not uncommon, all shipped together in a 40' container, meaning I could easilly have 6 or more different suppliers within one shipment. Shipping alone currently costs around 2,500 pounds for ambient goods and as much as 4,000 pounds for temperature controlled items. If I need to add another 8-10% to those logistics costs for Brexit related documentation, it makes a big difference to our margins.

I genuinely want to support British businesses for a variety of reasons, not least that I want British companies to succeed, but do I want to spend time, money and effort to develop a brand regionally now, knowing that there is a strong likelihood that additional costs will make it uncompetitive in the near future?

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Thanks for the article. I have been saying for a long time the the EU needs flexibility and change to avoid brittle fracture. We should be pushing for this from within instead of running off.

The "One day I will win the lottery" argument

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am partner and director in a company that imports groceries for retail distribution in Philippines.

If that is the case then you should already know that the system that you quote is for the movement of goods between UK - EU - UK 

There should be little or no change to the current system of moving goods between the UK - RoW - UK.

Why are you seeing drama when there is no drama to be seen ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

And others have pointed out time and time again that the eu has proven that there was no chance of reform from within.

Even now, the eu prefers bullying, scare tactics rather than reform ?.

Didn’t Cameron go off and fail to do just that?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Another potential hammer blow for British businesses, and one that could directly impact me.

Brexit: Technology-based customs system 'could cost GBP20bn'

Besides my regular oilfield-trash job, I am partner and director in a company that imports groceries for retail distribution in Philippines. About 40% of our purchases are from small artisan food manufacturers in the UK. We try to keep logistics costs low by consolidating our orders - 2 or 3 pallets per supplier is not uncommon, all shipped together in a 40' container, meaning I could easilly have 6 or more different suppliers within one shipment. Shipping alone currently costs around 2,500 pounds for ambient goods and as much as 4,000 pounds for temperature controlled items. If I need to add another 8-10% to those logistics costs for Brexit related documentation, it makes a big difference to our margins.

I genuinely want to support British businesses for a variety of reasons, not least that I want British companies to succeed, but do I want to spend time, money and effort to develop a brand regionally now, knowing that there is a strong likelihood that additional costs will make it uncompetitive in the near future?

Max fac won't fly anyway.

The so-called maximum facilitation model will never be accepted by the 27 side of the table. Not now. Not in five years. Not in 105 years. Because, consistent with what I said earlier about what the Customs Union actually is, no technological solution, current or future, ever solves the problem. You can have the most facilitated border in the world, but it’s still a facilitated border. And, as an external border of the EU, rather than the internal border we have now, it cannot look the same.

An explanation from the Freight Trade Association too.

“A haulier could lift a full trailer in Birmingham but it could contain 40 different consignments from 40 different producers. Then it comes to Northern Ireland and is broken down with mixed loads on different trucks going to different places, so a tracking device telling you the original truck had crossed the border does not tell you anything… Customs is only the tip of the iceberg and the biggest problem is sanitary and phytosanitary checks on agrifood. Twenty per cent of meat has to be checked and 50 per cent of chicken.

3 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

If that is the case then you should already know that the system that you quote is for the movement of goods between UK - EU - UK 

There should be little or no change to the current system of moving goods between the UK - RoW - UK.

If I can be assured that those costs won't be spread by manufacurers across all their exports, and restricted to only their EU exports then there would, indeed, be no cause for concern. But until I can receive such assurances, my uncertainty remains - that is my point. I am seeing drama because I enough uncertainty in my business; the less of it, the better for my nerves.

13 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Max fac will involve tracing all goods moving in the UK whether they are imported or not - if there is no customs barrier between UK and EU that is the only way to satisfy rules of origin requirements - you will need to prove goods declared as UK goods on export  did in fact originate in the UK.

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If I can be assured that those costs won't be spread by manufacurers across all their exports, and restricted to only their EU exports then there would, indeed, be no cause for concern

Sorry, forgive me but this has to be said.

You are looking for the impossible. 2 assurances in life, taxes and death. Everything else is a challenge for you to deal with.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If I can be assured that those costs won't be spread by manufacurers across all their exports, and restricted to only their EU exports then there would, indeed, be no cause for concern. But until I can receive such assurances, my uncertainty remains - that is my point. I am seeing drama because I enough uncertainty in my business; the less of it, the better for my nerves.

A trace of every movement from manufacturer to export is also needed as I said above, so you would be affected.

11 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Sorry, forgive me but this has to be said.

You are looking for the impossible. 2 assurances in life, taxes and death. Everything else is a challenge for you to deal with.

Don’t............ he already thinks he is a partner AND a director...........

• Like 1