Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

But only "smart" when it comes to his own, personal interests...

He clearly couldn't give a damn about the opinion of the constituency he is supposed to represent...

You really should read up on our own political system. This is what gets me; people spout about all sorts of issues but don't know the basics.

You may wish MPs were there just to represent the majority view of their constituents. They are not.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grouse said:

That's an excellent example of representative democracy in action. Change the system if you don't like it!

An example perhaps but certainly not an excellent one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

You really should read up on our own political system. This is what gets me; people spout about all sorts of issues but don't know the basics.

You may wish MPs were there just to represent the majority view of their constituents. They are not.

There is lots of wishing that the world was different from the one we have involved in brexit . Sadly for them all their wishes won't make it happen.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Reminds me of a line from one of Gilbert and Sullivan's songs :-

'He always voted for his party's call

and never thought of thinking for himself at all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

You and grouse are of one mind when it comes to parliamentary sovereignty.

You both think it means ignoring the votes of the electorate - even after one of the very rare referendums - and the govt. promising to enact the wishes of the electorate!

Nobody is saying that MPs should ignore their constituents. The MP should listen carefully to his consitituents and take a decision based on his conscience as to what is in their best interests. All of them.

Did your mum always give you what you wanted or do you think she acted in your best interests and went to Bingo instead?

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

From: https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/fymp/yaympenglish.pdf

The Role of an MP

MPs have responsibilities to three main groups: their constituents, Parliament and their political party. One MP is elected to the House of Commons by each of the UK’s 600+ constituencies. MPs’ duties in Parliament include participating in debates and voting on legislation and other matters. They may also be members of committees examining new laws or the work of government departments. Some have a role as a minister in government or a spokesperson in opposition. MPs can help their constituents by advising on problems (particularly those that arise from the work of government departments), representing the concerns of their constituents in Parliament and acting as a figurehead for the local area. MPs usually support their party by voting with its leadership in the House of Commons and acting as a representative for the party in their constituency.

If the Rt Hon Member for Bracknell couldn't perform 2/3 of his roles then he probably should have not stood in the first place. He did the right thing to resign but this does not help his constituents.

I hope one of those highly intelligent remainers will come along and point out in the above, or here

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/mps/

the words:

''  Voting with their conscience ''

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tebee said:

You need to have standards - and agencies to enforce those standards - if you want to export anywhere.

???

Diesel scandals

Egg scandals

Beef scandals

Yeah, great in theory, totally different in practice.

The EU is great at issuing dic-tats, not much good at enforcing them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Is it possible that you could stop talking garbage ?

Please think about this more deeply

MPs are there to represent the interests of everyone in the constituency. The pros, the antis, the don't cares, the disadvantaged, the deranged. All of you.

What do you want? Hanging? Free beer? Castration of paedophiles?

I think the UK system works well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I thought that parliamentary piece was rather facile and dumbed down. It's about time we were all treated as adults frankly.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

MPs are there to represent the interests of everyone in the constituency. The pros, the antis, the don't cares, the disadvantaged, the deranged. All of you.

All of you ?

Are you different from me ? Or do you speak as a non - Brit ?

18 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The MP should listen carefully to his consitituents and take a decision based on his conscience as to what is in their best interests. All of them.

So manifestos mean nothing. Say anything you want to get elected then listen to what your constituents say but most importantly be true to yourself  and vote according to your conscience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tebee said:

You seem to misunderstand what the term represent means in this context - they are there to represent the constituents interests, not their views. 

They are assumed to have a better understanding of things than the man on the street - lets face it, it's their job to understand how government works. Because of this they are given the choice and responsibility to vote as they see fit  to secure the best interests of those constituents. 

This is the principal of representative democracy - they are not there merely to parrot the views of those constituents.- if they where how was hanging ever abolished, when there is a majority of the country in favor of it? 

Nicely put!

Astonishing that so many of our countrymen don't understand!

I put it down to "secondary modern education"

Ill bet they all understand the off side rule though!?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

There isn't even a bedsted let alone a bed of nails. It's an Ikea bed, the packet has been ordered but all that has arrived are the assembly instructions and nobody really understands them.?

Did you mean this sort of bedstead?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Renegade said:

If anyone misunderstands it is you.

You are correct and everyone is wrong ? A condition that appears to have inflicted Grouse also.

It is medical, it is called delusion.

Even the Governments own website is wrong ??

I assure you that my understanding of this is correct. You may not like this system but I am telling you the truth.

3 hours ago, aright said:

Hanging was likely a free vote not governed by a manifesto. It would be interesting to see the stats on it though.

If the will of the people can be overridden by conscience and personal views you might just as well have the computer randomly pick 650 names and send them to Parliament 

This is truly amazing!

So many people don't understand our "constitution"

Explains a great deal sadly

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Which country would that be for you?

The UK, France or Thailand?

Belgium I think, Brussels to be precise. 

After all, he claimed to have a vote at the EU level, which was quickly backtracked on when questioned.

Edited by The Renegade
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, aright said:

On the abortion issue, lets suppose an MP is opposed to it perhaps on religious or moral grounds but he represents a constituency which is 70% pro abortion. 

In an Abortion bill how should he vote?

On his conscience. Clearly.

49 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

You really should not talk about yourself in that manner.

That interest would be a majority vote within their constituency.

Not correct. An MP is elected not on a majority of votes, but largest vote within a constituency. However a party forming a government should be able to command a majority or at least command a majority of MPs voting in the event of a vote of confidence. A minority government may continue until such time as it loses the confidence of the House.

2 hours ago, The Renegade said:

You're a really funny guy, a real hoot

Now go away and learn how to spell bedstead, instead of trying to be a wiseguy.

You've been doing well today.

Don't spoil the discussion with complaints about spellinks